Long time reader, first time posting - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Long time reader, first time posting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Another way to look at it is that he (presumably) does not yet have a wife/kids ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Another way to look at it is that he (presumably) does not yet have a wife/kids as a constant, parasitic draw on his disposable income.
    Yikes. I'm working on the parasitic draw.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Your story sounds very similar to mine. If I were you, I would get the wrx (see if you could get the sunroof without the other options you dont want) for a couple reasons. You mentioned about "hopefully getting hired" and "best case scenario" so the money you think you might have might not be there for you. The modding bug is a powerful one and if you stretch to get the STI you may snap when you start to modify the car, bc lets face it, you will modify it. As for the Auto-xing, it sounds like your chances of doing it are on the lower side, so the extra money for the STI for something you probably wont do might not be worth it. Also, I feel like a lot of people are happier with a kartboy short throw shifter and some bushings over the SPT short shifter (anybody?).

Also, black gets dirty VERY easily, so get blue...and then paint the wheels gold haha.

just my $0.02
    I agree with everything but the rims. I'll probably end up going to an auto cross here and there since my friends do it so often, and there are a handful of tracks around here that do it fairly frequently, but it's probably not something that I'll want to do too often for maintenance reasons. I do most of the work on my car myself, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Another way to look at it is that he (presumably) does not yet have a wife/kids as a constant, parasitic draw on his disposable income. Talk to a financial advisor, take care of the base of the pyramid, the retirement...and then blow all the rest of it on enjoying your 20's, I say.

Which car is a subjective thing. The WRX is a sporty daily driver, the STI is a track car that you can drive on the street. Different focii.
    No wife, kids, or plans of getting married anytime soon, and I've already got a retirement fund set up. I like to think of myself as being mature for my age in that sense. I like to cover all of my bases. I wouldn't even be looking at cars right now if I didn't have money set aside for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, all this awesome advice! I wish this was around when I graduated college. I was house/car poor, and did almost everything wrong.

I also recommend the WRX over the STI for financial reasons. The mod bug is quite powerful, as previously stated. I thought I'd never get bit, but my wishlist is getting longer & longer...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    I thought I'd never get bit, but my wishlist is getting longer & longer...
    pshhhh...I'm a masochist...I knew I was getting bit and I was eagerly awaiting the pain, ergo why I bought an STI
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Chalk me up for another vote for the WRX. Not that you've actually come out and said it, but as others have pointed out it seems like the STI would be a bit more of a stretch for you financially. I do applaud your apparent preparedness for being young. Even if the STI doesn't seem like it would be that hard to afford, there are some things to consider:

Statistically speaking, someone in their early 20s is much more likely to have instability. For lots of different reasons, that's the age demographic that changes jobs most and the most frequently. Now combine that with the still struggling economy. Just anecdotally I know lots of people whose companies are laying off/considering layoffs/cutting benefits/etc.

It probably wouldn't hurt, as someone just getting into the workforce post-school, to leave yourself a little cushion when it comes to monthly expenses like a car payment, rather than stretching it more to get the more expensive car. And it's not like the WRX is a civic
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Used STI is the best solution. If you don't listen to me...you're wrong.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you don't listen to me...you're wrong.
    Ahh Jimmy is in one of his moods again...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ahh Jimmy is in one of his moods again...
    Not really. Let's think about it...Sure the WRX can handle a few track days but how long is it going to hold up. Unless you plan on modifying the driveline with PPGs or a 6spd swap you're better off trying to get into a used STI if you have any intention of tracking the vehicle.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Not really. Let's think about it...Sure the WRX can handle a few track days but how long is it going to hold up. Unless you plan on modifying the driveline with PPGs or a 6spd swap you're better off trying to get into a used STI if you have any intention of tracking the vehicle.
    Sarcasm homie...I know exactly what you're saying, and I fully agree that a used STI is better. I was just poking more at the way you said it...you're usually pretty blunt when you're in an awesome Jimmy mood

I Support ClubWRX
    Sarcasm homie...I know exactly what you're saying, and I fully agree that a used STI is better. I was just poking more at the way you said it...you're usually pretty blunt when you're in an awesome Jimmy mood
    Lol you've been around long enough to know our banter...the OP may not be. Btw...youre a douche Mikie. <3 U!

you said homie, therefore you are mexican.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turrbro View Post
    you said homie, therefore you are mexican.
    wat?

Also, you may want to tread lightly on racial stereotypes, even in jest. It's frowned upon around here.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

wat?

Also, you may want to tread lightly on racial stereotypes, even in jest. It's frowned upon around here.
    The homie thing is in reference to some nonsense posts in another thread...but I guess the point is still valid
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Haha. I've been on my fair share of forums. I've only been part of a few car forums (I helped run one for about a year or so. I'm still in charge, but it's dead now with no more than 3 posts a week). I am also still pretty new to the car scene. I go to a lot of car meets and try to be active on as many car forums as possible, so I know when people are joking, and I try not to get butt-hurt.

I've come to this conclusion: when the time comes that I am ready to make a purchase I will shop around. If I can find a used STi hatch with low miles and a decent price, I will probably go with that. Otherwise I'm going to go with a WRX hatch, preferably new, and start modding it towards the end of my warranty. I've already got a few plans for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wat?

Turn that frown upside down bud. This is a happy place.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.