new car, is a wrx right for me? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on new car, is a wrx right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Calvinball I know there's a bunch of VW hate, and I agree with what's been said, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I know there's a bunch of VW hate, and I agree with what's been said, but you could also possibly look at GTI's if you're definitely getting a new car. I wouldn't ever recommend once from the early 2000's, but the new ones seem to have a lot of the reliability issues ironed out. It is a nice car that is pretty good on gas and certainly fun to drive, but stock they are definitely not as dangerous as a WRX.

You should start a list and go test drive. GTI, Civic SI, Impreza Hatch, Ford Focus, Hyundai Veloster. Drive em and see which one you like the most.

I do agree with the guys saying keep an open mind about the WRX, BUT, I thought I was a pretty good driver when I was 17 and I still got myself into trouble and wrecked it eventually. And in retrospect, I wasn't a very good driver. You do seem very level-headed for your age (old fart alert!) however, which I couldn't necessarily claim for myself. The other thing to consider though, if you are buying new, is that you aren't going to get a new WRX for under 24k.

Feel free to stick around the forum though, throughout your process. I'm pretty new around here too but there's a lot of good advice here and it is delivered in a friendly way. These guys know a lot more than just WRXs, and having a friendly wealth of car knowledge at your fingertips when you're trying to decide on your first car is something to take advantage of

Oh, and finally, since you are buying new and unfortunately statistics suggest that as a first time driver you are more likely to get into an accident, you may want to consider gap insurance depending on how much money you'll be putting down as a downpayment. I was in the middle of writing an explanation of that, but I gotta run. If you don't know what it is, I'm sure someone else can explain, or I will later on.
    Thanks for the help, i will definitely go test drive some of the cars you listed when i can. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as the insurance also. A young male driving a 300hp car? Would cost a ton just for the basics i would assume! I will continue to research the cars, and will tell you what i think when i get around to it. But for now, i have a mid term to study for!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey guys! Sorry for bumping this old thread, but i have some news. First off, i want to let you know that during the time that this thread has been dead, i have been putting some serious thought into my first car.

After getting tons more experience of daily driving to school and back, as well as long 200mi camping trips, i have decided that the Subaru is still the car for me. I do not want this car cause i want to be a boy racer, or to impress my friends, but simply because i want a car that is future proof, that is practical, and that i will be able to enjoy as i mature. If you recall from the earlier posts in this thread, i was planning on settling on a less powerful car, such as a stock impreza, VW golf, etc. Though those cars are great, i still knew deep down that i would never really be happy. I know you may be thinking that i am looking at this from the wrong perspective, and should be considering the prices of insurance, and i certainly have. i got quotes from multiple insurance offices in my area and got the impreza, wrx, gti, golf, and a few more. though the wrx was the the highest, it was a managable price due to good student, multi car, etc.

I know there is a stereotype that since i am young, i am going to crash this car, and not be able to appreciate it, but that is simply not the case. Anyone can type on a forum that they will be responsible, but i have reflected on myself, and honestly know that i can handle myself. Though there will be moments where i will want to see what my car can do, i know that i have the knowledge and mindset to know when different driving styles is appropriate!

Thoughts? I hope to become a active member of this community again!
    Last edited by DSfriscoe; 08-18-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Hey guys! Sorry for bumping this old thread, but i have some news. First off, i want to let you know that during the time that this thread has been dead, i have been putting some serious thought into my first car.

After getting tons more experience of daily driving to school and back, as well as long 200mi camping trips, i have decided that the Subaru is still the car for me. I do not want this car cause i want to be a boy racer, or to impress my friends, but simply because i want a car that is future proof, that is practical, and that i will be able to enjoy as i mature. If you recall from the earlier posts in this thread, i was planning on settling on a less powerful car, such as a stock impreza, VW golf, etc. Though those cars are great, i still knew deep down that i would never really be happy. I know you may be thinking that i am looking at this from the wrong perspective, and should be considering the prices of insurance, and i certainly have. i got quotes from multiple insurance offices in my area and got the impreza, wrx, gti, golf, and a few more. though the wrx was the the highest, it was a managable price due to good student, multi car, etc.

I know there is a stereotype that since i am young, i am going to crash this car, and not be able to appreciate it, but that is simply not the case. Anyone can type on a forum that they will be responsible, but i have reflected on myself, and honestly know that i can handle myself. Though there will be moments where i will want to see what my car can do, i know that i have the knowledge and mindset to know when different driving styles is appropriate!

Thoughts? I hope to become a active member of this community again!
    I'm glad you've taken the time to think things through. I think ultimately we all just want you to be responsible. But this is your decision, not ours, and the only reason we gave you our opinions is because you asked!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Very well written post! Sounds like you have made a good choice!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Good to hear positive feedback! Though i know that i do not need peoples permission to get the wrx, it is a good feeling that others think that i am making a solid decision.
    Hope to one day be the owner of a WRX!

It's always nice to see a young adult make responsible decisions. I'm glad you've thoroughly thought this through, and considered all your options. I hope you enjoy the car you end up with, for a long time.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Alright guys, kind of an update. I've been looking on various online dealers, like craigslist and eBay, and have seen a lot of good choices. My question to you guys, owners of various years, what is the best year to buy if im looking for a used wrx sedan( maybe hatch if newer year). I have been looking for around the year 2005 because i like the look, but also think the newer hatches are beautiful (sedans, not so much ). I have been staying away from 2008-2009, cause i heard that they were not up to par. I don't have too limited of a price range, but want to keep it under 25,000. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: When i say sedan, i mean 4 door, and when i say hatch, i mean 5 door. just to clarify

Alright guys, kind of an update. I've been looking on various online dealers, like craigslist and eBay, and have seen a lot of good choices. My question to you guys, owners of various years, what is the best year to buy if im looking for a used wrx sedan( maybe hatch if newer year). I have been looking for around the year 2005 because i like the look, but also think the newer hatches are beautiful (sedans, not so much ). I have been staying away from 2008-2009, cause i heard that they were not up to par. I don't have too limited of a price range, but want to keep it under 25,000. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: When i say sedan, i mean 4 door, and when i say hatch, i mean 5 door. just to clarify
    Dude if you find the right dealership, you can get a new hatch for 25k...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Dude if you find the right dealership, you can get a new hatch for 25k...
    really? to be honest, i haven't gone to any dealers yet, just been looking online. I don't think i will be getting a car for about 1-2 months still, but i will make sure to be checking out some local car lots. By dealership, do you mean an actual Subaru dealer or just a used car lot?

really? to be honest, i haven't gone to any dealers yet, just been looking online. I don't think i will be getting a car for about 1-2 months still, but i will make sure to be checking out some local car lots. By dealership, do you mean an actual Subaru dealer or just a used car lot?
    I mean find every Subaru dealership in your area now and send them an email. Be concise and to the point: what you want, what you expect your credit score to be, how much you will put down / finance, and ask them if they currently have any available and what kind of pricing you are looking at.

If you're a decently qualified buyer, they'll see this info and understand that you already did most of the work for them and it should be a fairly quick transaction for them to make money off of. Then, when you get several replies you ask the more cordial ones if they are able to match/beat that price.

That's what I did and I got a base '12 DGM hatchback with rear cupholders, footwell illumination, fog lights, cargo mat, and HomeLink mirror for $25,640. If you are willing to strip off a few of those, it might be easy to get it under $25 if you are willing to order a 2013 car and wait.

If you have up to $25k budget...you're in STI territory for 2005-2007s. I'd do that...just keep an eye out for low mileage, one owner, maintenance documented, unmodded ones. Otherwise, you'll at least want anything 2006 WRX or older so you can get the 2.5L engine (bit more torque). No reason why you wouldn't get an 08 or 09 other than 08s being bland and underpowered compared to the 09+. 09s only had a small run of late 08 build dates, that run into bearing problems from the factory, but usually will be covered by SOA even out of warranty.

But otherwise yes, you could get a brand new WRX base model for that amount of money or so.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you have up to $25k budget...you're in STI territory for 2005-2007s. I'd do that...just keep an eye out for low mileage, one owner, maintenance documented, unmodded ones. Otherwise, you'll at least want anything 2006 WRX or older so you can get the 2.5L engine (bit more torque). No reason why you wouldn't get an 08 or 09 other than 08s being bland and underpowered compared to the 09+. 09s only had a small run of late 08 build dates, that run into bearing problems from the factory, but usually will be covered by SOA even out of warranty.

But otherwise yes, you could get a brand new WRX base model for that amount of money or so.
    +1 on all of that, too. When I got my 2012 I was actually expecting to get a 2006-2007 STI, but I have a family and the versatility of the hatchback with the STI widebody and newer creature comforts put it right where I wanted it.

Actual dealer. Although, most likely you'd be looking at under 25k before tax and title and such. For example, I got my base 2012 for about 24,500, but after tax and title it was 26100 give or take a few bucks. I don't know that I've heard of anyone getting a low enough price that it ended up being under 25k after adding in tax.

You could probably get a lightly used 2011 or even 12 for a little less though, if you like the new models enough.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks for the replies.
    I would certainly love a STI, the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on it is because i am worried about insurance costs. Thanks for informing me on the 2008's and 2009's. I still probably would prefer a different year still because of the bland exterior compared to other years. I am a very patient person (working on it anyways) so i will make SURE to get a good STi if i decide to go that direction, because i understand that many may have been thrashed my there owners.

Im sure this has been asked over 100 times, and i've even read a few of them, but lets go over it again! is the STI really that much better over the wrx? I had someone PM me with some useful information about the differences, but i want to see if there are other reasons. I know the obvious differences: brakes, more HP, suspension, but is there more? thanks!

Thanks for the replies.
    I would certainly love a STI, the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on it is because i am worried about insurance costs. Thanks for informing me on the 2008's and 2009's. I still probably would prefer a different year still because of the bland exterior compared to other years. I am a very patient person (working on it anyways) so i will make SURE to get a good STi if i decide to go that direction, because i understand that many may have been thrashed my there owners.

Im sure this has been asked over 100 times, and i've even read a few of them, but lets go over it again! is the STI really that much better over the wrx? I had someone PM me with some useful information about the differences, but i want to see if there are other reasons. I know the obvious differences: brakes, more HP, suspension, but is there more? thanks!
    They're just completely different cars that happen to look identical. Honestly, treat them that way and it will help you understand the comparison better.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast