New WRX owners: Base, Premium, or Limited? and why? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Which WRX trim level did you pick up?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Base

39 41.94%
  • Premium

33 35.48%
  • Limited

21 22.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX owners: Base, Premium, or Limited? and why? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mikie13, True STI does have a better drivetrain and suspension but I plan on changing that as well. The WRX ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Mikie13,

True STI does have a better drivetrain and suspension but I plan on changing that as well. The WRX is a better buy for those of us who want to make the car ours. KW Coilovers, some swaybars and endlinks are sure to come soon after then a sweet set of Rota Grids either Hyper Black or Yahama Black 18x9.5. I just couldn't see spending the extra 8000 on factory performance, Id rather customize. Besides isn't 'Love... what makes a Subaru a Subaru" ? I have loved for all Subarus they truly are great cars that come from a long line of race bred rally cars

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STORMTRP2012 View Post
    True, STI does have a better drivetrain... but I plan on changing that as well.
    To what exactly? An STI's?

There are a lot more differences between the two than the transmission and suspension. Engine internals, brakes, bushings, lighter materials, etc. Even if you swapped the springs and struts from an STI onto your WRX (or coilovers, or whatever), you still wouldn't have the stronger and lighter control arms, links, bushings etc used all over the STI.

Have fun with your WRX, you made a good decision, but it's not like Subaru just slapped on some extra HP and a six speed and called it a day.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    That was a typo lol, I meant Suspension, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't SoA offer a full suspension upgrade? STI Aluminum control arms, swaybars, struts and springs? Waiting for them to make the kit for 08+ only 2007 and lower right now. I'm not arguing the STI isn't worth the cash or that they just slapped a 6 spd and added 40HP and called it a day... I'm just saying for what I intend on doing the WRX was a better choice. If i had 8000 extra to spend on top of the parts sure I would have gotten an STI, but I dont

LOL this got off topic quickly just as i predicted after someone offended an STI owner. there is no argument here. the STI is a better car in more ways than 1. is it my #1 choice for a car at 38k? no. is the WRX my #1 choice for cars priced at 24-30k? yes.

Hahaha I keep thinking Rambo is me...I was about to say "I didn't reply to that!"

Subaru does have numerous SPT and STI parts, but just cause you replace a few of them, doesn't mean you all of a sudden have an STI. By the time you do replace all those suspension bits, transmission, knuckles, brakes, and whatever to something "customized" that you wanted to do...you'll end up spending a lot more than the $8k difference between the two.

I agree that everyone should enjoy their car and I encourage the modding of your own path because it does make it "yours" in that sense. But I'd just rather start with the STI platform, that's all. The WRX is fine for you...but the STI is fine for me...I just poke fun at it with newer members since it is such an often debated topic

My biggest qualm is however that the STI and WRX were MUCH more different with the GDB (04-07) years because they was a significant difference in power. Ergo why I got an STI over a WRX back in 2006 with my first STI. It really was that big of a difference

[/MagnumXL]
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    My biggest qualm is however that the STI and WRX were MUCH more different with the GDB (04-07) years because they was a significant difference in power. Ergo why I got an STI over a WRX back in 2006 with my first STI. It really was that big of a difference
    True dat! I did not even consider a WRX or even showed any interest in any Subarus before 2011, when the WRX came out with an STI body. I saw an article for the WRX sometime in late 2010 and have drooled over it since, until I finally came up with an excuse to sell my 2001 540i/6 and jump ship from BMW after being a lifelong BMW driver.

I Support ClubWRX
    Apologize if I offended any STI owners I didn't mean too I was just voicing my opinion for choosing the car I did. You all seem pretty knowledgeable and helpful on Subarus and I do greatly appreciate any advice or info you can share with me.

lol did you include [/MagnumXL] in your post because you response was long?
    nice avatar btw

I Support ClubWRX
    Apologize if I offended any STI owners I didn't mean too I was just voicing my opinion for choosing the car I did. You all seem pretty knowledgeable and helpful on Subarus and I do greatly appreciate any advice or info you can share with me.
    I, for one, was incredibly hurt and offended. I will fight you to the ends if the earth.

/sarcasm
    I don't even have an STI, I have a Bugeye, haha.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

LOL, oh youngling you have much to learn. never ever say your WRX is faster than an STI (even though it may be). this will avoid any conflicts and the feel of having to justify someone's decisions on why they chose either trim. i've seen it all, and not just here.

during my 540i/6 ownership, we all knew that there was no way to be "better" than an M5, however some found that spending thousands of dollars putting a supercharger on it could make it "faster" than an M5.

of course i guess that is an entirely different situation, since in our world, all you would need is a DP and a tune to be "faster" than an STI

This has actually become one of the fun debates at this point

Don't worry, no offense has been taken and we know everyone has their reasons for their choice. The main one being price...for that $8k less, you still do get one hell of a performance based car.

I always wanted an E39 540/6. That's just such a baller car from that time. I almost had one but it had 150k on it and I drove too much to purchase that
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Repair costs kept me away from a used bimmer
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

good call, 150k miles, you woulda needed a valley pan gasket cuz coolant is mysteriously disappearing, and your timing chain guide rails (plastic) may have disintegrated already and pieces of plastic are probably sitting in your oil pump pickup screen. ROFL

mine had 66k when i bought it, but this was when i had a daily driver (97 318ti). when i decided to sell the daily driver because i wanted to justify driving the 540 every day, it did not like it one bit. just after a few months, the starter solenoid stopped working (replaced, new one went bad after a month, deemed defective, then 3 months later it started acting up again), then it started losing about a quart of coolant per week (mechanic did a pressure test and found no leaks (uh oh.. valley pan gasket). then the looming threat of a disintegrating chain guide rail was too much for me to handle so i can sleep at night. ROFL.

i do miss her though

2001 BMW 540i/6 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Repair costs kept me away from a used bimmer
    yep, never again.... i went thru 5 bmws from 1999 through 2011. i had a great independent mechanic who was really cheap on labor and never screwed me on parts, w/o him i woulda never have been able to afford to maintain them, but they were awesome cars. DRIVERS cars. once the 2011 WRX caught my eye though, i sold the 540 the second i came up with an excuse to, and bought one w/o even test driving it. LOL it was a leap of faith, and i had no regrets, until i found out about the ringland threat. DAMNIT, LOL!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm learning standard on this beast I had delivered from NH last night...been a lot fun so far. Base black that I've wanted for a long time. Should I matte it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.