New WRX 2012... rough transition to a manual or too short?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New WRX 2012... rough transition to a manual or too short? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! After driving a Corolla for the past 5 years I have realized how much I truly missed a Subaru. ...

New WRX 2012... rough transition to a manual or too short?

Hello!

After driving a Corolla for the past 5 years I have realized how much I truly missed a Subaru. A couple of weeks ago I was ecstatic when my 2012 WRX finally came in. The car is amazing and tons of fun, my only problem is I can barely drive it.

I am willing to admit that I am still fairly terrible with a manual but am beginning to wonder if me barely being able to reach the clutch is having an effect on my driving. I am using the tips of my toes for the clutch and have a rough time getting a smooth transition to get into first. My heel never touches the floor and I am moving in my seat just to shift. I actually wear my hiking boots to drive and that helps significantly.

I’ve seen some pedal extenders online and am wondering if anyone has ever had similar problems. Am I just not picking this up quickly enough or would some modifications be beneficial?

Edit: I'm 5'! Sorry I forgot that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Aliza; 05-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How tall are you???
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

5' Suppose that the most important part!

Is your seat moved all the way forward? Pedal extenders seem like they would be a pain.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    My mom uses pedal extenders. She is 4'11". They work great for her, but she doesn't drive a manual.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Is your seat moved all the way forward? Pedal extenders seem like they would be a pain.
    The seat is all the way forward. Though it is extremely uncomfortable this way since it pushes my knee against the dash. Pedal extenders do look ridiculous but I'm willing to do anything to make driving easier at this point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well these are the ones my mom got installed.

PedalMates (by CCI) - Adjustable Pedal Extensions

Worth a shot!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeha may need the extenders, especially if the seat is moved up
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm gonna prolly pay for this one but I swear I always think of this when my gf use to drives one of my cars
    Hold On To Your POTATOES - YouTube

I did search for pedal extensions and there are a bunch of options out there for you. here's a link to one of the co's that makes them ( I used these guys since they are the only ones I could find that shows you a pic of a clutch pedal extender )
    Pedal Extensions - ideal for shorter drivers to increase safety

another link for ya
    Corvette EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension

I would think these cars should be ok for someone 5ft and long torso. It's a japanese car (I'm asian and not tall, so don't flame). There are a few things about seat positioning that helps.

Raise your seat. Yes, RAISE it higher. It lowers the angle of the knee area and lets you extend lower.
    Push in your steering column. You can push it in and pull it out. Make sure you have good distance because airbags are not friendly.
    Make sure your back is upright. People drive laying down these days. But trust me, when you're sliding on the highway trying to not hit the wall, you'll be glad you're not slouching.

My wife is like 5'3" and she had no problem with a little adjustment after me. I'm 5'6". She could have moved a few inches in, so I would think 5' should be fine w/o extenders.

Don't worry about your manual driving skills. These cars can tend to be more tough then other 2-wheel drive manuals at some/many times. As time progresses you will get smoother shifts. my oppinions about the pedal extenders? they just seem like a bad idea to me, especially in a manual, but idk im probably very wrong. Personally I'd try to get a seat cover and put that foam people use on their matresses, just put that inbetween ur seat and the seat cover. makes you more comfortable, and better positioned.

Banned
    Move/raise your seat/adjust steering column so that you can see the gauges, your left foot can easily put the clutch all the way down and it is not too uncomfortable. extend your arms so that your wrists can fold over the top of the steering wheel. as for driving with the manual, you should know how the transmission works. Basically you have your clutch and your flywheel. the flywheel is connected to the motor, the engine spins the flywheel and your clutch is connected to the driveshaft, (turns the tires) so when you put your foot down on the clutch your removing the contact between the clutch and the flywheel. when you let your foot off the clutch, your re-engaging the clutch to the flywheel (aka the power, aka "the beans.) in the 2012 wrx the clutch will engage the flywheel (i.e. make contact/friction) immediately. So the second you start letting your foot off the clutch, it will start gripping the flywheel. one easy sign that you will notice, is your RPMs will drop and if you do not give the engine some gas, the car will stall (bad-death-avoid) what you need to do is practice on some back roads with no traffic. starting and stopping. getting into 1st gear is the hardest part. How to do it smoothly... put your foot down on the clutch, put it into first gear (foot still all the way down, right foot probably on the break) now move your right foot from the break over to the accelerator, bring the RPMs (engine speed) to 2000RPM and let your foot off the clutch HALFWAY until the car starts moving, and then let off all the way keeping your foot on the accelerator.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.