New and looking to buy a 2002-3 wrx wagon

This is a discussion on New and looking to buy a 2002-3 wrx wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there everybody, I'm new to the site, and hopefully I'll be an owner of a wrx wagon soon. I've ...

New and looking to buy a 2002-3 wrx wagon

Hey there everybody,
    I'm new to the site, and hopefully I'll be an owner of a wrx wagon soon. I've been looking at cars on craigslist and have found a few but everyone asks way more than what kelly blue book accesses the values at. All the cars do have multiple mods, including cold air intakes, intercoolers, exhaust, rims, tinted windows, and more stuff like that. I'm a pretty much a complete noob, but does all that stuff really cost as much as they are charging? It doesn't seem like it would cost as much as their asking price minus the kbb price. But I have no idea. Here's the two I'm considering: 2002 subaru wrx wagon and http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2869250620.html Are these over priced or are they fair? And if they are overpriced, what would you access their values at?
    Thanks,
    Mischa

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the first one - i would stay very far away from
    the second one- was deleted by the author.

rule of thumb: do not buy a modded subaru.

buying a used performance car is risky as it is, but adding modifications on top of it is even more risky since you dont know how they were installed, if everything was done correctly.. etc.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site

Don't rush into buying a car, unless you have to. If you're in that much of a rush, buy something cheap and good on gas until you have time to find a WRX that hasn't been molested like the first link you posted.

It's very easy to buy someone else's headache. When it comes time to buy a car, if you're buying it in Portland, take it to the guys @ PRE for a used car inspection. They'll be able to make sure it's in good shape for you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I read the thread about buying a new subaru and that helped alot. Now I know what I should look for and test while looking at a subaru. I know most of you are against buying modded cars, and I can understand why, but if I were to take the one I posted to PRE, and they inspected it, and possibly said it was good, would it be a god choice? Also, I have checked the KBB prices for subarus, but the prices really conflict with what everyone is asking, even dealerships. What do you guys think I should I expect to pay for a 2002-3 wrx wagon?
    Thanks again,
    Mischa

I just paid $10K for my 2003. But it was adult owned with only 70,000 miles on it and no mods other than a cat-back exhaust...
    2003 Bugeye Wagon
    1972 Datsun 510 Wagon

What? I just like wagons...

Right on. Did you buy it from an individual or from a dealership?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by superhoeper
    Hey thanks for the quick replies. I read the thread about buying a new subaru and that helped alot. Now I know what I should look for and test while looking at a subaru. I know most of you are against buying modded cars, and I can understand why, but if I were to take the one I posted to PRE, and they inspected it, and possibly said it was good, would it be a god choice? Also, I have checked the KBB prices for subarus, but the prices really conflict with what everyone is asking, even dealerships. What do you guys think I should I expect to pay for a 2002-3 wrx wagon?
    Thanks again,
    Mischa
    Up to you. If they gave it a green light, I would feel more comfortable saying go for it. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't; I would look for one that wasn't modified (that includes part-outs).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Alright. I don't know much about cars in general, but why exactly would it be a better idea to buy stock? Wouldn't the shop be able to tell if it's good or not? Don't get me wrong, I want to believe you, I'm just confused. Not that I'm against it, but do most of you run your cars stock? Or is it just better to do mods on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by superhoeper View Post
    Right on. Did you buy it from an individual or from a dealership?
    Got it from a dealer. Was a trade in, complete with clean carfax...
    2003 Bugeye Wagon
    1972 Datsun 510 Wagon

What? I just like wagons...

Alright. I don't know much about cars in general, but why exactly would it be a better idea to buy stock? Wouldn't the shop be able to tell if it's good or not? Don't get me wrong, I want to believe you, I'm just confused. Not that I'm against it, but do most of you run your cars stock? Or is it just better to do mods on your own?
    Basically you just have no idea how the person did what they did. Did they go by the book and have everything put on there correctly, in the right order, and with the correct supporting tunes?

Or did they put that intake on as a first mod and not learn until later that that could/will damage the engine, and instead just put it on cause INTAKE=MOAR POWER AND LOUDR YO.

Also, and this is a generalization, but I tend to think that if a car has been modded, it is more likely that it has been driven hard.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Many of us do mod the car. Yet many of us are also very experienced in modding the cars from a stock originality. We have researched and researched and know for the most part what won't mess up your car.

However at the same time, there are many younger folk who are quick to throw a BOV and an intake on an older WRX cause they are now affordable and it's fast and it "sounds really cool." Many of them will also unload those same poorly thought out and modded WRXs at any sign of trouble. Ergo EJ257 saying it's easy to buy someone else's headache, ESPECIALLY in a private sale on Craigslist.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind that back in 2002-2003 there really was not much tuning available. Many of us did basic mods based on what worked and didn't work for the other hundred of us doing the same thing for the first time. I would say not to buy a heavily modded car without a thorough knowledge of what was done, but not necessarily avoid them completely.

To the OPs original question, yes, a lot of folks took a $20,000 compact car and prompt sunk another $10,000 into them, sometimes more. I've probably only got $2-3000 in mine. People have the misguided opinion that they can add this cost onto the price of a used car. In many cases, it actually detracts from the value of the car, or only makes it marginally more valuable than a stock car. It depends on what was done.

I've seen Bugeye wagons listed from $6000-12,000. I'd guess most sell somewhere in the middle. I've had a few opportunities to sell mine in the $10,000 neighborhood, but it has really low mileage, I'm the original owner, and most folks interested in it know me, what I've done, and how I drive. I'm one of the exceptions to Calvinball's rule.

Good luck, and don;t just dive in at the first car you find.
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Hey thanks again everybody for all of the replies. I'm definitely going to explore my options. I called PRE today, and they seem pretty legit. I'm definitely going to have them check out any car before I buy it.

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"