needs major schooling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on needs major schooling within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all. First and foremost I unfortunately don't own any subaru.:-( but I am looking into buying the drivetrain from ...

needs major schooling

Hello all. First and foremost I unfortunately don't own any subaru.:-( but I am looking into buying the drivetrain from one and putting it into my car. Couple reasons, I have always loved the subaru sti, my drivetrain is almost as lame as a metro and I really want it in my car, and finally insurance for me for an sti is $200+. So a few questions. What would be the most best for the buck to get the drivetrain? I have heard that you can take the 2.5l from the forester/imprezza and throw it in and get the sti bolt on parts? Is that true? I don't know anything about these cars or engines so any and all help would be amazingly helpful! Finally I heard that they have released a automatic for the sti and heard its pretty kick ass is that true I heard all sti were manual plus I think I would like the sti with the adjustable awd. Please educate me. Thanks everyone for all the input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It would be really helpful if you started by listing the car you want to put it into.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Oh sorry 08 chevy Aveo hatchback.

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy a WRX.

That type of swap isn't even feasible IMO.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

What isn't even feasible? Imo?

IMO = In my opinion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Trying to fit the entire drivetrain into a very small Aveo will not work. At least not without a lot of money and patience. It isn't a good idea, you can buy a used WRX and be in a much better position then going the route you are talking about.

IMO=In my opinion

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Ok but why I looked and took some measurements I think with a different driveshaft from extension housing to rear diff is 2 inches 2 long took the fuel tank out anyways as I put in a fuel cell in the back of the vehicle. Could slice out area for rear tire to make room for rear diff your engine is already smaller in size then mine junker and already have dome area cut out for tranny and driveshaft as they ran the exhaust through there I will just reroute. I figured that would be easiest going with the wrx. Another question probably a stupid one....has anyone bored and stroked theirs to a 2.6L if so was their more cons then pros?

I Support ClubWRX
    Ambitious. I used to suffer from that sort of thing, then life got in the way.

Considered a motor behind you, where the rear seats used to be? You're gutting an Aveo anyway, but why not keep the steering and such as is? Seems no less realistic than your full WRX proposal I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ya I originally was looking into the old nettle but since I wanna rally it I want it to have quite alot of power and keep the sleeper look and I like awd vs front or rear easier to control and more power plus its a hatch I want to hear the person next to me. Ha ha hs

Know what, I'm gonna entertain you. Because I it would be a sweet sleeper to put an STI drivetrain in a ****ty Aveo. No offense.

1st thing, its gonna be a major money pit. MAJOR costs in fab work required.
    #2 Yes the STI has a FF layout, but this is with a Boxer engine.
    You have a inline 4 transversely mount FWD Aveo. Notice how far the front end of an Impreza extends after the front wheels. Thats the engine.
    Maybe use an Evo drivetrain?
    #3 You lose cabin space because of the drive shaft. And that sucks.

Get bang-for-buck way of getting the drivetrain? Off a crashed STI.
    Typically, an USDM STi features an EJ257(7 makes it an STi engine) engine mated to 6 speed manual transmission with a Drivers Control Center Differential(DCCD) AUS and JDM have a 4 speed slushbox, NOT badass in anyway. Subaru autos do have a torque split controller in the TCU.

You can, infact mate a forester/impreza tranny(manual or auto) and rear differential. But you will probably break the transmission if not driven VERY conservatively.

All off the top of my head. Feel free to correct me if anyone spots anything off.

Good luck man. But if you do manage to do it, I call the first test drive.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McGrinnan View Post
    Ok but why I looked and took some measurements I think with a different driveshaft from extension housing to rear diff is 2 inches 2 long took the fuel tank out anyways as I put in a fuel cell in the back of the vehicle. Could slice out area for rear tire to make room for rear diff your engine is already smaller in size then mine junker and already have dome area cut out for tranny and driveshaft as they ran the exhaust through there I will just reroute. I figured that would be easiest going with the wrx. Another question probably a stupid one....has anyone bored and stroked theirs to a 2.6L if so was their more cons then pros?
    Shoving a flat 4 engine into something that wasn't even REMOTELY designed for it is going to take a lot more work than just mounting up the diffs and routing the exhaust. You're talking about extending the front of the vehicle to keep the AWD in tact, since the entire engine sits in front of the center line of the front wheels on the WRX, and looking at the Aveo, it isn't even close to having the amount of room you would need. You may be able to do RWD only, but a TMIC is out of the question, and an FMIC might not be feasable without, again, extending the front of the vehicle, which leaves you with a non-turbo boxer engine that won't be much better than just modifying what you already have.

By the end of it, the suspension will be all messed up because the geometry will be all thrown off, you'll have to fab up a crossmember, somehow extend the vehicle safely, and finally somehow get the state to recognize the car as anything but an offroad only vehicle. In my opinion this isn't even remotely feasible. I admire your ambition, but there is a lot more work associated with this than most people realize.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Okay so is this for a daily driver or a race car?

It sounds like you plan on gutting the car completely. If that is the case then put whatever you want in it lol. I thought you wanted to do this in your everyday car.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    It's even less realistic to think a car like that would pass tech. If it did, frankly, I'd not even spectate at the rally.

Contact the folks that make Subaru powered sand rails, they will have engine control solutions and bits you'll need to mount the motor onto something or other of a cage or cradle you'll have to fashion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast