got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Took my car at my 1st oil synthetic service over the weekend. Interesting enough, the service guy told me, its ...

got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles

Took my car at my 1st oil synthetic service over the weekend. Interesting enough, the service guy told me, its okay to use regular oil but must be replaced every 3500 to 3700. That's interesting because it will save a lot $$ rather than paying $79 every time. But has anyone use regular oil and change their oil every 3500 miles?
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    Took my car at my 1st oil synthetic service over the weekend. Interesting enough, the service guy told me, its okay to use regular oil but must be replaced every 3500 to 3700. That's interesting because it will save a lot $$ rather than paying $79 every time. But has anyone use regular oil and change their oil every 3500 miles?
    Regular oil is in wide use everywhere but the comment about oil is not relevant.

Only what the manufacturer requires is relevant. If an oil meets the specifications in the manual, you can use it and if you ever have a problem and can document your oil changes, SOA will have to repair the problem under the terms of the warranty.

It's really as simple as that.

The issue isn't whether an oil will work or even whether an oil will be absolutely brilliant in the motor for a given time. The issue is only the requirements stated in the warranty booklet.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the side info but it doesn't help answer my main question....
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

Pretty much, Subaru Of America (SOA) states in the manual that the engine requires this specific oil, and if anything breaks then they are not covering it under warrantee. Another words, them saying, 'We built this car to work like this, do this it will work and if by chance it doesn't we will replace it. If you don't do what we suggest then we can almost guarantee the car won't respond as it should (wear on parts sooner, parts breaking, etc.) and we will not be held responsible.

If ya ask me, I'm going to follow their instructions on how to keep the car running as best as possible. If I wanted to save the extra cash every couple thousand miles I would've went with a vehicle that does not require synthetic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    Pretty sure that Subaru says to only use synthetic with their turbocharged engines. I think that's what SD was getting at. You could certainly use regular and it may be fine, but if you were to have a problem that could be grounds for a warranty denial.

Personally, I don't intend to use regular in my car. I researched it years ago and came up with good reasons why (my old car required synthetic too) but honestly can't remember what research I came up with back then.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    SoA wants you to use synthetic oil and they have a Technical Service Bulletin out stating the change of oil every 3 months or 3750 miles for turbocharged vehicles.

Yes 2008-2012 WRX owners, this means you as well even tho the brand new owners manual still currently states a longer oil change interval the TSB overrides that.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brew04 View Post
    Engine Oil specifications from the owners manual.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/636...andstic_20.pdf
    Disregard the Oil change interval, but pay attention to the oil type.

From the manual for my 2012 WRX: "5W-30 synthetic oil is the required oil foroptimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable."

Sounds to me like they need to put synthetic in there.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Disregard the Oil change interval, but pay attention to the oil type.
    I think the specifications section doesn't state the interval but in the maintenance section it does. Where is the best place to find Technical Service Bulletins?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    From the manual for my 2012 WRX: "5W-30 synthetic oil is the required oil foroptimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable."

Sounds to me like they need to put synthetic in there.
    Conventional oil can be used, the downside with conventional oil is the amount of heat produced by out motors and forced induction breaks them down much faster than synthetic oil. That is the reason the dont want you to use conventional oil for a long period of time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brew04 View Post
    I think the specifications section doesn't state the interval but in the maintenance section it does. Where is the best place to find Technical Service Bulletins?
    Contact your subaru service department. The bulletin was published in 2007 and according to SOA over rules even current published information in the 2012 owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Contact your subaru service department. The bulletin was published in 2007 and according to SOA over rules even current published information in the 2012 owners manual.
    That's kinda messed up, isn't it? Put out a TSB that nobody knows how to find, and then hold them to it and refuse to work on a motor from an owner that can't find them or didn't see them anyway?

My friggin manual says 7500, and I plan on 5,000 intervals. My car is 4 days old and they can't gimme the correct information?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    It directly answers your main question.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    That's kinda messed up, isn't it? Put out a TSB that nobody knows how to find, and then hold them to it and refuse to work on a motor from an owner that can't find them or didn't see them anyway?

My friggin manual says 7500, and I plan on 5,000 intervals. My car is 4 days old and they can't gimme the correct information?
    My engine blew at 6k miles because it ran out of oil. The salesman who delivered my car to my house said bring it in at 7,500 miles, stupidly I listened and ended up with a blown motor at 6k miles. Luckily my dealership repaired it under warrantee, but still every time I go for an oil change they put a sticker to come back 7,500 miles later.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast