'12 wrx short throw shifter problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '12 wrx short throw shifter problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I picked up my wrx on friday ( 3-30 ) and the car is absolutely everything i was hoping for. ...

I Support ClubWRX

'12 wrx short throw shifter problems

I picked up my wrx on friday ( 3-30 ) and the car is absolutely everything i was hoping for. quick, agile, and the all wheel drive is impressive. anyways, i had the short throw shifter installed as on option when i ordered the car. I'm not impressed. it doesn't feel clean like you'd expect a new car to feel. A couple friends that i've talked to about this have told me the trans probably has to be broken in a little. Also sometimes i get rejected when shifting into 3, and reverse is 75% of the time a stubble to get into. I've put just under 400 miles in 3 days. so i've done a lot of driving, at least for me. any recommendations? i'm thinking ill call the dealer this week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Aftermarket rear & front shifter stay bushings will improve shifter feel.The Short shifter does nothing for shifter feel.It only shortens the throw.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    you no, i've read that. and i had a thread started asking if those bushings made a difference. after getting all the great respond's i called my sales men and told him to add that to the option list. when i asked him if the bushings were put in on friday he said when i asked the parts guy he looked at me like i had three eyes and said it comes with the short throw shifter... proooobably didn't have those installed.

I Support ClubWRX
    It does not come with the short shifter.The SPT bushings have to be ordered separately.

Or go aftermarket.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    i've read aftermarket is the way to go. kartboy?

I Support ClubWRX
    Absolutely.I have kartboys & I'm very happy with mine.They are by far the most popular.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    well once again rage thanks for the good input. ill check your mod thread for how to switch those out.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have the factory STS as well and will be ordering some Kartboy bushings as well. I've read a lot of people recommending them and that shifting gets much much better with the bushings installed. All I need to make my mind up about getting the Kartboy STS too lol..
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I have kartboy sts and front bushing...im installing the rear this week...I love the feel of the sts
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Also, and it may just be me getting used to it, but on the stock shifter I feel that it has gotten a bit better after some more miles.

I'll still be getting a sts eventually anyways
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    ill be ordering those this week and installing over the weekend. thanks for everyones input!

yeah i picked up my '12 on 3/18 and have the spt sts port installed and im having issues putting the car into reverse. if the car is in motion, and i come to a stop, (i.e. 3 point turn, or even parking the car) i cant get it into reverse. i have to go through the rhythm of shifting through gears and then putting it into reverse. by far, the only gripe i have with the car is the tranny. i drove my friends '11 STi and its night and day. i hope it gets better over time..

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble going into reverse
    "12 wrx

i have a spt sts without upgraded bushings. a combination of get bushings, break it in and getting use to it should do the trick. it took me a few thousand miles to break it in and get use to the way the wrx shifts, so it will take some time but i can say that mine is now pretty smooth. as far as bushings go from what i can tell there is no difference between the kartboy and cobb but the cobb is $5 less.

I Support ClubWRX
    I confronted my dealer about the trouble going into reverse. They told me to reclutch and try again. Its been ok for now I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast