new car, is a wrx right for me?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88

This is a discussion on new car, is a wrx right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, as you can see, i am new to this forum! Though i am new, i have used the ...

  1. #1
    Registered User DSfriscoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay area
    Posts
    53

    new car, is a wrx right for me?

    Hey guys, as you can see, i am new to this forum! Though i am new, i have used the search function to try and answer my questions, but to no avail, as they were either outdated or vague.I first want to say that i am still relatively ignorant to cars, as this car will be my first(i saved up, and my parents are helping me buy a used one!).

    I am going to be getting my first car soon, and have fallen in love with the Subaru wrx. My first question is weather the sti is worth the extra money. I dont plan on speeding, but i was wondering if the sti is a more enjoyable ride than just the wrx. It is very likely that i will be adding some basic mods, so if one is more compatable, than that is important. My second question is what is the point in getting a car if i dont plan on doing higher than 80mph? i will go much faster on tracks here and there, but for the vast majority of the time, it will be on the streets. What made you go out and get such a high performance car?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond, all help is appreciated. Also, if you could choose a year of WRX, which year would you choose?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User ThatOneGuy18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    121
    Welcome! - To answer the title of the post, I think a wrx is right for everybody I can only speak for myself ( 2009 wrx) but I think the general consensus that at least I've gathered on the forums is that if you can afford it, the STi is [I]usually[I] the best option. Don't get me wrong though, a 'simple' wrx is almost too much fun for me sometimes and I love it to pieces, but the STi comes with better bits and pieces from the start. As far as mods go, they are both relatively straight forward with a number of options available for each - You'll find both beefed up wherever you look.

    To answer your second question, my old tacoma did 80mph if I tried, but my wrx just gets there much faster now, and I do it with quite a bit bigger smile on my face in the process. I just love the way it drives, the sound it makes, and the enjoyment I get out of it. If you've already driven one, or drive one in the future, I'm sure you'll know what I mean. At the end of the day, you gotta do what makes you happy, but I think a wrx will certainly be able to help you with that
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

  4. #3
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,495
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think either is a good choice for a first car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #4
    Registered User UEDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't think either is a good choice for a first car.
    That.
    I would probably be dead if I drove my WRX the way I drove my old Civic.

  6. #5
    Registered User powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    3,595
    At one point i tried to sell my WRX (big mistake but beside the point) and a 16 year old kid wanted to buy it. I told him no.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

    2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

    Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

  7. #6
    Registered User DSfriscoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay area
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't think either is a good choice for a first car.
    Thanks for the replies! I think i get where your coming from. The reason i can get such a good car right off the bat is that i am helping pay for it (5000 saved up as of right now), and my parents want me to get a good car right out the gate since they did for my sister. so, i want to make sure that i get a car that is practical, and fun! Was there any other reason that you didnt think it would be a good first car? Also, how has the low MPG been affecting you guys recently with the high gas prices? Thanks for the help.

  8. #7
    Registered User Dzanga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    phx
    Posts
    254
    Assuming that your 16-17 probably not thinking its a good first car because this is a car that can get you in to a lot of trouble. Right now you say you won't take it over 80 but everyone in awhile you will get that urge to see how fast you can go. I am only 21 turned 21 a month before I got mine and was tellin myself the same thing. Need less to say I have taken it over 80 countless time and the rush it gives you makes you want to do it over and over again. By the way I love my car and if its a car you want get it just know what your getting in to. No sense in getting something else and be kicking your self in the but wishing you got a wrx. As far as gas prices I came from $100 fill ups and going to $60. Doesn't bother me at all!
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

  9. #8
    Registered User jlinnell98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I think i get where your coming from. The reason i can get such a good car right off the bat is that i am helping pay for it (5000 saved up as of right now), and my parents want me to get a good car right out the gate since they did for my sister. so, i want to make sure that i get a car that is practical, and fun! Was there any other reason that you didnt think it would be a good first car? Also, how has the low MPG been affecting you guys recently with the high gas prices? Thanks for the help.
    I think it all depends on the individual, I had a friend with a Z28 that drove moderately while I was going well over 100 in my 1992 Dodge Shadow. I think I would have been safer going 100+ in a WRX (not many airbags in the old Shadow - not that it'd help much at those speeds). Another friend also had a 1996 Cobra which was way too much car for him (I drove it on the weekends which was fun). I think something that impractical doesn't make sense, I don't think an older unmodded WRX is quite to the Cobra level, but IMO you should avoid the STi for now - the WRX will give you a softer ride for DD. I have a 2010, but if I wasn't able to afford brand new (at the time) I would have went with an 04/05, or just any year that I could find that was clean with low mileage.

  10. #9
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,530
    I Support ClubWRX
    Now this is just my opinion, but......I think Honda/Acura make the "best" first cars.

    You can grab a nice Civic Si or Integra/RSX for that kind of money. You'll get great MPG and still be able to have fun. They aren't too fast, but definitely not slow. If something breaks the repair cost is much much less than on a Subaru. If you do decide to mod the car then obviously there are tons of parts available.

    If it were me (or my child) I would be considering these vehicles over any WRX/STi.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  11. #10
    Registered User maus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,134
    Consider the cost of insurance if this is going to be your first car. It will be through the roof. At 25 mine is expensive enough. $165 a month. Not to mention the fact that it is a lot of car for your first car.

  12. #11
    Registered User AmateurX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Troy, Michigan
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Consider the cost of insurance if this is going to be your first car. It will be through the roof. At 25 mine is expensive enough. $165 a month. Not to mention the fact that it is a lot of car for your first car.
    Agreed. At a young age, you'll get murdilated with insurance premiums. I recommend a standard Impreza.

    The first car I bought was a Geo. It was my first manual, but it was a dog. Had it been even remotely powerful, I would've killed somebody. My WRX is now my 5th car. Top speed was definitely not the reason why I went with the WRX. I was after the AWD, manual trans, and acceleration. There's obviously more to a car's performance than just top speed.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    71
    i agree with jlinnell98, it really depends on the person. i personally believe that a stock wrx is dog turd slow and isnt a bad first car for anyone with basic mechanic skills. parts for these cars are not cheap and the maintenance is a little much for a beginner and wouldnt recomend one for that reason alone. but other than that they are great cars and you should really do your research before you spend any money on a car.

  14. #13
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,768
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Now this is just my opinion, but......I think Honda/Acura make the "best" first cars.

    You can grab a nice Civic Si or Integra/RSX for that kind of money. You'll get great MPG and still be able to have fun. They aren't too fast, but definitely not slow. If something breaks the repair cost is much much less than on a Subaru. If you do decide to mod the car then obviously there are tons of parts available.

    If it were me (or my child) I would be considering these vehicles over any WRX/STi.
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Consider the cost of insurance if this is going to be your first car. It will be through the roof. At 25 mine is expensive enough. $165 a month. Not to mention the fact that it is a lot of car for your first car.
    Both of these hit the nail on the head.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    14
    Unless you are from Finland and have completed three years of advanced driver training new drivers should get a slow car with good brakes, lots of airbags, a full roll cage, no stereo, a cellphone blocker, only one seat so you won't have friends distracting you, a flashing light on the roof and a tracking device so your parents know exactly where you are and how fast you're going. Just the exact opposite of my first car, a '71 Dodge Challenger with bad brakes and a 383 Magnum, it almost killed me a few times and had a great time doing it too. Just my opinion as an adult that survived this far.

  16. #15
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,495
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't disagree with Tibetski.

    What I've found helpful is legislation that uses plackards in the rear window to designate new drivers. A large red "N" is used, and it's in the vehicle code so any/everyone knows what it means. New drivers are then easy to spot and one can give them space etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •