planning a new 2012 WRX, looking for opinions on options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on planning a new 2012 WRX, looking for opinions on options within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, This will be my first Subaru and really my first ever new car. I've gone through the options ...

planning a new 2012 WRX, looking for opinions on options

Hi All,

This will be my first Subaru and really my first ever new car. I've gone through the options list on Subaru's website dozens of times, and although I'd like many of them I have narrowed down them as much as I can so that I don't end up spending too much. I'm looking for opinions on the options that I've narrowed the list down to.

(I'm planning on getting the 4-door over the 5-door)

-Navigation System. Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer their opinions on if this expensive upgrade is worth while?
    -Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim
    -Moonroof Air Deflector
    -SPT Perf Exhaust System
    -Trunk lid spoiler
    -Roof carrier bars.

Probably my biggest question is about the roof carrier bars. Are the stock roof carrier bars good? Will they be able to mount Thule bike/cargo racks/wind deflector? Or would I be better off not getting the stock roof racks and going aftermarket Thule/Yakima all the way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not a fan of any OE navigation system. If it's not included with a package, I would go aftermarket, which will have better navigation (e.g., Kenwood uses the Garmin interface), as well as more EQ-adjustability, and more power output to the speakers.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

9 times out of 10, a stock navigation system is inadequate in terms of providing sound quality. I'm sure the Nav works well as in routing and so on, but the audio quality will be garbage compared to what you can find aftermarket wise. You'll be better opting for the standard stereo and upgrading to something aftermarket. That alone will enhance your SQ. And you'll be able to do that for MUCH cheaper than the stock nav system.

The stock roof rack should be fine. Just get attachments that will fit (both Thule and Yakima make ones that will be compatible).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    When options are being considered on a limited budget (which is always my case), it is a matter of priorities for me. Looks vs. performance is question number one and then bang for the $$ is my next thought. For me, options related to looks are very subjective, just go with what you like. For instance, the carbon fiber trunk trim is something I would not consider, it just doesn't trip my trigger. Now the spoiler, hell yes! I like them.

Regarding performance, I've owned plenty of cars and for me one of the most inexpensive and meaning full performance options for a M/T is a short-shifter. Getting the rubber to the road smoothly and quickly, means much to me, the fun factor of a shorter throw is significant as well. A short shifter is a very good starting point, for those reasons and usually won't be a budget breaker. Exhaust is a good option also as it adds, performance, looks and fun factor (sound).

Good luck with your purchase!

Short shifter is a good idea. A lot of people get that as an option. Get the bushings while you're at it if they aren't included.

Keep in mind, exhaust won't offer anything in the way of performance. It's simply a noise maker and aesthetics. FWIW, I'd be more tempted to wait and get something aftermarket or even used as it will cost half of what a brand new SPT would cost from the dealer/factory.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Thanks a lot for your input guys, I really appreciate it. It sounds like the consensus is an aftermarket nav system (to (in my opinion) improve the looks of the interior, as well as the overall audio system). Are there any systems that you would recommend? I'm not much of an auto-tinkerer, so would it be relatively straight forward for me to order the aftermarket nav system and go somewhere to get it professionally installed?

Yea I'm aware the exhaust won't add performance (I likely won't be modding the car for performance reasons at all, I'm sure the stock performance will be plenty for me) but I like the way it sounds when compared to the stock exhaust (from youtube videos at least).

Is there a big difference in feel between the stock shifter and the short throw? Or is it relatively minor?

Someone I talked with today recommended Yakima Whispbar roof racks. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks again for your input!

If you're financing the car, why pay interest over 5 or 6 years on accessories when all of the things you mentioned you can buy from the parts department at a later date? I would save the money, buy the car as basic as you can, then pay cash for the accessories as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Major25 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your input guys, I really appreciate it. It sounds like the consensus is an aftermarket nav system (to (in my opinion) improve the looks of the interior, as well as the overall audio system). Are there any systems that you would recommend? I'm not much of an auto-tinkerer, so would it be relatively straight forward for me to order the aftermarket nav system and go somewhere to get it professionally installed?
    Alpine and Pioneer both make good products that are relatively inexpensive. Find a local stereo shop in your area so you can see them first hand and decide which has the features and the look that you're after

Quote Originally Posted by Major25 View Post
    Is there a big difference in feel between the stock shifter and the short throw? Or is it relatively minor?
    Big difference if you replace the bushings along with the shifter, night and day
    Last edited by jd92677; 04-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Agreed with Pioneer, Alpine, and I'll throw Kenwood in there for good Nav/Audio systems. I'm a fan of Pioneer's interfaces and Nav usability, mostly cause I'm most familiar with it as well. But yes, a local shop is the way to go. Usually the smaller ma and pa shops will have better install experience and a little better quality products, however you can sometimes find excellent deals at places like PC Richards and Best Buy. Just gotta get a handle on the sales guy and ask to talk to installers to see if you're comfortable with them working on your car. Hell, I'm not sure on the 3rd Gens, but I know in the GDBs, stereo installs were CAKE (hell, I installed my Nav with nothing but a Swiss Army knife and electrical tape in 15 minutes flat). Perhaps you can do it yourself on the cheap?

Couldn't agree more with the sound you get from just chucking a CBE on...that was actually one of the reasons I first wanted a Subaru when I bought my first one in 2006

Bushings and the shifter will clean up any loose slop in the shifter assembly itself, as well as make the shift throws a little shorter, which is generally a sportier feel, and contributes to a better driving experience. Highly recommended.

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome, my wrx was my first subaru/first new car as well. Ive heard there are better navigation systems than the stock one. The trunk trim seems like a waste but thats just my opinion. I dont like the air deflectors, again just my opinion. The spt exhaust does sound good, but there are better ones out there for cheaper. Trunk spoiler, go for it. And i have no opinion on the roof bars, i have never had or used them.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

If you aren't doing any other mods you could save money on the SPT exhaust and get an aftermarket axle back (specifically nameless performance). That's what I did anyway.

looks like you're looking at premium or limited edition plus extra!! I got my first one too last week. 4-dr ltd wrx. I think short throw makes a diff and I am getting bushin too and spoiler wing(they don't put STI wing on WRX). Shifting would feel lot smooth if you have drove M/T muscles.

I Support ClubWRX
    i agree with the sts. i got that and a bushing and i quite like it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    There's a reason Garmin is the "top dog" in the navigation business. If navigation is your highest priority, Kenwood is the only brand that uses them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.