I'm a total Noob

This is a discussion on I'm a total Noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! Looking for some advice. I have had few new cars in my life and have not driven a ...

I'm a total Noob

Hello all! Looking for some advice.

I have had few new cars in my life and have not driven a stick for 16 years. Something snapped and I bought a new 2012 Wrx (premium hatch). I wanted some guidance in two areas, if you would be so kind...

1. I did not know about the "break in procedure." On the way home from the dealership, I crested 5000 rpms a few times. I shifted at that point but really gave it the juice. How likely is that to have damaged my motor

2. I am doing well with the stick overall...except in going into first! I stall going into first gear from neutral at stop lights. How far down do I need to depress the clutch? It seems that it is disengaged well before it is all the way down. Is this true?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

In the future, please refrain from using profanity in thread titles.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post

1. I did not know about the "break in procedure." On the way home from the dealership, I crested 5000 rpms a few times. I shifted at that point but really gave it the juice. How likely is that to have damaged my motor
    You didn't.

2. I am doing well with the stick overall...except in going into first! I stall going into first gear from neutral at stop lights. How far down do I need to depress the clutch?
    All the way down.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats!

on the title

We're all Jackass n00bs
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

1.break in is under 4k rpms for the first 1000 miles.The engine will be alright.Just don't make it a habit.

2.Everyone stalls.Depress the clutch all the way & let it out very slowly.Practice in a parking lot to gain some confidence.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome!

Don't sweat the 5k, nor the stalling. A wise man once said "if you don't stall once in a while, you're not doing it right." (or something like that) It took me a lot longer to feel comfortable with the clutch than I expected. Have some patience, you'll get it.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

i have always drove stick and this one is alot diff then my scion so its taken me alittle bit of time to get use to it

Don't sweat the 5K thing, modern engines don't need as much break in as they used to. Besides look at lamborghini, they start the thing and instantly run it on a dyno wide open throttle to break it in. Granted i wouldn't beat the hell out of it, but you don't need to drive like grandma either. I'd be interested to talk to the person who ended up with the 2010 civic si i test drove with 7 miles on it, after i redlined every gear for 20 minutes. I bet it'll get 100K+ miles no problem.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If a modern car doesn't exceed 100K miles, that's a major problem.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    If a modern car doesn't exceed 100K miles, that's a major problem.
    Agree fully. 100K should not be a question under any circumstances. If it is, we're buying the wrong cars. It's just not acceptable.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks so much for the help! Really glad i found this site!

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Forum
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

i agree however cars with very high performance engines are a little different. Obviously it isn't hard to get to that mileage but many that do will tend to burn some oil. I've worked on a lot of RSX-s that have had the isht kicked out of them and after 100K they smoke and basically need a rebuild. Keep in mind the specific output of these motors and the rpm they turn. They're detuned race motors in street cars, they're not designed to go 350K. Now obviously i'm coming from the honda world but you guys would be surprised at some of the things that can't make it to 100K without problems (ie: d17 civic engine needing headgaskets at 80K). The point i was getting at is you could still beat the hell out of something brand new and it's not going to just break, it just not last as long because all the new parts could develop a more aggressive wear pattern that could lead to burning oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome to the site. Best way to start is go in a parking lot and put it in gear w out giving it gas and let the clutch out slowly to see where the clutch is at when it moves than determine your gas and your release point