My intro - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on My intro within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Ingo And at this point I think it's time to start a new thread in builds about ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    And at this point I think it's time to start a new thread in builds about my parts list, eventual DP install and retune ;-)
    Fixed lol.

Actually I think this is the longest introduction thread by a non-female. They are pretty much fair game after now.

I got to fly in a Cessna once when I was a kid. Somehow the pilot, a friend of my dad's thought we were young and squeamish, when in fact we were seasoned roller-coaster addicts. Somehow they didn't communicate this to each other until we landed from an entirely boring flight.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bet that flight would not have been as boring if he did some of the exercises that are usually practiced, like stalls and tight turns and such. Those are fun!

the other issue of DP and re-tune just has to wait. Actually I'm quite happy with the car as is. Let me play with that for a bit, maybe next year we'll be going back to that. In the meantime I have to get the openport 2 and the SW, and then learn what I can do with that. Of course I'm not going to try tuning by myself, but pulling a copy of the map might be usefull. and then I still have to get winter wheels first. By then the wife will be asking for her subie, so it's going to habve to wait. the next concern then is just how long doeas such a souped up engine last? Or does that really depend on how it's being (ab-)used? I usually keep my cars for a very long time, and would like to make this one last also...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

And that's my very first AWD vehicle. . .

I Support ClubWRX
    I bet that flight would not have been as boring if he did some of the exercises that are usually practiced, like stalls and tight turns and such. Those are fun!
    Yeah, they informed us of how much fun we could have had later that night. At least he made the best pizza I have ever had still to this day.

the other issue of DP and re-tune just has to wait. Actually I'm quite happy with the car as is. Let me play with that for a bit, maybe next year we'll be going back to that. In the meantime I have to get the openport 2 and the SW, and then learn what I can do with that. Of course I'm not going to try tuning by myself, but pulling a copy of the map might be usefull. and then I still have to get winter wheels first. By then the wife will be asking for her subie, so it's going to habve to wait. the next concern then is just how long doeas such a souped up engine last? Or does that really depend on how it's being (ab-)used? I usually keep my cars for a very long time, and would like to make this one last also...
    Yeah, I more than understand. I've put modifications way on the back burner. Just some food for though though - with that large of a turbo and a FMIC being choked down with the two stock cats you are getting all of the extra lag, plus some extra, and only a small portion of the extra pull. I don't know how far they have it scaled back, but letting it go with a conservative tune that stays within reasonable power range and is knock free is possibly as healthy or maybe even healthier.

And that's my very first AWD vehicle. . .
    I almost bought into that too - went with a 280Z instead.

And once I tried running that F40 with rear wheel drive. Just remove the front drive shafts, worked fine as fas as diffs and so on. But the car was so overpowered it just slithered all over the place. Coudn't get the power to the road. With all drive shafts back in it became a lot more stable, but with a fresh charge on batt it will make 4 wheel slides, just easily controlled.

If I can find some money I might actually consider putting a smaller turbo in, reduce the lag and still have decent go... But that has to wait, as the budget is gone... and I'm still having to spend money for the Openport and winter wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, crap, I thought it was a 3000gt from the tiny pic. I never aspired to an F40 - must have been sweet!

If you do the work yourself with decent used parts, it should be a break even prospect or better.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    ...decent used parts, it should be a break even prospect or better.
    Would you buy a used turbo? How can you tell if it's any good?

I Support ClubWRX
    Would you buy a used turbo? How can you tell if it's any good?
    I have bought and sold them. Most people have good luck, re. they are removed in good condition because people are going in the other direction. Honestly though that isn't a ridiculously large one you have. The E85 tune # is well above where a tune would end on premium. An 18g isn't really smaller enough to waste your time.... so you end up pretty much back to stock looking for a VF52 and cash in trade for your 20g. With a VF52, your FMIC is a waste, and you could trade that for a much better than stock TMIC. Im' not sure whether they remove the front crash bar for those FMIC, but think so. So you would get that back but you have to keep your hood then.

Personally I would want a DP with any of the above. With that, the lag on your current setup would not be at all intolerable, and you would have much more top end vs. a 52.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    ... the lag on your current setup would not be at all intolerable, and you would have much more top end vs. a 52.
    OK, so bottom line I should stick with what I got and just get the darn downpipe and tune? I'm more looking for overall performance, not so much into going fast, just fast fast. You know, how fast will my car go fast. Top speed really doesn't matter much because there's no legal way to go anywhere close. Not like in Germany where there's at least still several stretches of Autobahn without speedlimits... I have to go there this summer, and I'd love to take my car along, just can't figure out how to fold it up that small...
    If I keep the car the way it is and just have the DP and tune will probably be way easier (and likely cheaper) than going all the way back to stock, right? How about live expectancy for the engine? I'd hate to have to take the thing apart to rebuild the engine, it would take me a whole year! (I did rebuild my JP GC V8, that was about 9 months... Garage occupied and crammed)

I Support ClubWRX
    You always increase your risk. They hold up very well though.

Just to keep things going, I'm ordering the Tectrix OP2 today.
    Yesterday I have downloaded Romraider and all the other files and programs that go with that. They also talk about examples for maps and logs for people to familiarize themselves with the software. I could not find any. Anybody have any idea where I might get some?
    Of course, once I got that all set up, I'd like to get my own logs, and a backup of my currently installed mapping...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo
    Just to keep things going, I'm ordering the Tectrix OP2 today.
    Yesterday I have downloaded Romraider and all the other files and programs that go with that. They also talk about examples for maps and logs for people to familiarize themselves with the software. I could not find any. Anybody have any idea where I might get some?
    Of course, once I got that all set up, I'd like to get my own logs, and a backup of my currently installed mapping...
    They have a "Base Maps" section on the forum, where users have submitted their own maps. You can download any of them, and view them in Romraider. You can also view your stock ROM once you save a copy, if there aren't any for your MY. As for logs, go through the Tuning Discussion section of their forum, where you'll see many user-submitted logs. There are also a few on here that people will upload.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    They have a "Base Maps" section on the forum, where users have submitted their own maps. . . people will upload.
    Hey, thanks!
    I guess I still haven't looked around enough right here (at home!)(DAHHH!). Thanks for pointing my this direction. I'll update as I have more...
    Last edited by Ingo; 04-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    There isn't anything to be afraid of or need to look at examples ahead of time with logging - mapping yes though. You cannot damage your ECU by logging. When it comes in, follow the basic instructions for a learning view and post up the screen shot. Check first that your IAM (DAM) is maxed out at 1.0. If it is less, post up and stop there. Otherwise, 2nd gear is fine to start, so you will top out ~60 (at least in my car) instead of for 3rd 85. From 2500 to redline and keep it mashed all the way. Don't log a bunch of other stuff that sounds like it would be interesting, it will just waste time and you will get less rows of data. Save a couple of logs first and look if everything you want is showing up. Then drive until you aren't heat soaked, somewhere safe, and hit it. You can upload to google docs and make it public.

Datalogging with Romraider:

Here are some logs you can browse. These all have some knock - you can see timing corrections at high rpm on the stage I map, and at mid range on the stock map. They can be dynamic corrections on the fly or stored as learned knock corrections. Also you can see boost (manifold pressure) and DAM (IAM) which is the global health parameter for the tune - it drops due to knock and pulls timing across the board, and eventually pulls boost if it is really bad. It is what happens if you get bad gas for example, or bad air leaks in the intake (usually visible as learned A/F corrections in learning view or logs), or a bad tune.

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Subaru's Knock Control Strategy Explained

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3W...Q1EtcGdXTGhNdw

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3W...dC1hOV81ZkxIUQ

OK, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at. I understand ignition advance, and Knock causes the opposite, as outlined in steps w/feedback /fine learning... But really, there's a whole lot to look at and some is not real easy to understand. It'll take some studying... (There is such a thing as information overload = TMI) and then I'll have to experiment with logging before I'll actually have someting I can present, so that's going to take some time... BTW, I'm certainly not going to try and make any changes to any installed map, not anytime soon if ever... We're stricly talking reading data out.
    The OP2 is on order. I also had some email traffic with Eric of torquedperormance. My car has a Blouch 20G-XT turbo. Currently it's bogged down with the cat. It needs the DP and is tuned for running with DP. He then has a tune for E85 that I might be interested in, but then I'll have to save the current map so I can get it back to 91 fuel when needed.
    So, where will I get that downpipe? Internet shop or is there some good local shop? I would like to get some decent quality, would stainless be better than mild steel? I've had good experiences with stainless before...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast