New Member from Cali, looking to buy. HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Member from Cali, looking to buy. HELP! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! First post here. Thank you all for having me. I am looking to buy myself a WRX. My 2005 ...

New Member from Cali, looking to buy. HELP!

Hello! First post here. Thank you all for having me.

I am looking to buy myself a WRX. My 2005 Lancer OZ-Rally (used, had a previous owner) is on the downward spiral in the clutch and transmission department, and considering the repairs would exceed what I payed for her, I feel that it is time to look to new horizons for my second car. I have wanted a Subaru for a long time. The longing to own one came from my older brother who would pour over Trade Express and other used car magazines and websites looking for good deals on them.

I have found a 2010 Black 4Dr WRX with 29,032 miles on it. It was the car of one of the employees at the dealership that it is being sold from (he sold it to get a truck for convenience reasons). He said that it had a factory installed STI Short Throw (which I can't seem to find as an option on the '12's with the "build One" option on the Subaru website). Besides that, he replaced the stock tires and said that he never raced it. The only problem is that the car is being sold by his company and he is trying to sell it (Obviously hungry for commission, just like any other employee at a dealership) and I don't know how well I can trust him. Any advice? I'd like to not have to pay for CarFax if I can avoid it. The dealership offers a free report, but I've heard that they are quite vague compared to the actual paid-for reports.

Is the more aggressive body styling of the 2011 (vs. the 2010) worth the extra money? The 2010 (as mentioned above) is going for 22,995, which is a bit out of my price range, but I would still buy it if it seems like a legit deal.

Thanks a lot again mates. I love reading up on the forums about the WRX and it has me drooling and chomping at the metaphorical bit for this gorgeous machine.
    Hopeful Owner of a 2010+ WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Cali is in Colombia.

Trust no one. Pay more than a CarFax to have an independent mechanic look over the car. Ask for a full service history since new with all parts and maintenance documented. Walk away from a modified car.

Only a car with FSH and authentic parts plus a smog certificate and valid factory warranty is worth your time.

Aesthetics are a matter of opinion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    By the way, consider paying a bit more for a 2013.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cali is in Colombia? Do please explain to me what that means haha. :P Cali as in California.

The extra couple grand is a bit too much for a college student sadly. :/ Otherwise I would love a 2013.

I'd keep looking if I were you. I wouldn't have bought a WRX if it didn't have the STI body style.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I'd keep looking if I were you. I wouldn't have bought a WRX if it didn't have the STI body style.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

bump, looking for more opinions

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome i picked an 11 wrx to get the sti body. Good luck on your search
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

The '11 and '12 body is worth it if you like the looks a lot better, and that is totally subjective. Personally, once I found good pricing and realized I could afford a new one, it was a no-brainer. I think the wide-body look is much better than the '08-'10. As far as driving difference, you do get a little wider stance and tires, and I believe some rear bushings out of the STI. Which is to say, not a huge difference, depending on who you talk to.

The '10 you're looking at, do you know what trim level it is?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The 2010 is a base sedan with the factory installed short shifter as the only added package.

I Support ClubWRX
    To me its all about the price,not the looks.If the 2010 can be had for less that would be great.But at the current price you are looking to pay just $2000 less than the price of a new(warrantied) car.Also your car would run out of warranty in 6k miles.

Also keep in mind(there is no definitive news),but if there is a model change in 2013,the older 2010 will depreciate even more.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

That's a great bit of advice rage-wrx, I didn't think about that. So try to talk the price down/find a cheaper one, and maybe wait till August-ish to get it?

I have another question. I was just offered a 2011 white WRX sedan with 3,750 miles for $25,500 by a member of clubWRX, but it is a bit over my price range. Wait for the 2010 to depreciate, or will the 2011 do the same?

I Support ClubWRX
    What trim is the sedan?

There is still no definitive news on the 2013.So unless there is some drastic change don't expect too much of a depreciation.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

One of my co-workers used to work at a car dealership. His advice to me when I was looking for a car was DO NOT BUY the vehicle the employees/managers drive - his dad was looking to purchase one of these vehicles and he gave him the same advice. They beat it to hell. He has told me of numerous experiences where he has seen employees/managers burning out/pushing the car every chance they get. Unless there is an experienced Subaru mechanic you know and trust who will look over every single part/piece of the vehicle, and do leakdown and compression testing, I would stay far away.

It may never have been "raced" but for that you need an "opponent". I don't think its considered "racing" if you shift at red-line but aren't "versing", or trying to beat someone else. Technically he could be telling the truth going by that definition, but I would take anything he tells you well salted.

My .02

Good luck in your search!

Edited for spelling

Rage: he didn't specify, and currently isn't responding to PM

Wrxtra: that's some great advice, I would have definitely gone in blind if I hadn't checked clubWRX haha. You've all given me sound advice as well a others in Chat.

Does anyone know a good Subie mechanic in SLO county, Central Coast California?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.