new car, is a wrx right for me? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on new car, is a wrx right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I enjoy VW's but would only buy a used one if it had a warranty...

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy VW's but would only buy a used one if it had a warranty

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm impressed by how nice everyone is to me! On any other forum, i would have been hated on for my age, and for asking such questions. I wish i could stay active, but there wont be any real purpose since this is a WRX forum, and i wont have a WRX. Oh well, back on topic. I talked to my family, and they aggree that it would be wise to get a less powerful car as a first car, and then if i still want one, they will help me get one(if i still need help) for a graduation present.

I did do my research on these cars, and the Volkswagen has a very high resale value, but you guys were right, it has a history of being unreliable. I forgot to mention that i will be buying a new car. My plan is to use the car for about 5 years(unless i fall in love with it), then sell it, and use the money to buy my WRX. Who knows if my plan will be the same in 5 years, but that's the plan ATM. Thoughts?

EDIT: In the sentence, "My plan is to use the car for about 5 years(unless i fall in love with it), then sell it, and use the money to buy my WRX", i meant that my plan was this for ANY car, not just for the VW golf. Felt the need to clarify.

You could check out a Civic SI. I was going to check one but test drove an Evo X instead. The interior of the SI looks pretty good. Its not too powerful and has a great transmission. But for the price of a new one, you could buy a base WRX I believe..
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    I'm impressed by how nice everyone is to me! On any other forum, i would have been hated on for my age, and for asking such questions. I wish i could stay active, but there wont be any real purpose since this is a WRX forum, and i wont have a WRX. Oh well, back on topic. I talked to my family, and they aggree that it would be wise to get a less powerful car as a first car, and then if i still want one, they will help me get one(if i still need help) for a graduation present.

I did do my research on these cars, and the Volkswagen has a very high resale value, but you guys were right, it has a history of being unreliable. I forgot to mention that i will be buying a new car. My plan is to use the car for about 5 years(unless i fall in love with it), then sell it, and use the money to buy my WRX. Who knows if my plan will be the same in 5 years, but that's the plan ATM. Thoughts?
    That is a sweet deal, dude. Good plan. Except for the VW part. I still say Toyota. And stick shift. Learn that stick well before you jump into something crazy! Then, don't hesitate to jump on an STI!!

Seriously - great plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
    You could check out a Civic SI. I was going to check one but test drove an Evo X instead. The interior of the SI looks pretty good. Its not too powerful and has a great transmission. But for the price of a new one, you could buy a base WRX I believe..
    yeah, im trying to stay under $24,000 at the most. My family hasn't set that limit, its just a personal boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    That is a sweet deal, dude. Good plan. Except for the VW part. I still say Toyota. And stick shift. Learn that stick well before you jump into something crazy! Then, don't hesitate to jump on an STI!!

Seriously - great plan.
    Thanks, and i am getting a stick shift. Not sure on the VW golf yet, just throwing out ideas.

EDIT: sorry for double post!

I Support ClubWRX
    So are you looking at newer cars?

EDIT: Just re-read that post.

For newer cars under 24k....hmmmm. That's a tough one lol. Impreza Wagon would definitely be my choice, also you'd be welcome to stay around here without a WRX. We're a pretty open group and you don't seem to cause problems lol
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 03-30-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

mrd
    Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Thanks, and i am getting a stick shift. Not sure on the VW golf yet, just throwing out ideas.

EDIT: sorry for double post!
    If we're talking new car, I wouldn't think twice, it would be impreza hatch 2012. It is awd, clamed to be 36mpg, and after 5y. you would be able to trade it in and get wrx/sti.

Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    If we're talking new car, I wouldn't think twice, it would be impreza hatch 2012. It is awd, clamed to be 36mpg, and after 5y. you would be able to trade it in and get wrx/sti.
    Great point!

Sent via TapaTalk2 on my EVO4G
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I had a 2002 gti 1.8t as my first car, had a few problems, fixed it, sold it. Then found out problems only got worse with the new owner through a friend. I then bought a 2003 srt-4, loved it, worked on it, went as far as cracking the transmission open, but then found out the motor was about to blow (supposedly had been rebuilt 2k miles before i got it, some "rebuild" that is), so i got rid of it. And now i recently bought a '12 wrx.... all this while being 18 lol

and before anyone jumps the gun and starts criticizing, i have paid for all my cars myself. Yes, including the wrx which I'm paying off fairly quickly.

I agree with whoever said that it depends on the type of person btw, doesn't matter what car you drive, if your gonna do stupid **** then its inevitable

Honestly, what kind of driver do you think you are? Ask your parents, teachers, friends, etc. If you think you're going to be responsible and what not, then get the car. At the end of the day, it's your decision, or your parents, to get the car. If you want a WRX as bad as I think you do, then you'll regret your decision of not buying one. My girlfriend learned how to drive on her stepfathers restored and built Mustang. And now she's driving an Evo herself. She's always telling me she wants a Porsche 911 Turbo. She even says 911 like the emergency number..

It definitely depends on the person driving the car. As long as you're not a douchebag on the road then you'll be fine.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I agree, OP keep your perspective and open mind and you will go far in this world. I would agree with most of the crowd. VWs are not the most reliable vehicle to own. I am not a current subaru owner, but have been a lurker for over a year. As a current RSX owner i second the honda / toyota nomination. They are cheap to maintain and with a 4 door SI you can drive it for 10 years if things dont work out and not miss a beat. Plus they are very frugal on gas, fun to drive, and have a decent resale value. I also agree that an impreza is a great choice for any conditions. Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    you'd better come to the next tommyknockers meet mister lurker.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I know there's a bunch of VW hate, and I agree with what's been said, but you could also possibly look at GTI's if you're definitely getting a new car. I wouldn't ever recommend once from the early 2000's, but the new ones seem to have a lot of the reliability issues ironed out. It is a nice car that is pretty good on gas and certainly fun to drive, but stock they are definitely not as dangerous as a WRX.

You should start a list and go test drive. GTI, Civic SI, Impreza Hatch, Ford Focus, Hyundai Veloster. Drive em and see which one you like the most.

I do agree with the guys saying keep an open mind about the WRX, BUT, I thought I was a pretty good driver when I was 17 and I still got myself into trouble and wrecked it eventually. And in retrospect, I wasn't a very good driver. You do seem very level-headed for your age (old fart alert!) however, which I couldn't necessarily claim for myself. The other thing to consider though, if you are buying new, is that you aren't going to get a new WRX for under 24k.

Feel free to stick around the forum though, throughout your process. I'm pretty new around here too but there's a lot of good advice here and it is delivered in a friendly way. These guys know a lot more than just WRXs, and having a friendly wealth of car knowledge at your fingertips when you're trying to decide on your first car is something to take advantage of

Oh, and finally, since you are buying new and unfortunately statistics suggest that as a first time driver you are more likely to get into an accident, you may want to consider gap insurance depending on how much money you'll be putting down as a downpayment. I was in the middle of writing an explanation of that, but I gotta run. If you don't know what it is, I'm sure someone else can explain, or I will later on.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The VW Golf is a good looking car with great handling and a far better transmission and interior that any Subaru (in stock form). Its also a peppy 5-cylinder. My brother in law has a 2008 Golf with 140,000+ miles on it and its never skipped a beat. That said, it either seems like you get a really solid VW or a really crappy one so its a roll of the dice. I love my WRX, but would stronly consider a Golf in your situation.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.