New, saying hi!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New, saying hi! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, new to subaru and this forum. Been a long time fan of the wrx. In the last few years, ...

New, saying hi!

Hello, new to subaru and this forum. Been a long time fan of the wrx. In the last few years, been loving the new hatch design so thinking about getting myself in one (with the wife's blessing). I'm very new to wrx's so I'll be reading more than posting. But just starting this up with some basic questions.

I hear a lot of "if you can afford it, get the sti" comments. Is the difference that significant? I see the transmission and engine and some suspension pieces. But would you get a new wrx or a used sti? For example, no matter how much you mod a 3 series, it's still no M3. Just the feel is so different. Is it the same for the sti and wrx's? (No autocross, but a lot of mountain roads)

Also, I see that the inventory for new wrx's is very limited (here in los angeles, ca). Do people that get new wrx's usually order? How long does it take? I take 3 months or more?

Anyway, thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello, the difference is less and less as time goes by, since Subaru have corrected faults in the STi and made it more like the WRX in some ways that are quite significant. In any case, drive both and decide. People do wait, how much I don't know, and why I also don't know (I'd buy another car or marque if it were me rather than wait, frankly, but that's just me).

The link in my signature has some info you may find interesting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. The WRX vs. STI debate is pretty hot one. I own a wrx, but I've driven an STI. Personally, I would buy a used STI over a new WRX, but my best advice is to drive both and decide for yourself.

Remember that the STI also adds Brembo brakes, the transmission is a six-speed (as opposed to the WRX 5-speed), it adds the electronic diff controls, and of course the more powerful engine. It's up to you if those features are worth the bump in prices.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Wow, this forum is very active!

@SD_GR - thanks for the input. I too have been noticing the trend that's blurring the difference. And thanks for the link! That's actually the first things I look when I look at new forums. It tells you a lot about the forum, how informative it is, and how much the members are willing to help. I found this forum to be both and also very respectful (at least the posts I've read) compared to my previous forums. Also, I'm not the type that waits, the longest I've waited for my car was an afternoon for the delivery, ha! But I will try this time.

@Rambo - Ahhh... the brembo's! Thanks for the input and opinion. That's what I'm looking for. I've owned a few cars and my perception changed as I drove it more. A test drive will give me the basic idea, but living with it gives a clearer picture. The cars are about $5k-$10k difference, so it's a lot more than a 5 minute drive can determine. Your input gives me an idea what to expect and what to look for in the test drive.

@zax - thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    What I wish they'd do is give the WRX the gearbox and brakes from the STi, but not the chassis setup. That'd be the ideal Impreza for my tastes.

Anyway, welcome and again, try to drive both and decide for yourself since tastes vary and the money is not insignificant yet many feel well worth it.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What I wish they'd do is give the WRX the gearbox and brakes from the STi, but not the chassis setup. That'd be the ideal Impreza for my tastes.

Anyway, welcome and again, try to drive both and decide for yourself since tastes vary and the money is not insignificant yet many feel well worth it.
    Thanks for the input! I know I should drive them and get their feel. But I've been so busy that I will probably get only one chance to test drive them both, if they even have them in stock. But all this info is really helpful. The more details I know about their difference, from experienced owners, the more I will know what to look for when I test drive them.

The gearbox and brakes I can understand. But you don't like the STi's chassis? Is it too raw or something else I don't know about it?

Most likely down the road (usually 1 year) I will do some suspension and wheel work. So the chassis feel/feedback is important. I only do this for the look and the "new car" feel. If the stock setup on the STi is already very raw, I'm not sure if it's right for me. This is great, as I would probably have not noticed this in a 5 min test drive without looking for it. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyshift View Post
    Thanks for the input! I know I should drive them and get their feel. But I've been so busy that I will probably get only one chance to test drive them both, if they even have them in stock. But all this info is really helpful. The more details I know about their difference, from experienced owners, the more I will know what to look for when I test drive them.

The gearbox and brakes I can understand. But you don't like the STi's chassis? Is it too raw or something else I don't know about it?
    My ideal car rides like a magic carpet. In the past, STi cars have not. The new cars are much improved from what I understand though.

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the forum, i drive a new wrx and love it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My ideal car rides like a magic carpet. In the past, STi cars have not. The new cars are much improved from what I understand though.
    Ahhh, I see. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    welcome to the forum, i drive a new wrx and love it
    Hi blkwrx! Awesome car! I will assume it's still pretty stock? I wish they maintained the dark headlights for the '12's... Any mod's your thinking about? I see you also have a Mustang and a Jeep. Did your wrx replace any of these cars?

Anything you noticed about your wrx after you bought the car? (both + & -)

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'd buy a used STI over a WRX...in fact, I did

Welcome!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

@ t0rque & rage-wrx - thanks!

@ mikie13 - thanks! a buddy of mine had an 05 STi, it was awesome! Once after a day of boarding, we raced down the mountain. He had the STi and I had an M3 back then. Man, that was fun! Awesome car!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.