Long time reader, first time posting - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Long time reader, first time posting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DarkerBlitz Any mods that I will be making will be for autocrossing. I have yet to do ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkerBlitz View Post
    Any mods that I will be making will be for autocrossing. I have yet to do it, but it sounds like something I could easily get into. I drive a Civic right now, so I will not be trying it out any time soon, lol.
    If you're looking for a car that you want to auto-x, a WRX/STI would not be on the top of the list. Miata.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No. Just, no.

I want a WRX/STi, and I may go autocrossing from time to time for the hell of it. I have friends that go all the time.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    To be the old guy here ... a common mistake people make right out of school is to overspend on things - especially cars. Reading your description of financials suggests that you can afford the WRX, and are trying to decide if you should stretch for the STI. My answer is a flat out simple "buy the WRX". For what most enthusiasts need the WRX has it in spades, and it will put you in a better position financially. These cars also hold their value very well, so if your financials are stronger in a year or two you could easily trade in and upgrade without a significant hit. Too many younger buyers are "car poor". It will impact other choices like living spaces, travel, beer money, hookers, blow ... etc.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you're looking for a car that you want to auto-x, a WRX/STI would not be on the top of the list. Miata.
    Miata is AutoX king. Hands down.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    To be the old guy here ... a common mistake people make right out of school is to overspend on things - especially cars. Reading your description of financials suggests that you can afford the WRX, and are trying to decide if you should stretch for the STI. My answer is a flat out simple "buy the WRX". For what most enthusiasts need the WRX has it in spades, and it will put you in a better position financially. These cars also hold their value very well, so if your financials are stronger in a year or two you could easily trade in and upgrade without a significant hit. Too many younger buyers are "car poor". It will impact other choices like living spaces, travel, beer money, hookers, blow ... etc.
    Awesome advice. Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Miata is AutoX king. Hands down.
    I strongly dislike the Miata, and I'm not looking to be an AutoX king. It's just something to do from time to time for fun.

zax
    I strongly dislike the Miata, and I'm not looking to be an AutoX king. It's just something to do from time to time for fun.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about the Miata?

Facebook me here

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If he is planning on doing the occasional auto-x, my advice would be spring for the STI. Race miles are very, VERY hard on cars and the WRX 5 spd doesn't have the best reputation. If the OP is going to get an STI I would suggest he get one a year or two used.

zax
    If he is planning on doing the occasional auto-x, my advice would be spring for the STI. Race miles are very, VERY hard on cars and the WRX 5 spd doesn't have the best reputation. If the OP is going to get an STI I would suggest he get one a year or two used.
    I think the STi competes in a class above. So there's that.

Facebook me here

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about the Miata?
    I am an extremely opinionated person, and have strong feelings towards a lot of things. I think it's best I leave it at that to avoid trolls and people getting butt-hurt =P

Yeah, I have my doubts about buying used WRX/STi's though. A lot of people ride them much harder than other cars.

I think the STi competes in a class above. So there's that.
    I believe so as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I have my doubts about buying used WRX/STi's though. A lot of people ride them much harder than other cars.
    If you find one that is a year used, I doubt that it would be driven that hard. My car is pretty heavily modified and I don't drive it that hard. From what I see, newer STIs are generally out of the price range of people who have the mindset to constantly rag on the car. Most of the people in my area don't rag on their cars. It's best to find a one owner, used STI with low miles. The chances of it being beat to death is pretty slim.

I like the way you guys think. This is why I came here for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zax
    I am an extremely opinionated person, and have strong feelings towards a lot of things. I think it's best I leave it at that to avoid trolls and people getting butt-hurt =P
    Fair enough. Although I myself once despised the Miata for reasons likely similar to your own. That is until I took the Tier 1 of Performance Driving Course (PDC). Driving Miatas changed my opinion on the car

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

I haven't decided if I want a base/premium or take a jump and go for the STi. I can definately afford both, one would just take longer to save up for. I want to see what people who have owned WRX/STis for a while think about their cars and if they are happy with the decision they made and why.
    Do you plan to use the car primarily as a daily driver? Get the WRX. Do you plan on some track time; autocross, performance driving events (not drag)? Get the STi.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Your story sounds very similar to mine. If I were you, I would get the wrx (see if you could get the sunroof without the other options you dont want) for a couple reasons. You mentioned about "hopefully getting hired" and "best case scenario" so the money you think you might have might not be there for you. The modding bug is a powerful one and if you stretch to get the STI you may snap when you start to modify the car, bc lets face it, you will modify it. As for the Auto-xing, it sounds like your chances of doing it are on the lower side, so the extra money for the STI for something you probably wont do might not be worth it. Also, I feel like a lot of people are happier with a kartboy short throw shifter and some bushings over the SPT short shifter (anybody?).

Also, black gets dirty VERY easily, so get blue...and then paint the wheels gold haha.

just my $0.02
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    To be the old guy here ... a common mistake people make right out of school is to overspend on things - especially cars.
    Another way to look at it is that he (presumably) does not yet have a wife/kids as a constant, parasitic draw on his disposable income. Talk to a financial advisor, take care of the base of the pyramid, the retirement...and then blow all the rest of it on enjoying your 20's, I say.

Which car is a subjective thing. The WRX is a sporty daily driver, the STI is a track car that you can drive on the street. Different focii.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.