Which size wheels and springs to get?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on Which size wheels and springs to get? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I recently left my ep3 to buy my brand new wrx 2012 hatch in white! I'm suppose to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8

    Which size wheels and springs to get?

    Hey guys I recently left my ep3 to buy my brand new wrx 2012 hatch in white! I'm suppose to get my car by next friday (been waiting for 5 weeks now). Anyways I wanted to get some new wheels and lowering springs but I'm still a noob so I was hoping you guys can help me out. I was thinking about getting a Rota DPT in gold. Now my question is what size should I get so that I dont have to modify anything? Would I be able to use my stock tires on them? I also wanted to lower my car about an inch or so. What springs would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,644
    I Support ClubWRX
    for wheel size, i'd go with 17's. 8.5" being the widest width [not sure if OEM tires would work with that width though]. offset should be in the mid-high 40's. bolt pattern must be 5x100.

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  4. #3
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    Buy the lightest wheels possible that suit your needs. Figure out what size tire you plan to run, buy an appropriate width wheel to run those tires.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  5. #4
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,496
    I Support ClubWRX
    20's dawg!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    for wheel size, i'd go with 17's. 8.5" being the widest width [not sure if OEM tires would work with that width though]. offset should be in the mid-high 40's. bolt pattern must be 5x100.
    The only size I was able to find was 17's with 9" width 44 offset or 18's with 8.5" width 44 offset. Would either of this work?

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    20's dawg!
    fosho! with some dope spinners!

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Also any input on what springs to get? I heard swift springs are good?

  9. #8
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by djsato View Post
    The only size I was able to find was 17's with 9" width 44 offset or 18's with 8.5" width 44 offset. Would either of this work?
    That 9" is too wide to fit with that offset. It's also too wide for your stock tires. Lastly, it's just too wide period because you won't be able to use that much rubber (assuming you had the correct width tires) plus they'll be heavy. The 18 with a 44 offset would fit ok, but your stock wheels are 17 so the tires aren't goinig to fit.

    The RCE or Swift springs are both good, but you said you don't want to change any other parts, and the lower springs require a strut that's designed for them. You can use stock struts, but the suspension isn't going to work correctly, and you're going to very quickly wear out those stock struts and need replacements anyway.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  10. #9
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,496
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why do you want/need to go so wide? That wide of wheels usually isn't very conducive to daily driving.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    That 9" is too wide to fit with that offset. It's also too wide for your stock tires. Lastly, it's just too wide period because you won't be able to use that much rubber (assuming you had the correct width tires) plus they'll be heavy. The 18 with a 44 offset would fit ok, but your stock wheels are 17 so the tires aren't goinig to fit.

    The RCE or Swift springs are both good, but you said you don't want to change any other parts, and the lower springs require a strut that's designed for them. You can use stock struts, but the suspension isn't going to work correctly, and you're going to very quickly wear out those stock struts and need replacements anyway.
    Thank you for the input, what struts would you recommend?

  12. #11
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,496
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djsato View Post
    Thank you for the input, what struts would you recommend?
    Konis are the popular choice.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    whiteman air force base
    Posts
    236
    i just put the tanabe springs on my 2012 and i love them they handle great and makes the drive alot funner...now i used my stock struts...yes they could blow...im saving up for the konis right now...i have talked to acouple people that have ordered 17x9 rotas in the 44 offset and it will work with the stock tires i almost did this myself but went with 18s

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by killpsibot View Post
    i just put the tanabe springs on my 2012 and i love them they handle great and makes the drive alot funner...now i used my stock struts...yes they could blow...im saving up for the konis right now...i have talked to acouple people that have ordered 17x9 rotas in the 44 offset and it will work with the stock tires i almost did this myself but went with 18s
    Cool thanks, I think I'm going to get the 17x9 dpt's in gold. Hopefully my stock tires will fit on them.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Why do you want/need to go so wide? That wide of wheels usually isn't very conducive to daily driving.
    I rather get 8.5 in width but I only could find the dpt's in 17x9 or 18x8.5 and I wanted to use my stock tires which is 17..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •