Buying a WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buying a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It looks like I am about to purchase a 2012 WRX! I travel a lot so I am not going ...

Buying a WRX

It looks like I am about to purchase a 2012 WRX!
    I travel a lot so I am not going to get the STI, but I love the handling of the WRX and man that car is fun to drive!

I need a little help. I am putting together my "order" for the car, and I have a few questions about some of the options:

1. Is the 10" Kicker Sub worth the $$? Or, should I wait and do something after market?
    2. Can the WRX use the short throw shifter?
    3. Are there any notable differences between the 4 & 5 door besides looks? I haven't found any. (Is the passenger room about the same in the back? I am having trouble finding a 4 door to test drive)
    4. Is the "Moonroof Air Deflector" worth the $ and the change in look?
    5. Stock, SPT, or Other exhaust? (I'm not a huge fan of "loud" but I don't mind a low growl)
    6. Knowing what you know now... Is there anything you would do different when you purchased your WRX?

Thanks for the advice! I am sure I will have more questions and I will keep you posted on how the process is going!
    Last edited by RayZorback; 02-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    - RayZorback
    "Wherever we want to go, we'll go. What the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. " OBP FTW!

1980 Nissan 280 ZX (first car in High School)
    2000 Toyota Celica (13 year baby - RIP 2012)
    This trunk is amazing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayZorback View Post
    1. Is the 10" Kicker Sub worth the $$? Or, should I wait and do something after market?
    3. Are their any notable differences between the 4 & 5 door besides looks? I haven't found any. (Is the passenger room about the same in the back? I am having trouble finding one to test drive)
    5. Stock, SPT, or Other exhaust? (I'm not a huge fan of "loud" but I don't mind a low growl)
    6. Knowing what you know now... Is there anything you would do different when you purchased your WRX?
    1. Haven't heard it, but I have read that it is markedly better than the previous underseat version. Still, you can likely do better aftermarket if you want to put in the effort.
    2. A STS is a great idea. I have the factory one and I like it. Well worth the money - just be sure to get the bushings as well. Again, you can go aftermarket if you wish.
    3. The 5-door has more usable storage space, especially once the seats drop. Looks is up to the owner, though I like the 5DR better - fits the style well.
    4. Don't know - haven't really seen anyone with them.
    5. Stock has a nice sound straight up, and the SPT is a bit meaner sounding. If you plan on modding later you may want to think about staying stock so you can add a TBE later without losing money on the SPT.
    6. I ordered with the dimming mirror, STS, and armrest extension. Each was a great choice. Sometimes wish I'd gone for the SPT exhaust, but the cost wasn't in my plans at the time so I'll live. The stock sound is solid.

Have fun and good luck with the process.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

These are my opinions
    1. I wouldn't bother from what I've heard about the stock headunit/system. I would just go aftermarket
    2. When I went for my car they didn't have any WRX but i test drove an STI and I personally will be getting a short shifter. I didn't add it to the purchase list because I don't want to be paying for it for the next 4-5years when I can buy it a few months down the road no interest. I'll live. Just happy to be driving a manual again.
    3. Everything I've seen and read, no difference. It's personal preference. I got the 5 door because I want more space and I like the look of the hatch. Im coming from a car that didn't have a 60/40 split back seat and I like road trips
    4. All of my previous cars have had a moonroof and never needed nor saw the purpose of one.
    5. After watching a good number of youtube videos I decided to get the SPT. Reason being that I didn't want to have a stock exhaust sitting around and right now all I need is a little growl which it provides. I don't plan to do any heavy modding anytime soon.
    6. The only things I might have done differently is order the sliding armrest [which I still can] and gotten the Plasma Blue. I didn't know it was limited to the 2012 WRX and STI's the year before and i found better pictures now that show its true color. Ima love my DGM though :P
    2012 DGM WRX Hatch // SPT CBE // Cobb AP Stage 1 // 35% tint

3. Are there any notable differences between the 4 & 5 door besides looks? I haven't found any. (Is the passenger room about the same in the back? I am having trouble finding a 4 door to test drive)
    1. NO, do not get it, you can get a way nicer aftermarket set up for the same price if not cheaper.
    2. I would definitely recommend a short throw + bushings. If you want to go with the OEM ones, that fine. Personally, I'd prefer the Kartboy shifter + bushings
    3. The hatch definitely has more space to store stuff, but that's mostly a personal preference as far as looks vs function.
    4. I have never seen one of them on the car, so I guess that answers that. When the roof is back it has a pop up wind deflector and that works perfectly enough for me.
    5. If you want something quiet, but rumbles check out either the SPT, Invidia Q300, or the Nameless Axleback. FWIW, the Nameless get's my vote as I have one on my car and absolutely love it.
    6. Not a thing.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like I am about to purchase a 2012 WRX!
    I travel a lot so I am not going to get the STI, but I love the handling of the WRX and man that car is fun to drive!

I need a little help. I am putting together my "order" for the car, and I have a few questions about some of the options:

Thanks for the advice! I am sure I will have more questions and I will keep you posted on how the process is going!
    1) From what i heard the kicker sub from them isnt worth it, i bought an aftermarket diamond sub that is amazing.
    2) I got the STS from subaru and love it. definatly would recommend
    3) I prefer the 5 door, more room better looks.
    4) i think the deflectors look bad on any car
    5) Im thinking of going with another brand exhaust, but havent decided yet. Ive heard good reviews of the SPT though.
    6) Im happy with what i got. I probably would have gotten a few other accessories, but i can still get them so now biggie
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

1. I installed an aftermarket sub in the trunk. The 10" Kicker wasn't an option at the time of my purchase. Bring in some CD's of your favorite music, and see if you like the way it sounds/performs.
    2. Save your money on the short throw shifter, get a set of Kartboy bushings instead
    3. The interior passenger space is the same for both sedan and hatch. The hatch has a slightly smaller floor space in the trunk area, but is taller, and when you fold the seats down is more usable.
    4. Don't install a moonroof air deflector. My Passat has one, and it sucks. Between 15-30mph and 50+mph the wind makes it vibrate. Due to the vibration all the windows need to be down in order to have the sunroof open. Dirt and Leaves also get stuck under it.
    5. If you're not in to the "loud" exhaust thing, stick to stock.
    6. I wish I could have anticipated how much gas would cost me. Mine 2005 was rated at 20/27, and I averaged 22-23.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx
    1. NO, do not get it, you can get a way nicer aftermarket set up for the same price if not cheaper.
    2. I would definitely recommend a short throw + bushings. If you want to go with the OEM ones, that fine. Personally, I'd prefer the Kartboy shifter + bushings
    This.

In order of quality:
    OE sub
    Aftermarket powered sub
    Aftermarket sub/amp

It would be tough to find an aftermarket sub, enclosure, and amplifier for the price of the OE sub, but you can always pick up one of these, which will be better than OE (and likely cheaper):
    WoofersEtc.com - Basslink II - Infinity 10" Powered Subwoofer w/ Passive Radiator

Stock short shifter makes the shifts a little shorter, but you're still left with the sloppy feeling. You can buy this for around the same price, and have shorter throws than the OE unit and better feel:
    TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm confused on the traveling alot so you don't want the STi bit. I mean they are flashier, but after driving 150+ miles today in my 5-speed (admittedly, not the same tranny as the new ones), I was realllyyy wishing I had a sixth gear.

The reason is the suspension. The 6th gear might be nice, but the ride is rougher in the STI than in the WRX and if you are traveling 8 hours and want to step out of the car to sell something, smoother is better.
    - RayZorback
    "Wherever we want to go, we'll go. What the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. " OBP FTW!

This trunk is amazing.

If you're traveling 500 miles a day I would recommend something that gets better fuel mileage.

Like a Golf, Jetta or A3 TDI.

Edit: Like one of these Autoblog - 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition

Double Edit: I don't know how much driving you're actually doing in that time, I just did 8hours*60mph = 480miles.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 02-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree,if you are travelling so much it would be a smarter idea to get something with better gas mileage.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your a traveling salesman and want profit out of it buy a different car.

1. the oe speakers arent the greatest, id upgrade those first
    2. kartboy
    3. yup the 5 door gets my vote as more comfort, I own both a 5 door and 4 door
    4. no, sunroofs suck
    5. SPT or invidia q300
    6. Id of bought the STi.. Again, as Ive owned several STis and daily driven WRXs after owning the WRX a short period of time I typically sell again for another STi. If you upgrade ANY of the suspension on that WRX it will ride WORSE than an STI

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    6. Id of bought the STi.. Again, as Ive owned several STis and daily driven WRXs after owning the WRX a short period of time I typically sell again for another STi. If you upgrade ANY of the suspension on that WRX it will ride WORSE than an STI
    Not to hijack the thread, but would you mind elaborating? As my delivery date gets closer, and I do more and more reading, I'm starting to ponder what things I might want to do after I've had the car for a bit.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks for the "different car" suggestions, but I'm not concerned with gas milage. 25 mpg is wonderful compared to my 15 mpg truck that I am in right now. I travel long distance once or twice a week. The rest of the time is going to various businesses in that city. Also, there are various maps I could use when I have it tuned so that I can get better milage and different octanes when I need it. That kind of control is a huge bonus. Since my company pays for my gas and I am in our local office half the time, this really isn't a big issue for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am looking through all of them now.
    I am going to test drive another WRX tomorrow that is a 4 door. The STI I drove was fun, but pretty rough. I could feel every line across the road and every rock. I could even feel it when I drove over the painted line vs the asphalt. It was much rougher than my Celica which road like a sports car. From what I have heard, the WRX has a smoother ride and is a bit quieter due to the suspension and engine size. I'll know for myself soon.

Question: I can't find a good photo anywhere of the "front lip spoiler" option on the 2012. Anyone have a pic of the WRX with & without that thing?

Thanks again for all the feedback. It has been helpful. Keep it coming! I am probably going to place my order next week if all goes well.
    - RayZorback

This trunk is amazing.

I Support ClubWRX
    are you looking for pics of the lip from subaru? also the sti doesnt have a different size engine, i believe its the same as the wrx, i think even the turbo is the same. the suspension is different though
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.