got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by T0rque 2011 wrx sedan base model. Timing belt was replaced 0 some odd dollars later out of ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    2011 wrx sedan base model. Timing belt was replaced $700 some odd dollars later out of MY pocket.
    why did it cost you out of pocket? shouldnt that be a warranty thing?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Ok just to throw out my number. My last oil change was ~7500 miles. My previous oil changes were less 3750 miles. I've done multiple UOA's and it seems like my car handles the longer interval just fine. This does not mean everyone should do it.
    Like I stated above, it isnt the oil that isnt lasting. The strainer is getting clogged by dirty oil, the longer the oil is in an engine the more particles it carries with it. clogging the strainer.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

KHP
    2011 wrx sedan base model. Timing belt was replaced $700 some odd dollars later out of MY pocket.
    Damn... I hurt for you on that one. Do you have any other Subaru dealerships around your area for second opinion? I feel like that particular dealership's just blowing smoke up your (you know what).
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

KHP
    Like I stated above, it isnt the oil that isnt lasting. The strainer is getting clogged by dirty oil, the longer the oil is in an engine the more particles it carries with it. clogging the strainer.
    Yeah I took that into consideration as well... Oil analysis shows that my insolubles are pretty low. Maybe I'll pull that banjo bolt and check out my strainer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    why did it cost you out of pocket? shouldnt that be a warranty thing?
    1. I could not provide receipts for oil changes other than 3 oil changes every 7500 miles (yes they used this against me) I had at this point owned the car for 42 days.. of course receipts cannot be provided.

2. They claimed the vehicle had been in an accident and the timing belt had been removed prior (they would not after this point let me view any proof. all panels on my car are oem)

3. They then claimed that according to the service manual the AC stretch belt had been placed on backwards and that it comes from the factory opposite the way it was currently installed (this they did prove to me.. HOWEVER I did prove to them that 6 other members on this forum with 2011 models had the same belt on the same "incorrect way")

AFTER ALL THIS the dealer refused warranty, I spoke to 3 different SoA reps all of which denied warranty. The only thing they did provide me was that after the dealership replaced the timing belt and stretch belt that they would in fact continue warranty if anything else happens to the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn... I hurt for you on that one. Do you have any other Subaru dealerships around your area for second opinion? I feel like that particular dealership's just blowing smoke up your (you know what).
    If they are blowing smoke up my ass then so is SoA because I refused to listen to the dealer as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I took that into consideration as well... Oil analysis shows that my insolubles are pretty low. Maybe I'll pull that banjo bolt and check out my strainer.
    There you go, you could always clean or replace the strainer in all honesty if it plays out for you to keep in oil longer than 3,750 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    wow seems the dealer was really being a pain for that
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    T0rque's treatment was disgraceful.

SOA needs to directly, emphatically, and decisively address the oil change interval for all "strainer" models once and for all. It's absurd to have two different policies out there and have owners not know what's expected of them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    T0rque's treatment was disgraceful.

SOA needs to directly, emphatically, and decisively address the oil change interval for all "strainer" models once and for all. It's absurd to have two different policies out there and have owners not know what's expected of them.
    ESPECIALLY when they continue to print that in the manual, that is what put me over the edge the most. The only reason they came up with to my face which I turned around on them again was that they make that manual for all models and only change the cover..

I Support ClubWRX
    That is no way for a serious company to present themselves to their clients and the public. It's just not on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    1. I could not provide receipts for oil changes other than 3 oil changes every 7500 miles (yes they used this against me) I had at this point owned the car for 42 days.. of course receipts cannot be provided.

2. They claimed the vehicle had been in an accident and the timing belt had been removed prior (they would not after this point let me view any proof. all panels on my car are oem)

3. They then claimed that according to the service manual the AC stretch belt had been placed on backwards and that it comes from the factory opposite the way it was currently installed (this they did prove to me.. HOWEVER I did prove to them that 6 other members on this forum with 2011 models had the same belt on the same "incorrect way")

AFTER ALL THIS the dealer refused warranty, I spoke to 3 different SoA reps all of which denied warranty. The only thing they did provide me was that after the dealership replaced the timing belt and stretch belt that they would in fact continue warranty if anything else happens to the car.
    Gee... #1 is really bothering me. I know that your issue had been resolved, but what the hell does oil change interval have anything to do with a defective timing belt for them to use that against you?
    Last edited by KHP; 04-24-2012 at 10:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Gee... #1 is really bothering me. I know that your issue has been resolved, but what the hell does oil change interval have anything to do with a defective timing belt for them to use that against you?
    It has nothing to do with it. That is exactly my point, they build this car for our demographic, they know exactly what they are getting themselves into and they have found multiple ways to get themselves out of what they got into. I hate to say this but they are smart.. They know that these cars are going to be modified, heavily driven and then when it comes down to it us as (americans) love to point blame. For example.. Someone buys a MBC off ebay turns up the boost and blows the motor, is that something subaru should have to pay for? Absolutely not.. However you know damn well that person who bought the MBC is going to try and make them. The problem with that is it hurts the person who knows how to properly care for and modify a car.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah thats why i do my homework before making modifications
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

...maybe I'm wrong, but if 3750 is recommended because the strainer is getting clogged, wouldn't changing the oil actually have no impact on the strainer? I mean, changing the oil isn't getting rid of any of the crap in the strainer.

And if the strainer is the issue, have they changed the strainer design yet for the newer models? (Which years are prone to this issue?)

And @T0rque: you already put over 22,500 miles and did 3 oil changes in the first 42 days of ownership!?!?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast