Long time reader, first time posting
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84

This is a discussion on Long time reader, first time posting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, thought I'd give a quick "about me". My name is Eric, I'm 21, and I'm from New Jersey. I've ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19

    Long time reader, first time posting

    Hello, thought I'd give a quick "about me". My name is Eric, I'm 21, and I'm from New Jersey. I've been lurking the forums for over a year now trying to decide which car is best for me. I graduate this summer, and am hoping to get hired at where I am currently interning. Best case scenario, between my 09 Civic EX and the pay I am expecting, I will have enough money by October to put a down payment on a new car, including registration, insurance, etc. and have enough money put aside to pay 6 or so months of insurance and car payments.

    After more than a year of research and wishful thinking, my problem boils down to this: which model wrx do I buy? By October I expect Subaru to have announced the 2013 models, so I am going to say hypothetically they are exactly what I have been hoping for and around the same price range.

    Based on current prices and features, I'm not sure which model I want. I do love my sunroof, but heated seats are not really my thing. For the price difference, I'm not quite sure it's worth it from base to premium. I'm not a fan of leather seats though, so I'm not interested in the limited.

    The STi is an entirely different scenario. I'll have to wait longer to get it, or risk not having a few months for a safeguard. The 6speed transmission and extra horsepower and other goodies may make it worth my while.

    What I'm asking is for your input. I'm definitely getting a wrx, I made this decision over a year ago. It's definitely going to be a hatch because that's my taste, and I either want it in black or wr blue pearl and I want the short throw shifter. I am open to pretty much anything else.

    So what do you guys think? Give me some insight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,525
    I Support ClubWRX
    We can't give you insight on something you've already decided.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  4. #3
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,793
    I Support ClubWRX
    So you have decided on a base/pemium OBP/WRB hatch.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    We can't give you insight on something you've already decided.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    So you have decided on a base/pemium OBP/WRB hatch.
    I haven't decided if I want a base/premium or take a jump and go for the STi. I can definately afford both, one would just take longer to save up for. I want to see what people who have owned WRX/STis for a while think about their cars and if they are happy with the decision they made and why.

  6. #5
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    You'd probably be fine with a base wrx. you can hop it up after some time to anything you want. That is motor, suspension, stereo... as you want/have money/need. I happened to buy a modified, used. Probably not really a smart move, but at least it seems to be well done. This thing has some balls. And it started out as a regular wrx. So the higher HP numbers can be fitted in later, seems to go up to almost 500 crank HP. Even the factory sti can not keep up with that. So I'd say a base wrx is a good starting point. You could look up my tread "my intro", at the early entries, where I'm trying to find out what I got... afterward it kinda goes all over the place.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    You'd probably be fine with a base wrx. you can hop it up after some time to anything you want. That is motor, suspension, stereo... as you want/have money/need. I happened to buy a modified, used. Probably not really a smart move, but at least it seems to be well done. This thing has some balls. And it started out as a regular wrx. So the higher HP numbers can be fitted in later, seems to go up to almost 500 crank HP. Even the factory sti can not keep up with that. So I'd say a base wrx is a good starting point. You could look up my tread "my intro", at the early entries, where I'm trying to find out what I got... afterward it kinda goes all over the place.
    Thank you for your input. I am looking up your thread now.

  8. #7
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,794
    Sounds like you should get a WRX with a sunroof but no heated seats.

    I'd wait for the 2013 to come out...we don't know if it is going to change looks or anything, considering they just updated the base Impreza (never know with Subaru), that way you can base your decision on what you like better.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Can I get a wrx with sunroof and no heated seats? I didn't see it as an option on the base, and the heated seats come standard on the premium.

    And I'm waiting on the full announcement of the 2013s. There are so many rumors going around that I'd feel really dumb buying a 2012 if the 2013s are better cars for about the same price.

  10. #9
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    Right on. The new impreza has decidedly more legroom in back... if that makes it into the wrx, you might really prefer the 2013 model...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    I've heard rumors from a few sources saying that Subaru may be dropping "Impreza" from the 2013+ WRX and STi names, so I'm not sure. Has there been any updates to whether or not that is true, or is it still just a rumor?

  12. #11
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,533
    I Support ClubWRX
    If I could afford either one I would get an STi lol. Why not get the best when you can. They can still be good DDs from what I've heard. Go grab a base STi and see if they can option in a sunroof!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  13. #12
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,525
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're buying new and not going way beyond stage 2, the STI is the better buy. If you're looking at motor builds and all that jazz, the WRX is the better choice. The STI is a better platform for simple bolt-on mods, but once you get to a certain point the line between which is better becomes incredibly blurred.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    If I could afford either one I would get an STi lol. Why not get the best when you can. They can still be good DDs from what I've heard. Go grab a base STi and see if they can option in a sunroof!

    I guess what it comes down to is how much I want to spend. I've seen people do some awesome things with the WRX, and not so great things with the STi. It's a double edged sword. The insurance will be much higher on an STi (I have a clean record... for now), and I'm just not sure if I'm up to the extra money. I want to know that it will be worth it in the end to dish out the extra money for the STi.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you're buying new and not going way beyond stage 2, the STI is the better buy. If you're looking at motor builds and all that jazz, the WRX is the better choice. The STI is a better platform for simple bolt-on mods, but once you get to a certain point the line between which is better becomes incredibly blurred.
    Any mods that I will be making will be for autocrossing. I have yet to do it, but it sounds like something I could easily get into. I drive a Civic right now, so I will not be trying it out any time soon, lol.

  15. #14
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,794
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkerBlitz View Post
    Can I get a wrx with sunroof and no heated seats? I didn't see it as an option on the base, and the heated seats come standard on the premium.

    And I'm waiting on the full announcement of the 2013s. There are so many rumors going around that I'd feel really dumb buying a 2012 if the 2013s are better cars for about the same price.
    You could always just not turn on the heated seats...or pull them out and sell them and put something aftermarket in. You'd probably recover half your cash at least by selling new seats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Right on. The new impreza has decidedly more legroom in back... if that makes it into the wrx, you might really prefer the 2013 model...
    I don't think he's going to be driving from the back seat often

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkerBlitz View Post
    I've heard rumors from a few sources saying that Subaru may be dropping "Impreza" from the 2013+ WRX and STi names, so I'm not sure. Has there been any updates to whether or not that is true, or is it still just a rumor?
    I too have heard this as well...which may point to the differentiation in the body styles. Considering they just flared the body back out for the 2011s, I'd think they'd roll with it for a little longer on that chassis and perhaps only do some subtle styling changes like the 06-07 WRXs/STIs did...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You could always just not turn on the heated seats...or pull them out and sell them and put something aftermarket in. You'd probably recover half your cash at least by selling new seats.


    I too have heard this as well...which may point to the differentiation in the body styles. Considering they just flared the body back out for the 2011s, I'd think they'd roll with it for a little longer on that chassis and perhaps only do some subtle styling changes like the 06-07 WRXs/STIs did...
    I know I could not turn them on, but paying for a feature that I'll likely never use seems kind of... Let's say "dumb" for a lack of a better word. Yes, I could take them out and sell them, but meh. Lol.

    I'm not really sure what to expect for the 2013s, but hopefully they won't change the body style too much. Or get rid of the hatch. I like the way they look just the way they are.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •