engine break in and shifting gears

This is a discussion on engine break in and shifting gears within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Got my 12 Rex base model 4 door, WR Blue, last week. Been loving every minute of driving it. But ...

engine break in and shifting gears

Got my 12 Rex base model 4 door, WR Blue, last week. Been loving every minute of driving it. But have a couple questions for more well-seasoned WRX owners/enthusiasts.

During engine break in, is it necessary to change the oil prior to 3500 miles (basing that number on what people are saying is the ACTUAL warranty coverage)? My salesman didn't mention anything like that, just to take it easy the first 1500 obviously. I'm coming up on 500 miles soon.

Second, do any 12 owners have issues w shifting from 4 to 5? I'm unsure if its just the break in process but it seems to either not wanna go to 5th smoothly or I'm just having a really hard time finding the right path from 4-5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It took a while for me to get from 4th to 5th. It wasnt as smooth though the more I drive it it did get better.

What shifter do you have also did you get the bushings? If not im sure there will be more then enough people saying to get the Kartboy or other bushings.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should not need to change the oil before the factory recommended interval.

Bushings will help with vagueness in shifting.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    i never changed the oil early during break in and no issues here. I had the factory sts and bushing installed and mine shifted good from the start
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

shifting will get smoother as it breaks in.. however above recommendations for aftermarket bushings will definitely give good results.

When I bought my '10 I went on regular interval for all oil changes. Actually I did this at the dealer until the car reached 60K mi or so. Your's specs synthetic oil from the start where mine did not, but I changed over at 10K mi and have been that way since.

You "can" change the oil early, it will not hurt anything however you don't HAVE to change it early.

I have over 80K mi on the car now and still change with full synthetic and oem filter every 3750 mi and have had no issues what so ever.

fyi, breakin is 1k mi .. unless they've changed the recommendation in the manual. That said, if they have just follow the manual to the word and you'll be fine. Stay with full synthetic and 3750mi interval and you'll be golden.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Break in is still written as 1k miles, keeping rpms below 4k and no hard starts or stops.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"