New 2012 STI- Exhaust advice

This is a discussion on New 2012 STI- Exhaust advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just purchased my brand new 2012 STI 3 days ago and still haven't even broken her in yet but in ...

New 2012 STI- Exhaust advice

Just purchased my brand new 2012 STI 3 days ago and still haven't even broken her in yet but in the future I do plan on doing some aftermarket additions to it. The dealer was very vague when they say what would and what wouldn't void warranty as far adding performance parts to the car and I have heard different things from numerous people. I really want to make her purr with a new exhaust (which they said wouldn't- only things that would are adding pipes that directly come of the engine itself like up/down pipes, wiring, air, and messing around with the ecu/computer). I have also heard that if i were to get an exhaust that i would need a tune, which i would assume would void warranty? Anyone here have any knowledge about this stuff?

And, if i were to get an exhaust, which are some good brands and what not. I am not willing to nickle and dime this car and would rather pay the extra money for a better performing exhaust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

A catback will not require a tune, but it also won't do much in terms of performance. Go to local meets, listen to what other owners have on their car, and find out what you like in terms of look/sound. Exhaust recommendations are too personal; what I may like, someone else wouldn't.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Your dealer was probably vague because it becomes a vague situation...worthless answer I know. Lemme splain.

The warranty doesn't get "voided", per se. But if you put on aftermarket parts and then have an issue, the dealership will consider it on a case by case basis whether the aftermarket parts could have caused the problem, in which case they will deny that particular claim. You could then come back a week later with a different issue that they might fix under warranty, if they determine that the aftermarket parts had no effect.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Your dealer was probably vague because it becomes a vague situation...worthless answer I know. Lemme splain.
    Yes, yes, and yes. The dealer simply can not afford to wade into those murky waters by telling you what mods can or will violate warranty . Although some people may say there is little to no grey area involved (I've read many arguments on this subject), I stand on the other side of the issue. If you mod your car and have warranty-related claims to pursue, you must also be willing to put up with a potential hassle when you bring the car to the dealer for repairs (particularly engine and drive line).
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post

The warranty doesn't get "voided", per se. But if you put on aftermarket parts and then have an issue, the dealership will consider it on a case by case basis whether the aftermarket parts could have caused the problem, in which case they will deny that particular claim. You could then come back a week later with a different issue that they might fix under warranty, if they determine that the aftermarket parts had no effect.
    +1
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

I love my SPT exhaust. Not to loud to be obnoxious but still plenty loud to leave a smile on your face. Plus SPT won't void the warranty.
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

+1 on the SPT. Add some dynamat in the trunk and the SPT sounds fantastic without rattling your head. Overall the sound is personal though, and Ej257 has the best advice (listen to others and decide)
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1