Hood Scoop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i was looking at my 12' hatch hood scoop n noticed all the bugs that go in and die ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34

    Hood Scoop

    So i was looking at my 12' hatch hood scoop n noticed all the bugs that go in and die on whatever the silver thing is under the hood that u see when u look in the scoop. My question is what do you do/use to clean that silver thing off from all the dead bugs that get sucked in? Would it be good to try n put a "grill" in the scoop?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    The silver thing? That's your intercooler man...just simple green and hose it down.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  4. #3
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    972
    1. that 'metal thing' i believe you are describing is the Top Mount Inter Cooler (TMIC). I believe u can run water over it, however i STRONGLY suggest you do not get water anywhere in the engine bay, ive never done this so you'll have to wait on more experienced knowledge or try for the best.

    2. grills decrease air flow by 30%

  5. #4
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    1. that 'metal thing' i believe you are describing is the Top Mount Inter Cooler (TMIC). I believe u can run water over it, however i STRONGLY suggest you do not get water anywhere in the engine bay, ive never done this so you'll have to wait on more experienced knowledge or try for the best.

    2. grills decrease air flow by 30%
    1. You can spray a hose in the engine bay without doing any damage as long as everything is connected properly. Simple green and a hose will make your engine bay sparkle quite nicely. Just do it when the car isn't hot.

    2. I'd love to see your research data on this 30%. That's a HUGE decrease in air flow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  6. #5
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,791
    I Support ClubWRX
    Drews more than anyone knows about washing the engine bay with water.He just dips the whole thing.It's faster that way.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    Yea silver thing, lol... Sorry I'm not a car whiz so I just have to go by looks to explain things lol... Ok so simple green and a hose... Awesome! How often do you guys clean your silver thing? Lol is this something I should do weekly or just take a look and when u see fit to clean it, do so?

  8. #7
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    Every other car wash.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  9. #8
    Registered User lytlec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Drews more than anyone knows about washing the engine bay with water.He just dips the whole thing.It's faster that way.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

    HAHAHAHA! Might be the best yet!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

  10. #9
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    1. You can spray a hose in the engine bay without doing any damage as long as everything is connected properly. Simple green and a hose will make your engine bay sparkle quite nicely. Just do it when the car isn't hot.

    2. I'd love to see your research data on this 30%. That's a HUGE decrease in air flow.
    I wasnt aware of that, im relatively new to cars and I wouldnt imagine doing anything like that, seems like a terrible idea to me, but i guess im completely wrong.

    and also, I've read that on ATLEAST 2-3 posts on this forum

  11. #10
    Registered User Asharus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    455
    that silver thing, lol... bring it back to the dealer, tell them they installed an extra radiator by accident. while its there, have them check the headlight fluid too
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

  12. #11
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Drews more than anyone knows about washing the engine bay with water.He just dips the whole thing.It's faster that way.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    Tony, you're an ass...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I wasnt aware of that, im relatively new to cars and I wouldnt imagine doing anything like that, seems like a terrible idea to me, but i guess im completely wrong.

    and also, I've read that on ATLEAST 2-3 posts on this forum
    I'd avoid pressure washing anything or continually watering down any one portion of the engine bay. It's just common sense, coat the engine bay with simple green, let sit for 5-10 minutes, spray it off. You already have a giant hole in your hood, I'd venture to say that the Subaru engineers took small amounts of water getting into the engine bay into account.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  13. #12
    Registered User Mike193's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    972
    Understood, im just going to avoid it for now haha

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    that silver thing, lol... bring it back to the dealer, tell them they installed an extra radiator by accident. while its there, have them check the headlight fluid too
    Not funny a**hole... Sorry I'm not a car enthusiast that knows everything about cars so I have to name it like I see it to get the point across so ppl kno what I'm talking about

  15. #14
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,791
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico516 View Post
    Not funny a**hole... Sorry I'm not a car enthusiast that knows everything about cars so I have to name it like I see it to get the point across so ppl kno what I'm talking about
    Please refrain from profanity.

    Its in the Rules
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  16. #15
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    that silver thing, lol... bring it back to the dealer, tell them they installed an extra radiator by accident. while its there, have them check the headlight fluid too
    We all like to poke around and have fun, but sometimes sarcasm isn't read that well over the interwebz. Please tone this down a bit, especially when it won't be taken as a joke


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •