New to Subaru (2012 WRX), New to Forum, Question regarding Power Loss
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to Subaru (2012 WRX), New to Forum, Question regarding Power Loss within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just picked up a new 2012 Wrx two weeks ago. I've tried to adhere to the break-in recommendation to the ...

New to Subaru (2012 WRX), New to Forum, Question regarding Power Loss

Just picked up a new 2012 Wrx two weeks ago. I've tried to adhere to the break-in recommendation to the best of my ability, although I can't say it never went to 5ish. Anyway, the turbo used to kick in around 2,800-3,000 RPMs, now it doesn't seem to kick in until 4,000 or even later and it's definitely not the kick it was when I first pulled off the lot. It almost seems like the engine is flooded a bit. And when I push down the accelerator I almost feel little hesitations or shuttering. I know everyone say you get used to the power and therefore it seems slow, but the engine doesn't seem likes it's responding as it did for the first 300 miles. I want to take it in since it is under warranty, but I'm afraid the dealer might say they can't find anything wrong with it. Is this temperment common to turbo engines. I always thought that was the turbos of old. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll start by saying Welcome.

As for the power loss goes, I've never experienced this (except when my motor blew at 6k miles) and there was a significant loss in power on my way home from my friends house, this drive was when I realized the motor was blown due to no response, and the horrible noise coming from it.

Also, I've read on here about people getting hairline spits in the hoses exiting the turbo.
    Honestly, it's got a warrantee, let the dealership check it out.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any check engine lights? It almost sounds like you're having a misfire issue.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Honestly, it's got a warranty, let the dealership check it out.
    Truf here...I'd heed Mike's suggestion.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Trust your judgement, use the warranty, take it in.

At the very least, if they don't find anything, you'll have it on record that you had them look at it. You never know if/when that could be important.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Truf here...I'd heed Mike's suggestion.
    +3
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sounds like a boost leak to me and a CEL will not always be thrown when you have one. Check the piping coming from the throttle body to the top mount. Those little rubber slips around the pipe are crap just remove them and t-clamp that rubber hose and issue will go away. Hell I have even had it pop off after I went FMIC.
    2011 WRX 345WHP/398WTQ E85
    My Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...uild-date.html

Are you sure you are not experiencing the "break in engine" mode. By pressing hard on WOT you definitely feel it the power surged around 3500 RPM for me. Now that I just passed 3K over the weekend, the engine is ab it tame now. But I still feel the power and maybe the engine throttle adjusted to my shifting habit a bit more.

But I'm no expert here....
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

Quote Originally Posted by turbogolfcart View Post
    Just picked up a new 2012 Wrx two weeks ago. I've tried to adhere to the break-in recommendation to the best of my ability, although I can't say it never went to 5ish. Anyway, the turbo used to kick in around 2,800-3,000 RPMs, now it doesn't seem to kick in until 4,000 or even later and it's definitely not the kick it was when I first pulled off the lot. It almost seems like the engine is flooded a bit. And when I push down the accelerator I almost feel little hesitations or shuttering. I know everyone say you get used to the power and therefore it seems slow, but the engine doesn't seem likes it's responding as it did for the first 300 miles. I want to take it in since it is under warranty, but I'm afraid the dealer might say they can't find anything wrong with it. Is this temperment common to turbo engines. I always thought that was the turbos of old. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I know this was posted last year, but I have had a similar experience with my 2013 WRX. The car always felt a little rough around the edges, which from what I read, was normal. However, I recently plugged in a OBD2 bluetooth reader and Torque pro android app, and my boost was never climbing past 4 PSI under heavy acceleration. I did a datalog, and my air fuel ratio was boucing around from 10-20 and all numbers in between. In talking with some friends who work with turbos and reading forums, it seems to be a boost leak. No CEL codes were thrown, but just an obvious decrease in power and smoothness. I will report back after my service appt. in 2 days.

Also, my friend brought up a good point that anyone having this problem must insist that their spark plugs be checked...If you are driving around (like I have) for a few months with this issue, your spark plugs might be close to shot, corroded, or what have you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.