Finally drove my own first stick shift |,,| - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Finally drove my own first stick shift |,,| within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by T0rque its because your drivers license shows a ticket for unsafe speed regardless if it was motorcycle ...

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    its because your drivers license shows a ticket for unsafe speed regardless if it was motorcycle or car.
    most likely this. Did you try Geico? They have consistently been the cheapest for me over the last 10 years I've been driving other than a year when I had progressive and a year with USAA.

Also a generally FYI, not all states have discounts based on age. I know for a fact at least Washington does not.

I will say though, I had a accident on my record (single car) and my wife had an accident (single car) and 2 speeding tickets <20 over and they all went past the 36 month point this year and our insurance dropped from 210 a month to 120. Also moved to NY from WA, dk if that had any effect. 2011 wrx and 04 civic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Ditto on the Geico. I pay 312.50 every 6 months with 250 deductibles for my 12 STi. But mine is a hatch and that made quite a difference with Geico. Just keep shopping around, maybe you can find something cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    You're in CA and so am I. I have Wawanesa (sounds like a weird name but supposedly they're Canada based?) and the rates are the best I could find without going to cut-rate. I seriously loathe insurance companies and I feel like most of their practices should be downright illegal (if you have too many claims we'll cut your insurance?! WTF am I paying you for then? They only want to keep you as a customer as long as they're coming out on top. Period. /rant)

Anywhoo... When I first got coverage with them I maxed out coverage on every single category and they came out wayyy cheaper than AAA. Give them a shot. I currently have no points, neither does my wife. We will have the 2012 WRX and a 2004 Lexus RX330 on the plan. We're both over 30 and I think both cars are estimated to be getting about 29,000 miles a year on them (I need to change that). But our annual cost is about $1450.

The biggest tip anybody can give you is to not drive like an idiot. Be responsible, else I believe all of our rates go up due to incidents per type of vehicle.
    You're right about the claims. I do not have any DMV records and 0 points in driving history. But because of those claims I made any insurance company will quote me high.

Yes, a lot of things matter in calculating car insurance for these cars. If you bundle up your home and car insurance you might save some. Especially AARP’s car and home insurance quotes are reasonable and quite competitive, so it might be a valid option.

I wish I had some idea how many points are on my license. I have a CT license, speeding ticket from VT, Failure to stop NJ, speeding NJ, "delay of traffic" NJ, but I have no idea what carries back to CT.

I Support ClubWRX
    So after reading several posts around here lately on insurance costs, I decided to shop around some. Gotta admit Geico came through big time. I ended up getting solid insurance for about 800$ a year. Geico gives a great discount if your a veteran, which really helped out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by carnevino View Post
    So after reading several posts around here lately on insurance costs, I decided to shop around some. Gotta admit Geico came through big time. I ended up getting solid insurance for about 800$ a year. Geico gives a great discount if your a veteran, which really helped out a lot.
    If you're a Veteran then why not go through USAA? That's who I am through and pay a lot less then what other companies quoted me.
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

P.S. Grats on the Car. Looks great man
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    If you're a Veteran then why not go through USAA? That's who I am through and pay a lot less then what other companies quoted me.
    I think it depends case by case.. I switched to them after I was in for about 2 years because it was cheaper and my premium went up $100 every 6 months for 2 cycles before I cancelled. When I asked why it went up they said because of the economy and gas prices. Yeah go figure that one out.. gas prices?

I've been in for 7 years now and it's still significantly more than geico and progressive for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    In 1996, GEICO became a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, headed by Warren Buffett, one of the country's most successful investors. For the past several years, Fortune magazine has named Berkshire's property-casualty insurance operation the most admired in the country. Buffet then made Geico offer dramatic cuts to veterans for their insurance needs. They actually beat USAA by a pretty good margin for my case.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    I'm currently in the service and USAA is wayyyy more expensive for me than GEICO...I'm talking around 300 bucks more every six months. USAA is cheaper if you are young and single...but they can't compete with GEICO (in MD at least) for married folks with a decent driving record.

Hmm. I was never in the service so that wouldn't work out for me. I am just a member with USAA because of my father. I am paying about $110 a month for great coverage and that's even including renters and personal belongings insurance. Just have 1 speeding ticket on my record otherwise it's clean.

That's good to hear that Geico is doing that. I always appreciate when companies support military service.

Finally I got a not so bad one from AAA from local agent which beats Gieco in my situation and wawanesa seemed bad with customer service, payment and all.
    AAA - 1080/yr, 100/300/100 col: 500 comp: 250. AAA membership for road side which cost another 70 or something a year

I Support ClubWRX
    Max that's a great rate from AAA. I'm still going to remain a member w/ AAA because they do provide other great services for their members. Their free maps are sweet so take advantage of those perks. Thanks to these forums I got off my arse and shopped around for better insurance and cheaper rates(for my case)...that's why I enjoy these forums so much, able to get advice and talk about Subies w/ other members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12