Just bought 05 wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just bought 05 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey whats up guys I just joined this forum and had some questions if anyone can help. I just bought ...

ELH

Just bought 05 wrx

Hey whats up guys I just joined this forum and had some questions if anyone can help.

I just bought an 05 wrx with 90k miles on it. Dealership wanted 10995 fo it and KBB has it at 13995 if in excellent condition. I took it for a test drive and loved it. Moved great engine sounded good. Looked at the carfax and all was good. Serviced at the subaru dealership every 3 months or so and no accidents. Had fluids changed and I took it today for 10995. I love the car. Any tips on things to do regularly to make sure i get another 50k out of this car if not more?? How many miles does a well maintained 05 wrx usually go? Im not racing it just to and from work and the beach or whatever. What can I purchase and add to the vehicle for even better performance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, seems like you got a good deal on it then. Im sure one of the guys here can help you with your questions
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    check that carfax and make sure the maintenance record has a timing belt change recorded. If not, get one soon....if so, normal standard maintenance should grant you another 50K to 100K without too much trouble.

For performance adding mods, there are many. However, first, since it is a 90K mile car and all....and you want it to last, I would get a leakdown and compression test done on the car before modding it....to determine the health of the engine before you start adding power. This will be an indicator of how much the engine is warn, so you can choose how much more stress you want to put on the internals with your mods.

If the car was treated as well as the carfax seems to show, you could add quite a bit of performance and still get 50K out of it. Ig the block and internals are more warn, you would want to go more mild on the mods to retain the longevity.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

ELH
    The carfax doesnt say. All it says is vehicle was serviced At IRA subaru. But like I said it was there every 3 months but it doesnt say what was done on it I dont know why. The mehcanic at the dealership I bought it from said it looked like it had been changed but he could be full of crap and just wanted to get the car out of the garage. I looked up timing belts and I can get one for 48 bucks at autozone. You think I can change it myself?

You could if you're really careful. or you can just go to the dealership with the VIN and ask for the service records.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    or you can just go to the dealership with the VIN and ask for the service records.
    Yeah, that.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself, but it is a bit of work. And I would recommend against Autozone for the part. I would go with either OEM Subaru (Mitsuboshi) or a gates belt only.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ELH View Post
    The carfax doesnt say. All it says is vehicle was serviced At IRA subaru. But like I said it was there every 3 months but it doesnt say what was done on it I dont know why. The mehcanic at the dealership I bought it from said it looked like it had been changed but he could be full of crap and just wanted to get the car out of the garage. I looked up timing belts and I can get one for 48 bucks at autozone. You think I can change it myself?
    Buy a timing belt from Gates or Subaru.

There is a DIY thread on this forum, have a look and see.

The timing belt is due at 105K.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ELH
    Okay Ill check out the other prices and see. Chances are the vehicle hasnt had the timing belt changed. I really hope the spark plugs were changed at 60k. Ill call subaru in the morning and get the records from them. Can anyone give me an estimate on the cost to have a timing belt changed???

ELH
    I just checked with a buddy of mine who knows cars pretty well and I saw the timing belt it is a gates timing belt and doesnt look old at all. In fact the writing on the belt doesnt look faded even a little bit. The belt itself was still pretty ridget and wasn't smooth at all

ELH

Timing belt pic

Guys take a look at the belt. good shape right? Wouldn't it also be a subaru belt not gates if it hadn't been changed?

I Support ClubWRX
    If it says gates and the writing is clear I would think the belt has been changed.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    But why would a dealer use a Gares belt? I think their belts would be made by gates but not labeled as such, but am unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by ELH View Post
    Guys take a look at the belt. good shape right? Wouldn't it also be a subaru belt not gates if it hadn't been changed?

Thats definitely not your timing belt. You have to remove your radiator and crank pully to even get to your timing belt gaurd, then you must remove it and shazaam there is your timing belt, oil pump, water pump, tensioner and all the idlers and cam gears. So for you buddy that knows cars well..... tell him he is a jack ass

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trahealee8 View Post
    Thats definitely not your timing belt. You have to remove your radiator and crank pully to even get to your timing belt gaurd, then you must remove it and shazaam there is your timing belt, oil pump, water pump, tensioner and all the idlers and cam gears. So for you buddy that knows cars well..... tell him he is a jack ass
    Yep, those are your accessory belts.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Doh! Yes, for one the timing belt is toothed. Hah, slipped by me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.