Newbie Hooooooooo!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie Hooooooooo! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ...not THAT kind of Ho...geez guys Hi everyone! My name's Marc and I hail from up here in the great ...

Newbie Hooooooooo!

...not THAT kind of Ho...geez guys

Hi everyone! My name's Marc and I hail from up here in the great PNW. I'm one of those "interested but not committed" guys. I don't own a WRX just yet but I'm in negotiations with the wife. haha Right now we have a 2011 Subaru Forester (NA) and a crap-box 1989 Toyota Corolla commuter.

The commuter is on its last legs, probably wont last more than 6-9 months or so. My wife wants to replace it with a mega-fuel efficient economy car (think Versa or Fit) since I'm commuting about 65 miles a day but I'm trying to straddle the line between fuel efficient and sporty. We had to sell my toy a few years back (1989 5.0 Mustang Hatch) to pay off some bills with the understanding I could get something else down the line when we could afford it. Part of my argument with the WRX is that not only does it have DECENT mileage but it also fits the kids AND its sporty/fun so we wouldn’t have to buy an all out toy for me like we talked about (well at least for for a WHILE anyway ).

We are of course on a budget here and can't really spend more than $12-13k. I was checking out the local WRX's and was able to find a few 2003-2005 in our price range. My question is are there any production years to avoid? If so which ones any why? I'm not picky on the sedan vs. the hatchback or even the color. My only real requirement is that its a 5-spd, I like to row my own gears

I found a reputable dealership in Portland that specializes in Subaru's that had some great deals, but there's a catch. They have a few WRX's in the $8,900-$9700 range but they all have salvage titles for various reasons (Theft recovery, blown motor, etc.). They do all repair and body work at the dealership and the cars LOOK like they are in great shape. Is it worth taking a risk for such a good price?

Like this one here had a blown motor but it was replaced with a used power plant with only 73k miles. This seems like a safe bet with the low mileage motor but it seems like I'm overlooking something...what do you guys think?

2005 Used Subaru Impreza WRX at Silverline Automotive Inc. Serving PORTLAND, OR, IID 8144237

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would avoid "tuner" or "enthusiast" owners and owners fond of imitation or "aftermarket" parts.

Get the newest car you can provided it has a full service history in writing, absolutely no modifications, and authentic parts used throughout according to the factory service schedule.

Your budget should buy you a clean example with known history and no major events or spotted past.

Opinions vary; these points are just mine.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think it'd be hit or miss on reconstructed and salvaged titles and such. Find out the reputation for that place...search to high hell about them to find out how others have fared. What kinds of warranty are they offering, if any?

But even to that end...I personally wouldn't buy something that was destroyed and then put back together. As SD above said...wait til you find something with 1 or 2 owners at most, completely stock, great service history documentation, and so on. They exist, you just have to be patient, and that's the key. Other than that, there's no year in particular you need to avoid...they are all pretty reliable years really that will take care of you if you take care of it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I KNOW it's a bad idea to get something with a tarnished title but I'm feeling antsy about getting my hands on one of these bad boy's. Patients is something you'd think I have learned in my 34 years but apparently not :P haha I just want to get as much as possible for my budget as I will most likely not be modding the car once I get it. It's SUPPOSE to be a family commuter after all, not my plaything. I doubt I would be able to talk my wife into budgeting in suspension, wheel/tire, and turbo upgrades :eyeroll:

I'm with these guys, with a budget of 12k you should be able to take your time and find a car that you won't have to worry about. Salvage titles are so hit or miss...personally I would never consider it. It could be fine, or it could become a huge paperweight. You really never know, even with a place that specializes in fixing up salvages.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

When pitching the car to the wife, make sure to explain the safety of 4wd. Don't get an econobox. You only live once.

I would avoid a salvaged title. I bought one when I was in my 20s, and although I didn't have any problems with the car, it was impossible to sell.

When I was in the market for a second STI almost 2 years ago, I waited. I had a car that would last me longer, so if I was going to search for exactly what I wanted, I would wait for exactly what I wanted. I wasn't going to just jump into the first thing I found...month and a half+ of searching and waiting, a 2005 WRB STI popped up at a dealer...original owner traded it in on a brand new 2010 STI...every single oil change was documented. Came with winter wheels/tires...beautiful shape...and was in my budget. Patience pays off.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Damn you all and your level-headedness! hahaha Well no matter what the FIRST hurtle is convincing the wife that a WRX will fill our needs. That's an uphill battle but I think its winnable. We got the 2011 Forester last Spring and my wife LOVES it (I rarely get to drive it) so selling the Subaru brand to her is a non-issue. Its passing up the super fuel economy and the safety-net of a factory warranty for something older that has substantially less MPG that’s the problem. From the perspective of maintenance what can I expect to be replacing/fixing at the various mileage milestones (30k, 60k, 75k, 100k, etc. etc.) I just want to know what to ask about as far as maintenance when I'm looking at the used cars. Any tell-tale signs of wear I should be looking for?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.