Heart vs Head
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Heart vs Head within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, Iíve been lurking in the forums for a few months now, and want to finally get into a ...

Heart vs Head

Hi All,

Iíve been lurking in the forums for a few months now, and want to finally get into a WRX. Iíve never been much of a performance car personÖI had never even heard of a WRX until I got married a few years back. My wifeís 2 dream cars were a WRX or a Nissan Xterra. Well, I owned an Xterra, so she married into 1 of the 2 cars. She now drives the Xterra to tote around the kids, while I inherited her POS í97 Jetta as my daily driverÖbroken AC, Stereo and all.

I first saw a WRX up close at a car expo in Jan 2011 and fell in love. We talked about paying down some debt and possibly getting into a WRX later that year. Needless to say, over a year later, Iím still in the Jetta. I'd like to be rid of the Jetta before registration comes due again this Sep.

My heart is telling me to bite the bullet and just get a new WRX (í12 WRX Premium Sedan DGM).
    My head is saying, all I really need is a reliable economic daily driver to get me to work and back (Ď08+ generic compact).

Has anyone else struggled in their decision process with practicality vs. performance when purchasing their WRX. Any regrets after the purchase? Should I just take the middle ground and find a good used WRX? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Peugeot ran an ad campaign a while back with the slogan, If you want something sensible, buy an anorak.

That said, the Civic or Corolla make a lot more sense than the Impreza.

Your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting, my fiance drives an Xterra and I have the WRX!

I came from driving a 94 Integra and it got 33 MPGs. Honestly I don't miss it. I still get 24 MPG's in the WRX and have a load more fun. I wouldn't go back to driving an "economy" car anytime in the near future.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I currently drive a 98 v6 accord. I probably get around 20-25 mpg.

You really have to weigh out your options. Do you need the AWD? Do you do more city or highway driving?

My daily commute is 5 miles to and from work(city). Which is not bad at all. So i do not drive much which is why a WRX is cool for me.

lol - Thanks for the insight....though I just had to Google both Peugeot, and Anorak.

I Support ClubWRX
    Head > Anything

Wait...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

mines on order and im still going back and forth ....part of me is like ok get something normal like a civic or focus
    (just sold my 09 focus ) and drive back and forth to work and be like everyone else.....or......get my dream car and say i did it .....im going to go for it and take the plunge...worse case they hold great resale ...i think im going to be going back in forth in my head untill i hold the keys

Quote Originally Posted by killpsibot View Post
    mines on order and im still going back and forth ....part of me is like ok get something normal like a civic or focus
    (just sold my 09 focus ) and drive back and forth to work and be like everyone else.....or......get my dream car and say i did it .....im going to go for it and take the plunge...worse case they hold great resale ...i think im going to be going back in forth in my head untill i hold the keys
    haha im in the same boat. i ordered the car, but im fighting with myself to see if i really need it or not. i was looking at an accord before the WRX. i realized, im still young why not get something fun to drive.

My GF's mom had a '97 Jetta. I feel for you man.

I was in the same situation, looking at the practical non-smilee-faced Mazda3 wagons and the fun 04-07 WRX wagon.
    Student, part time job barely enough to make payments and eat.
    I ended up getting my 2005 WRX wagon with a 2 year 40k mile warranty and 2 year free oil change for a grand less than a used Mazda3 with no warranty. Same year. These cars depreciate real fast, was good for me.

My old civic got 28 MPG, thats how heavy footed I was, so 22-23 MPG was stomach-able. I just budgeted more sensibility while Subie got premium gas.

I dun know about you but, I love driving. I can't stand driving a bulky SUV that can't corner. But since you said you were never the performance car guy and never mentioned driving the WRX.
    DRIVE THE WRX BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.
    Its not anything like a plush SUV and requires more driving effort compared to say a Corolla/Civic

everytime i start to second guess myself i order parts for the car..... it makes me feel better.......i would rather buy it and mybe regret it then to not buy it and always say i should have got it

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Peugeot ran an ad campaign a while back with the slogan, If you want something sensible, buy an anorak.

That said, the Civic or Corolla make a lot more sense than the Impreza.

Your call.
    So not true, the new Impreza gets 36mpg with awd and it starts at less than 19k! That blows away any Civic or Corolla. With that said, BUY THE WRX and don't look back!

I Support ClubWRX
    Anyone here getting 36 mpg?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    So not true, the new Impreza gets 36mpg with awd and it starts at less than 19k! That blows away any Civic or Corolla. With that said, BUY THE WRX and don't look back!
    you live on mars? the 2012 IMPREZA is supposedly listed near 36mpg.

The WRX is rated at 18.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    To be fair, SD's original quote did say Impreza not WRX....
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.