what else can i do to my engine??? 2005 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on what else can i do to my engine??? 2005 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Champ_WRX_77 thanks.. when i get my down pipe and uppipe do i need to get it tuned ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ_WRX_77
    thanks.. when i get my down pipe and uppipe do i need to get it tuned after i get the pipes put on or can it wait till after i get my fuel injectors?
    You're fine with the Cobb AP.

Your other mods are useless / draining power with that map, but yeah.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Two up Two down.... VA.. U know what it is
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Your other mods are useless / draining power with that map, but yeah.
    What should i do to reduce the power being drained? and all i am getting is negative feedback with the cobb AP... really that big of a difference between the Cobb AP any other pro tune?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ_WRX_77 View Post
    What should i do to reduce the power being drained? and all i am getting is negative feedback with the cobb AP... really that big of a difference between the Cobb AP any other pro tune?
    get rid of the front mount until you have a turbo that needs it, get rid of the BOV for a BPV.

And a protune will be much better than a cobb tune as protunes are created for your specific car and cobb tunes are generic.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    well you didnt list the single biggest power gain which is removing the catalytic converter in your up pipe for a catless version.The other is that the HKS Downpipe is a piece of junk unless your running the newest version. Get an up pipe and down pipe.

Since your only stage 2 and your going to change those pipes I suggest a blouch turbo charger, larger injectors, turbo inlet and a bigger fuel pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ_WRX_77 View Post
    Ok thanks for the help.. Just talked to a guy at all aspects he is saying to do my uppipe first to basically save my turbo... ideas?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    The FMIC is not ideal for smaller turbos, since spool and throttle response are the big benefit.

The BOV is not ideal for MAF-based cars, since it vents metered air (instead of recirculating it), causing a slight rich condition.

The Cobb AP is a great medium for tuning. You can get a similar tune via OpenECU, which is cheaper (since you don't have the overhead for a device that typically sits in a box).

UNYSOC

ok all good advice thanks to all again for helping a new guy out... i think ill start out with the uppipe, down pipe, and injectors... what size fuel injectors would be best? and what difference does it make in the size?

I Support ClubWRX
    ok all good advice thanks to all again for helping a new guy out... i think ill start out with the uppipe, down pipe, and injectors... what size fuel injectors would be best? and what difference does it make in the size?
    What are your overall plans? I wouldn't bother with injectors on the TD04. If you see a turbo swap in your future (which, with a budget of $1500, you should be able to do), I'd go with the 650s I recommended earlier.

UNYSOC

ok so if im going to go ahead n do the downpipe, uppipe, injectors, and pro tune should i just go ahead and get an upgraded turbo? Ill bite the bullet in throw down the extra cash... basically i just want a strong reliable car that i can drive daily without to much hassle

I Support ClubWRX
    ok so if im going to go ahead n do the downpipe, uppipe, injectors, and pro tune should i just go ahead and get an upgraded turbo? Ill bite the bullet in throw down the extra cash... basically i just want a strong reliable car that i can drive daily without to much hassle
    If you're going to do injectors (which should be fed by an upgraded fuel pump), buy a Blouch 16G as well. It will make the uppipe install easier, and you're there already.

Only thing not in my list is aftermarket boost control; talk to AAM to see if they prefer an MBC or BCS (both is ideal, but they may not feel comfortable tuning that).

UNYSOC

Awesome thanks man u been a big help so heres what i am getting out of all this for what i need

-uppipe
    -downpipe
    -fuel pump
    -fuel injectors
    -16 g blouch turbo

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    well you didnt list the single biggest power gain which is removing the catalytic converter in your up pipe for a catless version.

The other is that the HKS Downpipe is a piece of junk unless your running the newest version. Get an up pipe and down pipe.

Since your only stage 2 and your going to change those pipes I suggest a blouch turbo charger, larger injectors, turbo inlet and a bigger fuel pump.
    The car has a catless downpipe already, full turbo back exhaust ." - my cars previous owner

So I jus need a
    -fuel pump
    -turbo
    -injectors
    -uppipe
    -pro tune

I Support ClubWRX
    no, your up pipe is NOT catless unless he replaced it also, a full turbo back does not mean cat less up pipe

Ok so that means I just need the uppipe though right??

I Support ClubWRX
    can you post a pic of your downpipe where it bolts to the turbo? You have an HKS which is probably an old school non bell mouth type down pipe, that is why we have recommended a new downpipe. here is a few pics of non bell mouth vs bell mouth. Bell mouth is needed for turbo up grades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1297d1028681277-hks-downpipe-review-hks-dp-002.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	102827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUBARU_Invida_Version_2_Polished_Downpipe.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	102828

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.