got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on got my first oil change castrol oil synthetic @ 2707 miles within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i change my oil every 3k miles with 5w30 full synthetic regardless of what anyone says...

I Support ClubWRX
    i change my oil every 3k miles with 5w30 full synthetic regardless of what anyone says
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Contact your subaru service department. The bulletin was published in 2007 and according to SOA over rules even current published information in the 2012 owners manual.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/93zxdett/TSB.png

Not completely true. Logged on to Alldata for TSB's after reading this and found this. BTW, no current TSB's released for 2012 WRXs or STi's to the aftermarket as of yet. I'll call Subaru tomorrow as I need to order something for a customers car anyways. Appears though that prior to 2011, it was required every 3 months or 3750 miles. Now it has reverted back to 7500 miles. With that said, as someone in the industry, I'll do it at 3k-3500 miles and ONLY synthetic.
    2012 Subaru WRX WR Blue Pearl - Stock (for now)
    1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - 547whp and 538ft Torque - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Frankly a modern automaker requiring oil change intervals more frequently than, say, 5000 miles is outright shameful. That Subaru would think of doing that even 5 years ago, instead of fixing the hardware issues that caused the problems, was very, very low of them.

On the other hand, if an oil requires 3000 mile intervals, it doesn't belong in my motor.

There is no logical reason for someone in the industry or not to be doing 3k intervals (if you are in doubt, check data via analyses and see) if the oil is correct and the car isn't damaged.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Frankly a modern automaker requiring oil change intervals more frequently than, say, 5000 miles is outright shameful.
    I agree with this statement given how the industry has come along with today's technology and Subaru's racing heritage.

Changing oil every 3000 miles was the norm back in the day. That was preached by every dealers and local shops to get you spending. Great marketing tool!!!Most of us grow up that way.

So I take it no one here is using standard factory oil and changing every 3700 miles. Everyone here is using synthetic and changing every 4500 to 5000 miles. I guess I will be sticking to that. I guess if you do a lot of WOT, oil may burn easily therefore you may have to add/check level every 1000 miles to make sure your car is not running on empty thus ruining your engine. Got it!
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since your car is new the oil use has not yet stabilized. This means you should be extra careful to keep the car topped up with oil; check very frequently (all fluids frankly, it's good practice).

Used oil analyses would definitively answer your question but they take time to show trends and you'd not be meeting the warranty requirements anyway. Since the car is new and under warranty I'd follow the manufacturer's specs and intervals to the letter, documenting every change by keeping dated receipts.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    If push came to shove, an owner's manual published in 2012 will definitely take precedent over a TSB which was published in 2007. Simply put, Subaru would not have a case to deny a warranty claim, which called into question the owner's manual information if it was followed. Don't get me wrong, I stick to a 3K mile oil change interval on all my cars. Do I spend extra money on Synthetic oil? Only when the manufacturer calls for it.

Mike, you gots to be checking that oil every once in a while until you fully understand your engine's oil usage patterns. Good to see your dealer was able to cover you.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

I Support ClubWRX
    changing oil sooner is cheap insurance, cant harm anything changing it too much. also it aint expensive or hard to do
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    changing oil sooner is cheap insurance, cant harm anything changing it too much. also it aint expensive or hard to do
    Agreed.

To EA126405, a TSB technically over rides an owners manual. With that said, there is no TSB pertaining to the 2011-2012 model years according to my systems (both mitchel1 and alldata). With that said, you are correct, if you followed an owners manual recommendations, SoA would likely still cover it as long as it is within the warranty period.
    2012 Subaru WRX WR Blue Pearl - Stock (for now)
    1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - 547whp and 538ft Torque - Sold

Nothin beats popping the hood and checking at regular intervals. Certainly not a magical number of miles.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah its always good to keep an eye on it through out the miles
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    This ^^^ . You can get a case of Mobil1 for 37$ at your local Costco. I went and had my 1st oil changed this past Saturday and took in my Mobil1. The dealership gave me 6 qt's of Subaru synthetic to take home since I brought my own oil in. Ended up selling the subie oil to a guy on CL for 25$. Oil is the blood for your engine, not an area I'm willing to skimp on. Gratz on your new car!

I Support ClubWRX
    Why stop at 3K? Why not change it every 1000 miles then? Or more frequently?

This and every area is an area one is willing to "skimp" on. The question is when. What about 3K makes it attractive? If cost isn't an issue and frequent changes can't hurt, why not carry the argument to its logical conclusion? 2K? 1K?

I Support ClubWRX

This and every area is an area one is willing to "skimp" on. The question is when. What about 3K makes it attractive? If cost isn't an issue and frequent changes can't hurt, why not carry the argument to its logical conclusion? 2K? 1K?
    I was referring to the OP saying to use regular oil rather than a synthetic. As for Synthetics go..Mobil1 is a class 4 oil, and is arguably the best oil on the market. As per oil change intervals, well that depends on many outside influences such as climate and driving habits, just to name a few. I would never ever let oil get to 7500 miles between oil changes, but that's just me. I agree w/ you on the 5k mile change however (w/ a synthetic). No need to change oil if it's a true synthetic every 3500 miles unless you're just into taking those kind of measures up a notch. If you research some synthetics you'll discover some aren't really true synthetics at all. The govt. changed how an oil co. can classify it so they can put "synthetic" on the label. Synthetic oils aren't apple to apples at all. Now that I think about it, a case only costs 37$....oil changes every 1k miles here I come!! Rofl Jk'ing

I Support ClubWRX

I change at 3k cuz thats what i was taught to do, it may be old school but thats what i continue to do. if your saying why not 2k or 1k then why 3700 vs 3000. shouldnt make much of a difference there either.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    I change at 3k cuz thats what i was taught to do, it may be old school but thats what i continue to do. if your saying why not 2k or 1k then why 3700 vs 3000. shouldnt make much of a difference there either.
    That is my point yes. There is no reason to change at 3K and if "cheap insurance" is the reason then there's no reason to not change earlier. The extreme would be daily I suppose.

On the other hand using oil analyses provides a rational approach to oil changes, because there are data available to which one can refer. In my particular case with my use pattern and my chosen oil in my specific motor, for example, 7.5K intervals are no problem. Granted, I used to change at 5K -- but not for insurance, since there is no benefit in changing oil that works fine and replacing it with other oil that works fine; I did it so that I can remember the intervals easier (5, 10, 15 and so on).

Different strokes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.