New WRX 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX 2012 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been hearing opposite information about when to change oil first time around. My salesman told me to change my ...

New WRX 2012

I've been hearing opposite information about when to change oil first time around. My salesman told me to change my oil for time around is 3K. That's what my manual say it also. Is there a benefit changing at 1k versus 3K?

I also been reading here, a lot of people are changing their oil after reaching 1,000 miles. Is that because you finish your break in period. And do you recommend the service be done by subaru dealer or by another shop that specialized in Subaru repair/maintenance?

Lastly, is it ok to take the car for a mountain drive (up in Tahoe) which will result spending a lot at higher rpm which aren't good during break-ins? I just want to do the right thing....

By the way, I live Sacramento so I don't drive a lot on dirt road, mainly tarmac road. So the environment I live aren't severe condition but normal.

I asked all these dumb questions because this is my first ever Subaru Turbo AWD drive (my old car RSX type s and TC scion). so I new to this whole network of subaru tuners.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not as knowledgable as most of the enthusiasts on this site, but I went through the break in period a month or so ago. I believe people like to change the oil after the first 1k miles because while the car/motor is breaking in little metal pieces get in the oil. (i read this on a thread about breaking in the car, could be completely rite, could be completely wrong, not sure.) Next, I couldn't see why a Subaru tuner would be BETTER then a dealership that works on Subaru's all day, although the shop may be more knowledgable, many people will argue that Subaru built the car, therefor know the most in depth about it. Last, I don't know if that ride for the unbroken-in car is the best idea. i was told by the dealer to keep the car under 3.5k RPM's for first 1k miles, i'm sure someone who knows alot more then me can give u more information.

Enjoy the car!

I Support ClubWRX
    from what i know you dont have to change the oil at 1k you can wait till 3k or 3.5k for the first one. the dealer told me to come in at 3.5k to have mine changed and thats what i did. after that im changing my oil every 3k miles
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    I've been hearing opposite information about when to change oil first time around. My salesman told me to change my oil for time around is 3K. That's what my manual say it also. Is there a benefit changing at 1k versus 3K?

My manual clearly says that the first and every oil change should be done every 7,500. I'm not sure how would yours say something different? I will however do my first oil change at 3k.
    Last edited by 00TypeR1071; 02-28-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I believe people like to change the oil after the first 1k miles because while the car/motor is breaking in little metal pieces get in the oil. (i read this on a thread about breaking in the car, could be completely rite, could be completely wrong, not sure.)
    I guess I have a understanding if Subaru were concern about metal pieces get in the oil during the break in period, they would say that in their manual change it after 1,000 miles instead of stating to change oil at 3K.

And I supposed it would be cheaper to take it to specialized tuner than Subaru dealership where it cost an arm in the leg to do basic maintenance. That's the only reason I can come up with.....
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

I will do my first oil change at 3K and then every 7500 miles thereafter per recommended.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 00TypeR1071
    My manual clearly says that the first and every oil change should be done every 7,500. I'm not sure how would yours say something different? I will however do my first oil change at 3k.
    While "RTFM" is a great idea, they have since changed the service interval to a shorter duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX
    And do you recommend the service be done by subaru dealer or by another shop that specialized in Subaru repair/maintenance?
    Honestly? DIY.

An oil change is one of the simplest mechanical tasks you can do (other than changing a panel air filter or swapping a set of wheels/tires). I find comfort in knowing that it's being done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX
    Lastly, is it ok to take the car for a mountain drive (up in Tahoe) which will result spending a lot at higher rpm which aren't good during break-ins? I just want to do the right thing....
    Yes.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2012WRX View Post
    I guess I have a understanding if Subaru were concern about metal pieces get in the oil during the break in period, they would say that in their manual change it after 1,000 miles instead of stating to change oil at 3K.

And I supposed it would be cheaper to take it to specialized tuner than Subaru dealership where it cost an arm in the leg to do basic maintenance. That's the only reason I can come up with.....
    I stated i could be correct or incorrect, just saw it on another post. Manual cant steer u wrong.

I believe Subaru did it free for me, not sure if that was due to the warrantee or purchase of the new car.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    While "RTFM" is a great idea, they have since changed the service interval to a shorter duration.
    maybe i'm wrong lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I stated i could be correct or incorrect, just saw it on another post. Manual cant steer u wrong.

I believe Subaru did it free for me, not sure if that was due to the warrantee or purchase of the new car.
    Yeah Subaru did my first oil change as well at 3500 miles
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Yeah Subaru did my first oil change as well at 3500 miles
    Is that just for the first? is it because of warrantee? I'm expecting to go back at 16k miles because they said come back in 7,500.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is that just for the first? is it because of warrantee? I'm expecting to go back at 16k miles because they said come back in 7,500.
    Yes it was only the first oil change because they offered to do it for free. I believe they do it for everyone the first time. After that I've done it every 3k miles myself. I'm not gonna pay a lot to have someone do it for me
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    This ^
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I took mine in for the first oil change to the dealership. It was free and they did an all around inspection, topped all the fluids off, and washed the car as it was getting filthy during winter..
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast