new car, is a wrx right for me? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on new car, is a wrx right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DSfriscoe Thanks for the replies. I would certainly love a STI, the only reason i haven't pulled ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I would certainly love a STI, the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on it is because i am worried about insurance costs. Thanks for informing me on the 2008's and 2009's. I still probably would prefer a different year still because of the bland exterior compared to other years. I am a very patient person (working on it anyways) so i will make SURE to get a good STi if i decide to go that direction, because i understand that many may have been thrashed my there owners.

Im sure this has been asked over 100 times, and i've even read a few of them, but lets go over it again! is the STI really that much better over the wrx? I had someone PM me with some useful information about the differences, but i want to see if there are other reasons. I know the obvious differences: brakes, more HP, suspension, but is there more? thanks!
    It is THAT much better if you plan on modifying it, racing it, beating on it, abusing it, or if you are the kind of person that really will push the car to it's limits. Otherwise... no. It's not.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It is THAT much better if you plan on modifying it, racing it, beating on it, abusing it, or if you are the kind of person that really will push the car to it's limits. Otherwise... no. It's not.
    Im not sure if im that guy or not. I heard that the wrx's 5-speed can only hold 350hp? Is this true?
    Hope to one day be the owner of a WRX!

Im not sure if im that guy or not. I heard that the wrx's 5-speed can only hold 350hp? Is this true?
    Lol - if you plan on getting your stock WRX up to 350HP, you need the STI. You're asking the wrong questions.

Have you driven anything yet?
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    So you have to keep in mind that whenever subaru owners are talking about horsepower, we're talking about "Wheel" horsepower... or horsepower as it's transmitted to a dynamometer. A stock WRX from 2006 (my year) had 230horsepower from the factory. In actuality it was estimated to be from 180-190 Wheel Horsepower. My current 430Wheel Horsepower is estimated to be between 510 and 540 horsepower at the crank.

And there is no guarantee as to how much power a stock drivetrain can handle. The WRX one handles less than the STi one. But in 2008, they improved the gears, and there are people with a lot of HP on stock trannys
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    So you have to keep in mind that whenever subaru owners are talking about horsepower, we're talking about "Wheel" horsepower... or horsepower as it's transmitted to a dynamometer. A stock WRX from 2006 (my year) had 230horsepower from the factory. In actuality it was estimated to be from 180-190 Wheel Horsepower. My current 430Wheel Horsepower is estimated to be between 510 and 540 horsepower at the crank.

And there is no guarantee as to how much power a stock drivetrain can handle. The WRX one handles less than the STi one. But in 2008, they improved the gears, and there are people with a lot of HP on stock trannys
    I work in Hollywood... there's a lot of people out here who stalk trannys...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

I Support ClubWRX
    heyoooo
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    I work in Hollywood... there's a lot of people out here who stalk trannys...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tv-big-bang-theory-sheldon-bazinga-poster-TRrp1533.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	108327
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

lol I had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    lol I had to say it.
    didn't get it till i re-read it a few times!

Back on topic. Im guessing that i will be fine with a WRX, as i don't think i have a 500whp beast in mind. I know that this may not always be true, but generally, is the newer the year, the better it is? Because i like the look of a 2005 wagon, but i know of many issues that come with older wagons that are fixed in later years. Thoughts?

EDIT: other thoughts. Does the 2003-2005 wagon handle the same as the 4-door? Is there a noticeable difference that would make someone more performance oriented want the 4-door over hatch, or vice versa? Thanks

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    didn't get it till i re-read it a few times!

Back on topic. Im guessing that i will be fine with a WRX, as i don't think i have a 500whp beast in mind. I know that this may not always be true, but generally, is the newer the year, the better it is? Because i like the look of a 2005 wagon, but i know of many issues that come with older wagons that are fixed in later years. Thoughts?

EDIT: other thoughts. Does the 2003-2005 wagon handle the same as the 4-door? Is there a noticeable difference that would make someone more performance oriented want the 4-door over hatch, or vice versa? Thanks
    The slightly narrower track is not going to be noticeable. Some had a small rear sway bar which can be swapped for the 20mm sedan one or replaced with aftermarket - everything else that matters for handling is the same. The wagons have a higher top speed by a slim margin.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The slightly narrower track is not going to be noticeable. Some had a small rear sway bar which can be swapped for the 20mm sedan one or replaced with aftermarket - everything else that matters for handling is the same. The wagons have a higher top speed by a slim margin.
    alright, thanks for the reply. I will update if i have anymore questions(shouldn't be long), or an update to the car search.

I hope you can handle the responsibility that goes along with having a fast car. I know that when I was a teen I couldn't.
    Even 30 years later, I still have my moments, but the difference is my judgement of when and where I have indiscretions. I had to take my bike off the street because I couldn't be responsible with something that fast, and the track is a much safer place for being stupid. Remember that when the urge hits.
    I just bought an 09 STi and it s a fun car, but very fast and can get you into trouble by the time you leave second gear.
    Good luck with your purchase and whatever you buy, be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    I hope you can handle the responsibility that goes along with having a fast car. I know that when I was a teen I couldn't.
    Even 30 years later, I still have my moments, but the difference is my judgement of when and where I have indiscretions. I had to take my bike off the street because I couldn't be responsible with something that fast, and the track is a much safer place for being stupid. Remember that when the urge hits.
    I just bought an 09 STi and it s a fun car, but very fast and can get you into trouble by the time you leave second gear.
    Good luck with your purchase and whatever you buy, be safe.
    alright, thanks for the reply. I dont think i have given you guys the full story when i comes to my experience. I have been driving my parents BMWs ( 5series, m series, x5) until i was able to get my own car, so i am familiar with a fast car. I already know i can handle it, i just have to be careful not to do anything stupid, which i know i wont.

EDIT: i read this over after posting, and it almost seems like im bragging, which was not the goal. I was just saying that those cars are just as fast, if not faster than the wrx stock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.