Finally got my own.. Any advice?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Finally got my own.. Any advice? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I'm really new, just bought a 2002 wrx a week ago. Been reading this forum for some time ...

Finally got my own.. Any advice?

Hey guys I'm really new, just bought a 2002 wrx a week ago. Been reading this forum for some time now, just hoping to get answers and advice when working on my car. Also have to say there's a ton of subaru love in WI it's awesome. I'm coming from an old honda civic so it's a huge step up.
    If you have any advice for me on where to start modification wise, let me know. Not looking to do a ton, maybe some more horse power otherwise looking for some springs and struts. My friend's always use coilovers and i'm wondering if that's a bad idea for this car? Sorry if I'm asking stupid stuff, im just the new kid.
    Charlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    depends on what you want in the end. If your going to track your car a high end coilover would be good. If not a good spring strut combo is going to give you great results even for auto x

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Since your car is in an area that gets severe winter, I'd see coilovers as a hassle because they are not maintenance-free even in SoCal, and they can be quite harsh. I see no advantage to lifting/lowering the car since I'd have to align it all over, and would rather have something as comfortable as possible. Just IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Grats on the purchase and welcome!
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, congrats on the car. yeah if you track the car, i heard coilovers are worth it but if not then springs and struts. Im looking to get lowering springs and struts for mine.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Start with a catless uppipe, you can either go after market or use the 05-07 sti uppipe. And then go to an after market catted downpipe. You can find both new or used just depends on your price range and they'll give you +10-15 hp each.

Alright thanks, I definitely wont track the car. I was planning on putting it really low but now im not sure since i dont wanna destroy anything. That's why I'd be looking at coils. towards the horsepower side i was thinking an exhaust but im not quite sure what else i'd want to do. i definitely have some ideas but honestly im just excited how the car is right now. What kind of mods would be a bad idea?
    and feel free to correct me im trying to learn everything i can about these and in some areas im clueless

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First off don't drop it more than an ~1.5", less is better. It will handle like crap because of the change in suspension geometry.

Here is a quick primer on how to do power mods. that are suitable for your specific car.
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

well i was just coming here to say hey nevermind, i just found that link haha. anyways, the only reason i want to go really low is because my friends and i are into stance sort of stuff. but like i said im happy as is so im gonna wait. thanks for the help

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, that is a personal decision. Just keep in mind that educated people outside of your scene will recognize that your car's safety, performance, handling (and reliability if you go with crazy offset wheels) are compromised for the sake of appearance and will make snide comments behind your back.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.