Need Advice On New 12 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Advice On New 12 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I've enjoyed reading your forums for a few weeks now and I hope you guys can answer some ...

I Support ClubWRX

Need Advice On New 12 WRX

Hello everyone, I've enjoyed reading your forums for a few weeks now and I hope you guys can answer some questions for me. First, let me tell you I'm currently driving a 05 4runner w/ only 37k on her. I bought her new and have enjoyed driving it but I'm looking for something a bit newer and more fun to drive. Today I went and looked at 2 models ( both 5 door) a WRX premium and an STI. The guys at Vegas Subaru were awesome and really took their time explaining the car to me. The salesman was steering me towards the WRX premium and SBT exhaust and upgrade the suspension. My driving foolishly days are well behind me. I'm 41 so yeah I'm not looking to go mod crazy..more of a daily driver w/ some grinning from time to time. Questions are..
    1) Will I regret not going for the STI in the long run? I'm guessing I'd do the same mods to an STI as well
    2) As per a daily driver you guys think the WRX is a better deal for me?
    3) Price. I'm going back tomorrow around noon to test drive...any advice or things I should ask for?
    4) Sunroof..can't figure out why it's not an option for the STI 5 door

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    buy the sti
    no
    dont be afraid to offer invoice they work for you, not the other way around if that dealer wont deal, another will
    doesnt the sti limited have one?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for the fast reply! According to them the "limited" is the sedan and does come w/ the sunroof but the 5 door does not(sti). I actually prefer the look of the 5 door so the sunroof I guess won't be an option if I go w/ the STI. I'll post some pics of the cars tomorrow when I go for the test drives.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    buy the sti
    no
    dont be afraid to offer invoice they work for you, not the other way around if that dealer wont deal, another will
    doesnt the sti limited have one?
    I'm 99% sure you can only get the STi limited in a sedan but the 5 door comes standard with BBS wheels.

I Support ClubWRX
    yup, your right only in sedan

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by carnevino View Post
    Hello everyone, I've enjoyed reading your forums for a few weeks now and I hope you guys can answer some questions for me. First, let me tell you I'm currently driving a 05 4runner w/ only 37k on her. I bought her new and have enjoyed driving it but I'm looking for something a bit newer and more fun to drive. Today I went and looked at 2 models ( both 5 door) a WRX premium and an STI. The guys at Vegas Subaru were awesome and really took their time explaining the car to me. The salesman was steering me towards the WRX premium and SBT exhaust and upgrade the suspension. My driving foolishly days are well behind me. I'm 41 so yeah I'm not looking to go mod crazy..more of a daily driver w/ some grinning from time to time. Questions are..
    1) Will I regret not going for the STI in the long run? I'm guessing I'd do the same mods to an STI as well
    2) As per a daily driver you guys think the WRX is a better deal for me?
    3) Price. I'm going back tomorrow around noon to test drive...any advice or things I should ask for?
    4) Sunroof..can't figure out why it's not an option for the STI 5 door

Thanks for your help.
    Personally, I'd always suggest buying the STi over the WRX if you can comfortably afford the extra cost of ownership. It's a better car with stronger parts and even if you don't use the STi to it's full potential you will still get more money back out of it down the road.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just got back from the test drive (WRX) and I'm pretty much sold on it or the STI they have on the floor. They are a bit hesitant on allowing test drives on the STI4 b44u44t4444 I'm pretty sure they will do it for me if I really am serious about the car and not the WRX. Anyways, I still have a few questions I'm sure you guys can help me out with. Stereo/nav unit. You guys recommend the Subaru model or go w/ an aftermarket like from Crutchfield ( they have a nice looking Kenwood for around 8 bills ). They gave me a price on the SBT exhaust for 1k installed, so I'm pretty sure that's a fair deal but still want to get your opinions. Sticker is 32,700 and they took off 1000$ & threw in full tint ( any % I want ). This also includes 60k warranty and lifetime oil changes ( although I might be moving from Vegas to Napa Valley for a few years for my job so this would be mute ). I'm being told these cars are "kinda" hard to get so maybe they don't deal on these as much? I believe I have a buyer for my 4runner so this could all go down as early as tomorrow...any help would be appreciated. Here's a few pics of the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0150.jpg   IMG_0148.jpg   IMG_0149.jpg  
    Last edited by carnevino; 05-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.

First off, I went through the turmoil of WRX vs STI about 6 months ago. The logical decision for a daily driver, not heavily modded, not a track car, is going to be the WRX. You get 90% of the STI for $8500ish less + with better gas mileage. So, with that being said I went with the WRX.

Now, for the last 6 months I have been deeply regretting that decision. It may be illogical for my situation, but that hasn't stopped me from wishing I had gotten the STI instead. Luckily I have the finances to correct that error, so now I am trading in my rex for an STI at an out of pocket loss of about $5k. Lesson of the story? If you think you may want the STI, and can afford it, GET IT. Dont waste/lose your money like I did

As for the stereo, if you care about the audio quality of your music I would heavily suggest going aftermarket. The stock head unit sounds pretty awful no matter what you do, but it does have perks (bluetooth, steering wheel inputs, etc).

Lastly, check truecar.com for what the average sale price is in your area. It is absolutely true that STI's and WRX's are getting to be on the rarer side, so that is affecting sales to go above invoice in some areas (mine included). In my area the average on an STI is about $300 over invoice. Definitely don't pay MSRP though. If you want the best deal get a few dealerships to compete for your business.

Good luck and congrats
    Last edited by Dramlin; 03-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by carnevino
    Just got back from the test drive (WRX) and I'm pretty much sold on it or the STI they have on the floor. They are a bit hesitant on allowing test drives on the STI4 b44u44t4444 I'm pretty sure they will do it for me if I really am serious about the car and not the WRX.
    No test drive = no sale

Quote Originally Posted by carnevino
    Anyways, I still have a few questions I'm sure you guys can help me out with. Stereo/nav unit. You guys recommend the Subaru model or go w/ an aftermarket like from Crutchfield ( they have a nice looking Kenwood for around 8 bills ). They gave me a price on the SBT exhaust for 1k installed, so I'm pretty sure that's a fair deal but still want to get your opinions.
    Subaru radio options suck. An aftermarket unit like the Kenwood (which uses the Garmin interface) will be better. A H/U install isn't difficult, either.

Don't bother buying the catback through them. You can pick up a used SPT for cheap on the forums, and the install is 30 minutes tops, especially on a new car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wait $32k for the WRX or the STI???

$32k for the WRX would be absurd IMO...I paid $32k for an STI out the door in 2006, for a 2007 STI Limited.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Up here, 32K for a WRX Limited is pretty standard - actually, its about the best you can expect...

Its why I don't understand all the posts on these forums saying the STI is an $8500 adder over the WRX. I paid $37K for my '11 Limited STI (it was below MSRP, but I can't remember by how much), but they had a '11 Limited WRX for they were willing to sell for $32K. In my view - the STI was a $5K adder.

OP - The reason I have a '11 STI, is because in '07 I bought the WRX. Everyday I drove it, I wished I had bought the '07 STI that was sitting right next to it on the lot. I have never tracked the cars. I really liked my WRX. I absolutely love my STI.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    The reason I have a '11 STI, is because in '07 I bought the WRX. Everyday I drove it, I wished I had bought the '07 STI that was sitting right next to it on the lot. I have never tracked the cars. I really liked my WRX. I absolutely love my STI.
    +1

About 2 months after I had bought my WRX i test drove an STI, just because I wanted to feel the difference. I expected the cars to feel slightly different, to the point to where I would realize there isn't much of a difference, and I could stop regretting not getting the STI. To my suprise the STI felt like a completely different car, in a good way. Thanks to that experience my wallet has suffered greatly. With all that being said I really enjoy driving my wrx every day. I know the STI will be worth it though.
    Last edited by Dramlin; 03-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ej257- Dropping down close to 40k for an STI, or any car for that matter w/o a test drive would be a no go. I imagine they tell "some" people that but in noway did the salesman ever say he wouldn't allow me to drive it..matter of fact he said I could, but I think at first they wanted to make sure I just wasn't in there for laughs. Thanks for the head unit advice also.

You guys really have given me something to think about now. I'm going to give them a call back and see if we can't take the STI out now I did forget to mention the gave me a 500$ coupon for any upgrade ( SBT exhaust for example )..but I'd rather buy one from someone on here and use the 500$ towards something else...maybe a CAI? The buggy is kinda getting ahead of the horse here...guess I need the car 1st. Thanks again for everyone's advice, it's refreshing to get some good advice w/o all the "omgwtfbbq use the search feature". Believe me I do use the search feature like crazy, I read a lot...suffering from insomnia is a *****.

I would suggest not getting any power modifications from them with that coupon (aside from the exhaust, which really is a sound mod, not a power mod anyways) unless you plan to immediately get a tune of some sort. I'm not even sure, off the top of my head, that they offer anything that actually ups the power.

These cars don't react well to power mods without a tune to match.

The short throw shifter is pretty popular, and there's tons of other interesting options besides.

I used truecar.com as well, and it actually gives you a guaranteed pricing point of a certain amount higher or lower than invoice from different dealerships. Your dealership may not give you the lowest number, but if a nearby one gives a good price you could take that printout to your place as a bargaining chip.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I would suggest not getting any power modifications from them with that coupon (aside from the exhaust, which really is a sound mod, not a power mod anyways) unless you plan to immediately get a tune of some sort. I'm not even sure, off the top of my head, that they offer anything that actually ups the power.

These cars don't react well to power mods without a tune to match.

The short throw shifter is pretty popular, and there's tons of other interesting options besides.

I used truecar.com as well, and it actually gives you a guaranteed pricing point of a certain amount higher or lower than invoice from different dealerships. Your dealership may not give you the lowest number, but if a nearby one gives a good price you could take that printout to your place as a bargaining chip.
    SPT Catback won't add any power. No flash needed. Just a noise maker.

As for the SPT intake...not sure how Subaru views that. Intakes technically need to be flashed, but I know that was more specific for CAIs as opposed to Short Rams. The SPT short ram doesn't really flow any better or doesn't change intake charge temps or piping diameter like some CAIs (AEM) might...so that may also not be a technical power adding mod. It didn't do anything but create noise on the GDB WRXs/STIs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast