hissing noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on hissing noise within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am a new WRX owner and have put 20K miles on my 2011 wagon. Recently I maxed it out ...

hissing noise

I am a new WRX owner and have put 20K miles on my 2011 wagon. Recently I maxed it out running with a CTS-V and now I have a loud hissing noise during boost. I have taken it to 2 dealers and both say that's a "normal" sound coming from the turbo. I am not crazy or stupid, this noise was NOT present for the first 20K. I suspect an exhaust leak but am not sure. Anyone know what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspect intercooler hoses or the unit itself.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks, I told the tech it sounded to me like it was coming from the BOV side of the intercooler but they insisted it wasn't. I suspect they are using the usual tactics to avoid warranty work. I guess I have to wait until it gets worse before they will admit a problem...

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't wait on something that could be harmful. Take a tech for a ride and let him hear the noise while you're there. Then get him into a 2012 on the lot and see if he can recreate it in a new car.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Don't wait on something that could be harmful. Take a tech for a ride and let him hear the noise while you're there. Then get him into a 2012 on the lot and see if he can recreate it in a new car.
    Thanks for the advice. I found the right tech and it was a loose hose near the intercooler.

::facepalm:: for lazy techs.... good to hear you got it fixed

Let us hope they were just "lazy" LOL.

the intercooler/throttlebody hose is notorious for leaks on this design. It was bad on the lgt's and its still bad on our wrx's. AVO makes a decent replacement if you want to stick with the factory intercooler.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    the intercooler/throttlebody hose is notorious for leaks on this design. It was bad on the lgt's and its still bad on our wrx's. AVO makes a decent replacement if you want to stick with the factory intercooler.
    Actually I want to go with a larger top mount in the near future but have other mods to complete first.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.