'12 wrx short throw shifter problems - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on '12 wrx short throw shifter problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I received the part Thursday. Finally had time to install in this morning. Not a hard install but when I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I received the part Thursday. Finally had time to install in this morning. Not a hard install but when I had both bushings in my hands I sure was skeptical if I had the right part. They were identical, other then the diameter of the bushing hole. The new bushing was only .20 smaller in diameter. Skeptical it was going to change my outcome I installed and after a 45 min test drive i was proven wrong. My shifts were smooth as I expected!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Reverse sucks in my car too. I'm pretty sure its because reverse uses a straight cut gear. Thsts also why we get the wind up toy sound when backing up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zolaman View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one having trouble going into reverse
    "12 wrx
    My salesman told me when going into Revers if it doesn't work pit it into first the go to revers. I had the factory WRX short throw installed in mine and it took a little while to break in and fully feel solid the worst if you can call it was was 4th to 5th. It takes time to get used to it. Though I do plan on new bushings myself.

yeah! 4th to 5th gave me trouble sometimes too

Most aftermarket bushings are near identical rip-offs of the Kartboys (I have Cobb since I also ordered their STS lever). The shifts are noticeably stiffer with the new setup, but they are obviously shorter and more direct. I expect them to become easier with some more miles.

I also have trouble with Reverse at times.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

1) Kartboy bushings make it a whole new feel. Some of the best money you can spend.

2) Get in the habit of double clutching when going into reverse and you will eliminate some of your frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slickmoney; 04-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by free2be4ever7 View Post
    I received the part Thursday. Finally had time to install in this morning. Not a hard install but when I had both bushings in my hands I sure was skeptical if I had the right part. They were identical, other then the diameter of the bushing hole. The new bushing was only .20 smaller in diameter. Skeptical it was going to change my outcome I installed and after a 45 min test drive i was proven wrong. My shifts were smooth as I expected!
    Yeah, the better shifting has nothing to do with the appearance or size of the bushing. It is the material. Harder, more dense material are what make your shifting feel better.

Glad you like them. Now you want the tranny cross member bushings and a group n tranny mount.

sent from my Kindle conflagration
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

i also have a '12 w short shifter factory installed. i gotta say other than the stereo this is the biggest gripe i have about the car. it feels like a 68 bug. i like AWD but next time i will definately see what my options are on other brands, certain things in a car should be a positive experience...like the STEREO and the SHIFTING /sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by leebruk View Post
    i also have a '12 w short shifter factory installed. i gotta say other than the stereo this is the biggest gripe i have about the car. it feels like a 68 bug. i like AWD but next time i will definately see what my options are on other brands, certain things in a car should be a positive experience...like the STEREO and the SHIFTING /sigh.
    Get a set of these, then let us know how you like it.
    Kartboy dot com :: Subaru WRX :: 2008-2012 WRX :: Kartboy 5-Speed Shifter Bushing Combo

The way the shifter feels is easy to change, no need to discount the whole product just because of this aspect.

thanx, will it give me any warranty issues if i install it? if not will do.

edit: actually i dont care at this point gonna get one anyhow )

No, there will be no warranty issues with the bushings.

Sloppy Stock Bushings & Sloppy/Long Throw Stock Shifter Vs. Kartboy STS and Bushings

Picked up my '13 WRX in November 2012 and the bushings have broken in and smoothed out just recently (6 months later).

When I'm cock-blocked a gear, the length of throw on the stock shifter forces me to double clutch to get in gear. I find this happens mostly going up/down to 3rd or up to 5th. This can be dangerous if I'm shifting before a turn and don't get in gear before the apex!

Reverse is always notchy; as expected with a straight cut R gear. Another thread mentioned going to second before reverse. I've found double clutching and going from 2nd to R both work well.

I just ordered the KartBoy STS kit (with bushing set) from RallySportDirect.com. $165.00 - Arrives next week!
    Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushing Combo Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) KB-002-LEG-WRX08 at RallySportDirect.com

I imagine the KartBoy Bushings will stiffen it up again, but will be necessary upgrades for the changes to the shift rod caused by the short throw shifter. Plus, I hear aftermarket bushings will remove the slop, so it shouldn't bother anymore.

I'm stoked for the KartBoy upgrades!

2013 WRX Hatch Black (CBS)
    Self Mods:
    Rally Armor Flaps
    OEM Fog Light Kit
    OEM Rain/Wind Guard Kit
    Phillips H9 Low Beam Customization
    Phillips 9011 High Beam Customization
    AEM High Flow Drop in Air Filter (Dry)

Near Future:
    KartBoy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings
    20mm Whiteline Rear SwayBar w/ KartBoy End Links
    Winter Wheel and Tire Setup (Snowboard Season!)
    - 30% Tint Wrap / 3M Clear Bra -Seeking Pro Detailing and Install

I had the same shifter installed when I bought my car. Its crap it just shortens the throw by shortening the shift lever length by a half inch. Sometimes they also do the shift linkage but ive heard not always. Any ways I have the shift linkage, Cobb SS with front and rear bushings, group N tranny mount with Tic crossmember bushings and I love the shifting now. Next will be a pitch stop and some new tranny fluid. I cant wait till that's done too!

Also I still have problems getting into reverse from time to time lol I think we all do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.