Hood Scoop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i was looking at my 12' hatch hood scoop n noticed all the bugs that go in and die ...

Hood Scoop

So i was looking at my 12' hatch hood scoop n noticed all the bugs that go in and die on whatever the silver thing is under the hood that u see when u look in the scoop. My question is what do you do/use to clean that silver thing off from all the dead bugs that get sucked in? Would it be good to try n put a "grill" in the scoop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The silver thing? That's your intercooler man...just simple green and hose it down.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

1. that 'metal thing' i believe you are describing is the Top Mount Inter Cooler (TMIC). I believe u can run water over it, however i STRONGLY suggest you do not get water anywhere in the engine bay, ive never done this so you'll have to wait on more experienced knowledge or try for the best.

2. grills decrease air flow by 30%

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    1. that 'metal thing' i believe you are describing is the Top Mount Inter Cooler (TMIC). I believe u can run water over it, however i STRONGLY suggest you do not get water anywhere in the engine bay, ive never done this so you'll have to wait on more experienced knowledge or try for the best.

2. grills decrease air flow by 30%
    1. You can spray a hose in the engine bay without doing any damage as long as everything is connected properly. Simple green and a hose will make your engine bay sparkle quite nicely. Just do it when the car isn't hot.

2. I'd love to see your research data on this 30%. That's a HUGE decrease in air flow.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Drews more than anyone knows about washing the engine bay with water.He just dips the whole thing.It's faster that way.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yea silver thing, lol... Sorry I'm not a car whiz so I just have to go by looks to explain things lol... Ok so simple green and a hose... Awesome! How often do you guys clean your silver thing? Lol is this something I should do weekly or just take a look and when u see fit to clean it, do so?

I Support ClubWRX
    Every other car wash.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Drews more than anyone knows about washing the engine bay with water.He just dips the whole thing.It's faster that way.

HAHAHAHA! Might be the best yet!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    1. You can spray a hose in the engine bay without doing any damage as long as everything is connected properly. Simple green and a hose will make your engine bay sparkle quite nicely. Just do it when the car isn't hot.

2. I'd love to see your research data on this 30%. That's a HUGE decrease in air flow.
    I wasnt aware of that, im relatively new to cars and I wouldnt imagine doing anything like that, seems like a terrible idea to me, but i guess im completely wrong.

and also, I've read that on ATLEAST 2-3 posts on this forum

that silver thing, lol... bring it back to the dealer, tell them they installed an extra radiator by accident. while its there, have them check the headlight fluid too
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

Tony, you're an ass...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I wasnt aware of that, im relatively new to cars and I wouldnt imagine doing anything like that, seems like a terrible idea to me, but i guess im completely wrong.

and also, I've read that on ATLEAST 2-3 posts on this forum
    I'd avoid pressure washing anything or continually watering down any one portion of the engine bay. It's just common sense, coat the engine bay with simple green, let sit for 5-10 minutes, spray it off. You already have a giant hole in your hood, I'd venture to say that the Subaru engineers took small amounts of water getting into the engine bay into account.

Understood, im just going to avoid it for now haha

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    that silver thing, lol... bring it back to the dealer, tell them they installed an extra radiator by accident. while its there, have them check the headlight fluid too
    Not funny a**hole... Sorry I'm not a car enthusiast that knows everything about cars so I have to name it like I see it to get the point across so ppl kno what I'm talking about

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico516 View Post
    Not funny a**hole... Sorry I'm not a car enthusiast that knows everything about cars so I have to name it like I see it to get the point across so ppl kno what I'm talking about
    Please refrain from profanity.

Its in the Rules
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    We all like to poke around and have fun, but sometimes sarcasm isn't read that well over the interwebz. Please tone this down a bit, especially when it won't be taken as a joke

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast