new subaru owner in AV/Socal! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on new subaru owner in AV/Socal! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got my 02 at the end of last year and I love it! I have had some of the ...

I got my 02 at the end of last year and I love it! I have had some of the same problems but she is running like a champion now. When i first got the car i used to smell a strong fuel smell in my car when it was cold outside. I brought it in and there was a recall on our year car to have all the fuel lines replaced. I have the same BOV as you but i never knew that it was not good so i will have to look into that. I had smoke coming out of my hood scoop and I thought it was from a Cv boot flinging grease onto my DP but turns out it was an external headgasket leak. replaced all the seals and gaskets, replaced the spark plugs, and the power steering rack and pinion boots (there was a rip in both of them) did a lot of modest performance upgrades and had it DYNO tuned and she is putting down 247 hp to the wheels. Fun to drive! as for the sputtering could be a lot of things. My advice is you need to go through the whole car with a fine tooth comb, there are a lot of systems and you have no idea how the last owner cared for the car. I went through a period of a couple of months checking the car out and finding all the problems the last owner left. Oh yeah check the timing belt! you dont want that to fail. Welcome! and thank god you got rid of that honda.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats, hell of on up-grade from your old car. i'd watch running those bolt ons without a tune, cracked ringland piston's on my 02.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by deepseastetson View Post
    I got my 02 at the end of last year and I love it! I have had some of the same problems but she is running like a champion now. When i first got the car i used to smell a strong fuel smell in my car when it was cold outside. I brought it in and there was a recall on our year car to have all the fuel lines replaced. I have the same BOV as you but i never knew that it was not good so i will have to look into that. I had smoke coming out of my hood scoop and I thought it was from a Cv boot flinging grease onto my DP but turns out it was an external headgasket leak. replaced all the seals and gaskets, replaced the spark plugs, and the power steering rack and pinion boots (there was a rip in both of them) did a lot of modest performance upgrades and had it DYNO tuned and she is putting down 247 hp to the wheels. Fun to drive! as for the sputtering could be a lot of things. My advice is you need to go through the whole car with a fine tooth comb, there are a lot of systems and you have no idea how the last owner cared for the car. I went through a period of a couple of months checking the car out and finding all the problems the last owner left. Oh yeah check the timing belt! you dont want that to fail. Welcome! and thank god you got rid of that honda.
    oh really? well thats good im glad to hear im not the only one, lol. oh whaat? well i guess the other owner may have gotten that fixed cause i have never smelt gas.. and yea let me know what u find out about the BOV.. i really need to go through it.. im a little intimidated though because im so new to subarus i would feel like i need someone there to go through it with me and tell me what im looking at and what to do to fix it.. wow thats some good power, i cant wait to get mine all perfect and where i want it! and ill definitely check the timing belt.. haha thanks, and yes i agree with the honda.

Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    Congrats, hell of on up-grade from your old car. i'd watch running those bolt ons without a tune, cracked ringland piston's on my 02.
    thanks man, it really is i love the upgrade, thanks i will, as soon as i get the real important stuff under control im definitely going to get it tuned,

Yeah, I didnt know anything about subarus but i feel like i know my engine bay pretty well because i have had to fix quite a bit. clean the fuel system check all the basic stuff like fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs, etc, watch your fluid levels carefully and check them regularly. once you get it all squared away and running well you can start with the modding! it is really fun to upgrade these cars because there are some really cheap ways to upgrade that really make a difference. BUSHINGS!! I upgraded some of my driveline bushings and what a difference it made. I love driving my car, I think i am going to get a better intercooler next and maybe upgrade the clutch and brakes. man these cars are awesome.

oh thats awesome haha, im sure its super fun modding them! i love it already and i havent even gotten to spend money on fun stuff yet lol. as far as i know mine seems to have an 08+ STI intercooler, and i just bought stoptech rotors and pads and put those on cause the brakes it came with were destroyed.. but there real nice!

Grats on the purchase and welcome to the site
    2012 WRX Limited Sedan w/ Nav - WRB
    SPT Exhaust, Cobb AP, SPT Short Throw Shifter, SPT Trunk Trim, RA mud flaps, Cobb Shift Knob, 50/15/15 tint

thanks man urs looks sick! i wish i could afford a new one lol someday!

so i got a stock downpipe and BPV installed them both yesterday, and the car is running very nice and smooth! loving it! now i just need to find out if my other cats are bad so i can smog it! also found out that both my valve cover gaskets are leaking :/
    WRX > Si

Quote Originally Posted by fordnick3 View Post
    so i got a stock downpipe and BPV installed them both yesterday, and the car is running very nice and smooth! loving it! now i just need to find out if my other cats are bad so i can smog it! also found out that both my valve cover gaskets are leaking :/
    Stock downpipe should have two cats in it, and that's it. Only other cat would be in the Uppipe which is connected to the turbo, which if it was removed, leave it that way (10 year old car, you don't want the cat material inside disintegrating and getting into your turbo, which is why it's removed in the 02-05 years usually as a first mod. It's preventative maintenance). There's a reason why after 2005, they stopped putting cats in the uppipe. You should be able to pass smog with two cats.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yea the downpipe has two, oh alright cool! That's awesome will it throw a cat deficiency code without the third one? And how can I tell if it's been removed? Is it easy to spot? And if it is there it would be better to remove it?
    WRX > Si

Hey wow havent been on here in a while! but i figured id just update everyone whose interested in my proggress!

got the car smogged and registered in my name finally haha,

got new tires so the backend of the car doesnt kick out anymore

this wednesday im going to get my valve cover gaskets fixed,

the car threw another code, P0171, which im pretty sure has something to do with the MAF, reeaally hoping that doesnt cost too much to fix :/

and sometime next week ill be putting the invidia downpipe back on and getting it tuned!! WOO! lol

also got a roof spoiler for my bday love the way it looks with my spoiler-less trunk!

WRX > Si

I Support ClubWRX
    Lookin' good bud!

thanks bro!
    WRX > Si

well the roof spoiler is gone.. haha so i decided to go with a trunk spoiler i found on ebay :P its actually super clean looking! i love it! if anyone is interested its an "m3" style spoiler $30 painted and shipped to your door!
    WRX > Si

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12