new car, is a wrx right for me? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on new car, is a wrx right for me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DSfriscoe Thanks for the feedback. If a community of WRX enthusiasts persuades me to not get one, ...

Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. If a community of WRX enthusiasts persuades me to not get one, then i know it probably is for the best. I will check out some other safer cars, and once i get a few years of experience, i will probably return to the WRX! thanks for the support!
    You are making the right choice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback. If a community of WRX enthusiasts persuades me to not get one, then i know it probably is for the best. I will check out some other safer cars, and once i get a few years of experience, i will probably return to the WRX! thanks for the support!
    Glad to see you did your research The WRX is my fifth car. Not my first quick car, but definitely the fastest so far (and soon faster-est!) Good luck, I bet you'll be back at some point;-)
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

Thnk u 4 b3ing 16 nd not typing lyke dizz!!!!11!11

I got my wrx at 17 but it was my 4th car and I had already been driving for 2 years. Save up some more, get a few more years of seat time and then enjoy your subie. You'll appreciate it much more

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

4th car at 17? wow.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Welcome to the club.

Thnk u 4 b3ing 16 nd not typing lyke dizz!!!!11!11

I got my wrx at 17 but it was my 4th car and I had already been driving for 2 years. Save up some more, get a few more years of seat time and then enjoy your subie. You'll appreciate it much more
    Yeah, i hate it when people type like that. I didn't really take it into consideration on the fact that due to my limited experience, i would probably scratch it up ( or in your case, total it?).

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Seriously though, 2.5rs is lighter and should be reasonable to start with and a lot of fun still as you get better.

Yeah, i hate it when people type like that. I didn't really take it into consideration on the fact that due to my limited experience, i would probably scratch it up ( or in your case, total it?).
    I think she killed a few cones with it at autocross, but don't recall any accidents.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I applaud you.You seem to be the most sensible young man we have had on the forum in a while.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxgc View Post
    4th car at 17? wow.
    yup. my parents bought me my first car ($500 87 honda accord). fixed it up, sold it and just kept buying & selling cars and making profit. i pretty much kept each one for a year lol

( or in your case, total it?).
    nope. never been in a car accident! :knock on wood:

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Thanks for all the support guys. I have been looking at some other cars, and i want to run them by you to see if anyone has any experience with them, and can offer some advice. Im now looking at a VW golf or a subaru Impreza hatch (can you tell i like sporty hatches?). The VW golf is cheaper,and has better MPG, but the Impreza is AWD, and looks better. both are not very powerful(good for me), but are supposedly good cars. Any tips? thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    The Golf's MPG won't matter if it won't run. I no longer trust them. Twenty years ago I'd have driven a Golf or Polo across the continent. Now I wonder how any VW runs, even the taxis I use once in a while. Look at reliability records before money changes hands. Consumer Reports and other sources maintain such records.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

mrd
    Golf is excellent car, and young people love it. It is reliable german car. I say that all, because it is ecellent machine, but I don't like its sound and what we used to gosip about this car, that it doesn't have soul, like italian cars. .
    Therefore, I wote for subaru, as it is reliable, awd, to keep you on the road in all weather, and the most of all, it sounds soo good. You can tell, I drive only subi.
    Now, lets look at thechinal facts, awd will keep you on the road, no mather what, it will not smoke tires that easy, and it is safer. Extra plus you don't have to put chains, when you go on snow.

Choose one that you like beter, both of these are good cars.

Think about chains and snow. It is horrible to put chains when it is snowing.

I'm super impressed by sensibility of the OP and the community advice here. I would agree with the idea to get a reliable, run-it-into-the-ground Toyota or Honda first. Get a stick so you still feel like you're having fun with it. Personally, my first car was a 1980 Datsun longbed pickup for $500. From a long line of mechanics, it was no problem that there was more of the engine in the bed of the truck than under the hood and the brakes didn't work... I lowered it, painted it bright red, tinted the windows, and screwed around with the engine. I drove about 2mi to school every day, and I beat that thing into the ground - I think there were several times I found out I was running with absolutely no coolant in it at all!! And oil changes? I don't actually recall ever doing one... But it certainly wouldn't die.

Then I got a 2005 Toyota Matrix. If you have the money for something newer, I absolutely would recommend one of those. They're fun, you can tinker with it, parts and maintenance are crazy cheap and easy to find, and mine seriously was still running almost like new when I sold it a few weeks ago with 215,000 miles on it. They're ridiculously great for utility with the ability to fold down all the seats and have a hard plastic truck bed in the back, and there's plenty of room for bigger speakers, which I know you're gonna want, right? lol

I also built a 400HP 383 stroker motor in a 1971 Camaro between those two cars. I sold that shortly after building the engine with the recognition that I was going to kill myself in it. Seriously though don't get something too fast. Get something fun that you can be proud of, but not something dangerous. When the kid at your school with an SVT Cobra gets in a crazy accident that leaves somebody with a life-altering injury, you'll be thankful. I know I was.
    Last edited by etnpnys; 03-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Good post there.

My first car was an 80's Volvo 240. I thought it was pretty fast, because let's face it, any car is faster than a bike. I'll echo the above post and say that I don't recall ever changing the oil in that beast, and it just ran and ran and ran. Nothing broke on that car, except I'm fairly certain I took a new section of the door plastic trim off every time I got in and out. And when I inevitably had my new-driver accident, that thing kept me as safe as any 80's car possible could.

I walked away from that car with valuable experience as a driver, and no real injuries to either my body or my wallet.

That is the type of car you want to be looking for, imo. (Not that car literally, but something similar that is more contemporary.)
    Last edited by Calvinball; 03-30-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I would not trust the VW Golf. VW from 2001-07has had a bad report for reliability. Out of the two you mentioned the Subaru is better. I would also look at Honda fit or toyotas.

I Support ClubWRX
    My gf has a 2006 VW Jetta... it's at 100k, and still running. But has a main seal leak, and a CEL I can't seem to fix.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.