hissing noise

This is a discussion on hissing noise within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am a new WRX owner and have put 20K miles on my 2011 wagon. Recently I maxed it out ...

hissing noise

I am a new WRX owner and have put 20K miles on my 2011 wagon. Recently I maxed it out running with a CTS-V and now I have a loud hissing noise during boost. I have taken it to 2 dealers and both say that's a "normal" sound coming from the turbo. I am not crazy or stupid, this noise was NOT present for the first 20K. I suspect an exhaust leak but am not sure. Anyone know what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspect intercooler hoses or the unit itself.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks, I told the tech it sounded to me like it was coming from the BOV side of the intercooler but they insisted it wasn't. I suspect they are using the usual tactics to avoid warranty work. I guess I have to wait until it gets worse before they will admit a problem...

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't wait on something that could be harmful. Take a tech for a ride and let him hear the noise while you're there. Then get him into a 2012 on the lot and see if he can recreate it in a new car.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Don't wait on something that could be harmful. Take a tech for a ride and let him hear the noise while you're there. Then get him into a 2012 on the lot and see if he can recreate it in a new car.
    Thanks for the advice. I found the right tech and it was a loose hose near the intercooler.

::facepalm:: for lazy techs.... good to hear you got it fixed

Let us hope they were just "lazy" LOL.

the intercooler/throttlebody hose is notorious for leaks on this design. It was bad on the lgt's and its still bad on our wrx's. AVO makes a decent replacement if you want to stick with the factory intercooler.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    the intercooler/throttlebody hose is notorious for leaks on this design. It was bad on the lgt's and its still bad on our wrx's. AVO makes a decent replacement if you want to stick with the factory intercooler.
    Actually I want to go with a larger top mount in the near future but have other mods to complete first.