NEW 2012 SUBARU WRX PREMIUM OWNER!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on NEW 2012 SUBARU WRX PREMIUM OWNER! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I just bought a new 2012 WRX and only one word comes to my mind... LOVE Let me just ...

NEW 2012 SUBARU WRX PREMIUM OWNER!

So I just bought a new 2012 WRX and only one word comes to my mind... LOVE

Let me just start out by saying I am not a car whiz, I know the basics. What i do plan on is learning everything I can about my WRX so in time I can do all the maintenance on it.

When I figured out I needed a new car, (tranny went out on my 250,000 mile civic) the first thing I thought of was a Subaru. A buddy in High school had a WRX and of course, since i drove a ****ty 97' Honda civic, I was extremely jealous. I only test drove this one car and immediately fell in love. I finally have a car I can take up to Lake Tahoe to go snowboarding and won't have to worry about the vehicles reliability in snowy conditions.

Questions ---

I did not buy any further warranty's that dealership offered. One of the financial guys who was helping me recommended the 6 year / 70,000 mile warranty for more than 2,000$
    I thought this was a little much even though 300$ is because of the turbo. With regular maintenance and properly taking care of my new baby, should I not even worry about a further warranty?

Other than regular maintenance (oil change, air filter change...etc...) is there anything else I can do to ensure the longevity of my Subaru?

Any help/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	103667

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ooo. That is shiny!

Congrats and welcome to the club
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    get a few hundred miles on it before you really run it hard. when you run the car for a real long time always give the engine a few minutes to idle so your turbo has a chance to cool. they are water cooled so if your in a rush its not terrible to shut it right off. be careful with that clutch....its not the best. also remember that a turbo will one day go out. its a ware item just like a clutch.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, just read / follow your owner's manual on break in and maintenance etc.

Here is a good link if you want to learn more - much of it is about modifications though.

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Looks good and congrats!

I always look at warranties as something like insurance, which is something like gambling. You can fork over your money, and maybe it will pay off, maybe it won't. I personally prefer to have my warranty as long as possible to hopefully cover any unforeseeable events that could happen no matter how much TLC you give your car and stick to the maintenance guidelines. It all comes down to what level of peace of mind you would like to have. A WRX is a quirky car with plenty of things to go bad, but plenty of engineering to hopefully prevent that.

With that said, I would stick to doing regular maintenance as set forth by Subaru of America, and see how your car runs. Due to the fairly poor-length initial warranty Subaru offers, you will only have 3 years or less depending on how much you drive. As those 3 years come to close, see how the car has held up and you can always make a decision as to whether you'd like to extend the warranty or not. You may find that the car will need next to no work for 10+ years and all of the warranty was for nothing, but you never had to worry. Likewise you can opt to not pay for the warranty and hope that whatever money you'd spend on it could cover any future problems. Sorry for being somewhat equivocal, but it's a decision that in the end there really is no good answer. That is, unless you plan on heavily modifying the car, at which point the warranty would be fairly worthless because the dealer could find plenty of ways to deny your warranty claims.

Be sure to use the recommended 5w-30 full synthetic oil at every change. If you are doing the work yourself, you may find the first oil change can be an adventure - mine was. The factory filter may feel as if it has been glued on, so just a heads up in case this happens to you, give one of these a try: Strap Wrench. I own a few different types of filter wrenches, and that was the ONLY type that could get the factory filter off. Anyway, good luck with the car and enjoy it, it'll be a blast for sure!
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I think the extended warranties are a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by lashak View Post
    get a few hundred miles on it before you really run it hard. when you run the car for a real long time always give the engine a few minutes to idle so your turbo has a chance to cool. they are water cooled so if your in a rush its not terrible to shut it right off. be careful with that clutch....its not the best. also remember that a turbo will one day go out. its a ware item just like a clutch.
    There is no need to idle the car - the water still circulates after you shut it off.

Both the turbo and the clutch should last 100K easily, and double that or more is possible.

High Mileage Club

Wow! 6yr/70k warranty for 2 grand??? I'd never do that considering the standard power train warranty is 5yr/60k.

And the very first thing I'd suggest you do to the car is buy some Rally Armor mud flaps to protect the paint. They are not the best looking but work well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Yeah,I was offered the same warranty for $1200 or so.They were definitely trying to rip you off.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

THANKS GUYS.

Really Appreciate the help.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the purchase
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, nice car
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome!

I think someone up there said not to drive hard for "a few hundred miles."

Factory recommended break-in is 1000 miles. Keep the RPMs under 4k, no hard starts or stops except in emergencies. I personally didn't go past about half throttle either during that period.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    If extended warranties didn't yield a profit, they wouldn't sell them. Save your money.....or blow it on mods!
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    PS - How in the hell do you remember your username?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.