I just ordered my first Subaru!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I just ordered my first Subaru! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I've been trolling the forums for a few weeks and I finally registered yesterday. I figured I should ...

I just ordered my first Subaru!

Hey guys,

I've been trolling the forums for a few weeks and I finally registered yesterday. I figured I should introduce myself before I started randomly posting in other threads, so here it goes...

My name is Nick and I live in Cincinnati, OH. For the past ten years I've been daily driving and modifying turbocharged VWs, specifically the 1.8L Turbo found in the 4th generation Jetta and GTI. More specifically I've owned three different Jettas and an Audi TT Quattro, with my most impressive car topping 300 front wheel horsepower and running a high 12 second quarter mile. Needless to say, I'm no stranger to the world of modifed 4 cylinder turbo engines and I'm addicted to boost!

Anyway, to keep this somewhat brief, I got fed up with being nicked and dimed by my most recent VW (a 2005 Jetta GLI) so I sold it last September. I bought my Dad's 2001 Hyundai Elantra as a daily driver and gave up on modified cars for a while. This allowed me to focus my attention on some much needed work around the house but also got really boring... So yeah, about a month ago, I got the itch and decided to start shopping around for a new car. Being a VW guy who is addicted to turbocharged 4 cylinders, I had convinced myself I was going to buy a new 2012 Jetta GLI. However after driving one (I wasn't impressed) and reading about some of the problems people were having with them, I decided to broaden my search. It just so happened that an old VW friend of mine (go figure) was selling Subarus for a local dealership and when he heard I was in the market for a new car he mentioned the 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX. At first I was skeptical but after a few weeks of research I broke down and decided to go test drive one this past Monday. It was love at first drive and thankfully for me, I was able to submit a new purchase order one day before the cutoff. So there you have it, sometime in the next 4 to 10 weeks I will be the owner of a brand new 2012 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan with Navigation. I ordered it in WR Blue with the 5 speed STI short shift kit, the SPT front lip spoiler, All Weather Mats and the 10" Powered Kicker Subwoofer. I couldn't be more excited to become a new Subaru owner and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about the car before it arrives!

As for the car, it will be my daily driver and with my first child arriving in September, I can't go too crazy with modifications... I already plan to tint the windows, order a new set of wheels and tires and change out a few light bulbs for LEDs but that will be it for the first 1000 miles or so. In the meantime I have a lot to learn about the 2.5 liter Boxer engine. I'm assuming software and a turbo back exhaust are the most worthwhile upgrades but as for what kind of software and what kind of exhaust, I have no idea where to start. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice I can get when it comes to engine mods. I'm fairly sound when it comes to suspension and to be honest I don't know if I want to mess with the suspension on the WRX but I won't rule out a modest drop (springs only, I've had enough of coilovers) or some new sway bars in the future. For now I just want to get to the car broken in and from there I'll take my time and do my research before moving forward. Thanks in advance for any advice and I'm glad to be a new member of the Subaru community!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Congrats on the purchase.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome!

Here's the modding sticky: First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Basically, the progression is thus:
    1. Stage 1. Cobb's Accessport is popular, they have a number of maps you can flash. The other route is to buy a Tactrix cable and use that in conjunction with a laptop and some free software to tap into the world of opensource tuning. Torqued Performance offers popular maps for purchasing and will tweak them for you after purchase based on datalogging. That is the cheaper route than the Cobb, research both and decide what would be best for you.
    2. Stage 2. A stage 2 tune requires at least a downpipe. There are a number to choose from, again research them and see what works for you.

That's the basic basics, so welcome and I'll feel free to volunteer all the guys who've been around much longer than me to answer any further questions!

*ninja smoke bomb*
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Thanks for the input Calvinball!

Anybody know which exhaust will give me the most performance gains while keeping the noise level down? Something tells me my wife will not be thrilled with a loud exhaust and a newborn in the same house...
    - Nick

2012 WRB Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    you can use a stock exhaust with a dp and run stage 2. you will get performance gains and stay quiet
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I was thinking about having the dealership install the SPT catback when the car arrives. Then I will install a 3" downpipe with cat when it comes time to go to stage 2. While I haven't heard this setup in person, judging by the videos I've heard on youtube it appears to be a very acceptable option. Ideally I want an exhaust that has a nice low rumble at idle and a deeper tone than stock when I get on it.
    - Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.5TurboWRX View Post
    I was thinking about having the dealership install the SPT catback when the car arrives. Then I will install a 3" downpipe with cat when it comes time to go to stage 2. While I haven't heard this setup in person, judging by the videos I've heard on youtube it appears to be a very acceptable option. Ideally I want an exhaust that has a nice low rumble at idle and a deeper tone than stock when I get on it.
    the spt will do this for ya, ive heard it in person and its quite nice but quiet for my taste
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome to the site. Sounds like the SPT might be a good option for you in regards to what you are looking for.
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

^ What they said. But the downpipe will also change the sound a bit on it's own. Now, I confess I don't know exactly how it does on a WRX, but both my previous cars (after I got into modding) I did downpipe only as I didn't want the car any louder (and wanted more of a sleeper look). With those two it did deepen the exhaust note without adding much volume, so depending on what you're going for you may be happy with just a dp.

Can anyone give an account on what/if the exhaust sound changes are with just a dp?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I don't mind paying for the SPT Catback. My friend at the dealership can hook me up on the price and have it installed for free. And I know from my VW days that when you add a DP to a turbo car, it definitely changes the sound. I'm hoping that a catted downpipe with the "quieter" SPT cat back will result in a deep, mellow exhaust tone. I guess I'll find out whenever I decide to go to stage 2. For now I'd be happy getting my VIN# and an ETA from the dealership...

Thanks for the replies!
    - Nick

My car arrived last Friday!!!

I made a late addition to my order and had the dealership install the SPT Cat Back Exhaust. This was by far the best decision I made. It sounds amazing!!!

The car had six miles on it when I picked it up and it just rolled over 500 miles yesterday. So far, my first week of ownership has been awesome. I can't wait to get through the break in period and see what this thing can really do!

Anyway, on to the good stuff...

Last edited by 2.5TurboWRX; 09-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    - Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast