Newbie with a perplexing question... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Newbie with a perplexing question... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think it is more understandable that it was obvious when you were looking at it at the show, but ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it is more understandable that it was obvious when you were looking at it at the show, but when you came across the picture later the perspective threw you off. In passing it does look like a VW bug layout or something from that angle.

That STi isn't going to be too comfortable to shift with the console in front of the shifter though.

Either way, these are the best pics of the new chassis I have seen.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

These pics of the chassis are awesome, I wish I could see these in person

I Support ClubWRX
    That pic of the STI has been around for a while.It was showcased in this video.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The WRX STI chassis pic posted in #30 above I found in Google Images. Evidently that big bogacious boxer engine is a 4-cylinder. And it looks very much like the one I saw at the Bangkok Motor Show. Now, I'm kicking myself for not getting more info on that beast in Bangkok. Bottom line is -- in all my experience with mechanical toys, I have to say Subaru is one righteous company that knows how to kick ass in style. To me, from a high-quality mechanical point of view, they make BMW and Benz look rather pathetic. Just my opinion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually the engine is surprisingly compact for the power it delivers. It has to be in order to work with Subaru's design philosophy of symmetrical all wheel drive. In order to have the whole drivetrain in-line, the engine must be forward of the front wheels, and is therefore as compact as possible, so the overhang isn't even more monstrous than it already is. This sort of makes Subarus "reverse Porsches" in a way. This layout also lends itself to understeer, since there's a fair about of weight forward of the front wheels.

I think you're in the minority as far as "kick ass style" goes, haha. Many people think Subarus are pretty ugly, myself included to some extent, but being an engineer, I have a much greater eye for good mechanical design, and that's why I love my WRX. Everytime I work on it, I'm amazed at how well thought out everything is (except for the uppipe, whose location was crafted by Beelzebub for the torment and skinned knuckles of would-be home mechanics everywhere...)
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Rambo, I'm not an engineer, but I do have an eye for good mechanical design. That's what I meant by Subaru's "kick-ass style." Sheet metal is skin deep but superior engineering goes to the bone... hehehe. A short story about the significance of superior engineering: I was never that impressed with BMW, but maybe due to their raging popularity and overblown mystique, in 2003 in Japan when I came across a 5-yr-old silver 318i coupe (without a scratch) for $5,000, I bought it. I drove it a year, but in spite of all the turned heads, I was not that impressed. I sold it and bought a 5-yr-old Honda Odyssey. When driving the Odyssey I could not help but notice the contrast. The Odyssey had more power, quicker acceleration, more precise steering, better ride, better cornering, and fuel consumption was half that of the 318i. I was at a loss to find something (anything) about the BMW that was superior to the Honda -- there had to be something about the Bimmer that could be considered above that of the Honda. Finally, I came up with only one -- the badge on the hood --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bmw_badge.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	103384

...deserved or not, it seems to give folks a lot of excitement. And, thanks to that, when I sold the Bimmer I actually made a $500 profit.
    Last edited by Randor707; 03-22-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123