Mirra's old STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mirra's old STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm not sure how many of you out there are familiar with Dave Mirra. He was once upon a time ...

Mirra's old STI

I'm not sure how many of you out there are familiar with Dave Mirra. He was once upon a time BMX king and now quietly resides amongst the rally car racers over at Subaru. Anyway... He's a good friend of mine and I recently purchased his '08 Sti off of him. I'm brand new to the Subaru world and also to the nice car world in general. The car has 23k miles on it. And a recently replaced motor with less than 4k miles. I wouldn't say it was babied but it was looked after. He had some mods done to it but after Subaru replaced the motor (he blew it out rallying in some snow up in NY) they said they were going to put everything back to normal. I've been told my friends that the first thing I should do is invest in some sort of different exhaust. Any suggestions out there? I've got the AccessPort already and other than that... don't know what else to do with it. I think my biggest concern right now is to get different tires as the ones on there are his snow tires from when it was in NY. They definitely don't feel as smooth as I would like especially at 100+. Again... any suggestions on semi affordable good tires?

Again... I'm brand new to the car world and would happily take advice from anyone willing to give some. Advice, comments, what you think of the pictures or anything. Let me know what you think! I very much appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subie1.jpg   Subie2.jpg   Subie3.jpg  
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-16-2012 at 06:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations.

What sort of exhaust are you looking for?Full turboback or catback or axleback?

Tires depend on whether you want summers or all-weathers.

I'm sorry for your missus.Dupuytren's contracture can be hard to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbmx View Post
    . The car has 23k miles on it. And a recently replaced motor with less than 4k miles.
    Mirra's car? I can see that happening
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Haha.... yea he wasn't ashamed of it. He knows how to beat on a car. But it's all in good fun right?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as exhaust. I guess something that's most practical. I'm not trying to get super mod'ed out or anything. I just would like something that gives it a little more bang for a decent price. Honestly I don't know the difference between catback or axleback.... any significant things I should know?

The tires I'm looking for are most definitely going to be summer tires. I live in North Carolina and we rarely get snow or anything resembling it. The tires I have on it now are very obviously winter tires and I need to get them replaced asap. Just need the funds first.

Thanks for your reply!

Flat black is cool. I likes it a lot.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Warranty Claims Department:

Dave: "Yeah, I finally blew that motor"

Claims Rep.: "What took you so long - We'll fix you up no problem."
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Haha. Yea I'm certain it went something like that. Hooked up to say the least. Bummer was they had to put everything back to stock. And thanks for the flat black comment. It's one of my favorite parts for sure

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the new car! You're going to love it. Always wanted to do a matte black car. Looks awesome. If you're sure that Subaru put the car back to stock and you have the AP, I'm assuming you have reflashed the ecu to a Stage I tune?

Two schools of thoughts here. Some upgrade the handling of the car first, then go to engine components. Some are just all about go-fast bits.

IMO, since you already have the AccessPort, you might as well go to Cobb Stage II, which is a downpipe with high flow cat and the ECU reflash with the AP. Brand-wise, I'd recommend Invidia. A lot of people like Cobb's DP as well but I personally can't justify the price. As far as a catback exhaust, you don't need one per say as it won't contribute to HP gains, just the sound. TurboXS, Invidia and Cobb again are great options for the catback.

Tire-wise, it depends on what you're looking to do. A lot of people buy dedicated steel wheels and snow tires and have another set, possibly the OEM wheels, with summer tires on. That's going to give you the best of both worlds. For summers, I've heard a lot of positive reviews on the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs. I'm not much of a help if you want to go with All-Seasons because I've always had two sets of wheels and tires. In NC, you might be able to get away with just a set of wheels with Summer tires and forget about the Winter tires.

Other things to think about for handling would be a custom alignment, and then you can start looking into upgraded swaybars and endlinks. I'm not familiar with the springs and dampers on the '08 STi but that might be worth looking into upgrading also. There's also a ton of bushings that can firm things up in the suspension. Those can be done relatively cheaply as well.

Upgraded shifter bushings and short shifter are also a common mod that's done early in the process for pretty cheap. Kartboy is the brand I'd recommend.

The list goes on and on and on. It's a sick, sick, addiction.

Lots to think about, I know, but the good news is that you've come to the right forum for friendly advice. Be careful on some of the other sites (NASIOC for example) because a lot of users don't take kindly to noobs. Basically do some searching and reading before asking questions and you'll be fine. There's lots of great information out there for new Subaru owners, though.

Good luck with the new car and happy modding! It'll get ahold of you quick if you're not careful.
    Last edited by Ying; 03-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and Congrats.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

I met Dave at a bar in Syracuse a few years ago when I was setting up for the State Fair. Seemed like a nice guy...

I removed the picture of someone flipping the camera off at the gas station (please keep things work-/family-safe). Unfortunately, there was a misfire and another picture got removed as well (apologies).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The flat black looks like pure sex. I like it a lot and oh congrats on the car.
    2011 WRX 345WHP/398WTQ E85
    My Build: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...uild-date.html

Thank you for the advice. I'm printing out your response and will take it all into consideration during my learning process! Much appreciated. I have the short shifter installed (forgot to mention that) and I talked to him today and apparently he has some custom springs in the suspension. It's a little lower than normal. Once I get some funds I plan to get new tires (most likely the ones you suggested) and then eventually that exhaust as well. Btw yes... I've flashed to the appropriate tune via the AP. Thanks again!

And to Dave being a nice guy... That is definitely the case. Been friends with him for years and he's always been a stand up fellow. My apologies about the picture as well. I knew about that originally but then forgot about it when I posted it. No worries on the removal. Thanks for the comments! And the congrats. I like this forum a lot. Especially being a newbie and all.

Nice pick up and flat black already
    Congrats and welcome
    2012 DGM WRX Hatch // SPT CBE // Cobb AP Stage 1 // 35% tint

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbmx
    My apologies about the picture as well. I knew about that originally but then forgot about it when I posted it. No worries on the removal.
    I did accidentally delete a second image, not just the middle finger one. If you can find the other picture, rehost it...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome ...very nice congrats on the scooby purchase

pics by me from stpr 2011

orig thread: STPR 2011 Photos

ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast