New From Utah :D
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New From Utah :D within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone my name is Nate First thing first, I'm a complete nub to Subarus =\ now that we have ...

New From Utah :D

Hey everyone my name is Nate
    First thing first, I'm a complete nub to Subarus =\ now that we have that out of the way, I still haven't boughten one yet, but currently looking into buying and actually pretty soon....I'm looking at like a day or 2 haha, but I have questions first that is why I joined here so hopefully and knowingly I'll get some answers to help make my decision. I have been into modifying cars for a while now and currently working a 2004 Honda Civic EX coupe, but all in all I'm getting 1 problem after another so I'm thinking about cashing in my losses and getting something else. Currently looking at a 2004 WRX non STI model and it has about 105,000 miles on it, please tell me that this would be okay to get. I have heard that Subaru engines don't last that long, granted any engine will go out if mistreated but I heard avg life span is about 200k so would this really be worth it???? Either way though I'm excited to learn some new things especially about the Subaru brand So any advice and help would be much appreciated and gladly accepted

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome fellow Utahrd!

There really isn't any designated time where engines will fail with Subarus. As you stated if they're mistreated or beaten on they will go sooner, but there are people well into the 300k range and beyond on stock engines with retunes and some minor modifications.

I just passed 104k in my 06, have had it since new had a 2002 WRX before that, and it's still as strong as ever. I have no reason to believe I couldn't make it passed 300k or 400k if I treat it right.

As an aside, be aware that Subarus are not Hondas. They are VERY different and so modifications must be done very carefully and with a lot of research. I say this because far too many people who have modified Hondas have come to the Subaru side of things with the same mentality they had when modifying their Hondas and have paid very dearly for it. Best thing for you to do is research, research, research.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 02-16-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

"Welcome fellow Utahrd!"
    im in the murray area

glad to see utah folks on here....anub makes an awesome point in the last paragraph "research, research, research. "

I also agree with anub's approach on honda vs subaru modification mentality....they are two different animals

I cant speak to the mileage factor, as i only have 50k on my 06 wrx....but most engines run well, when they are treated well.... my brothers RS is up to 200k.

GL finding a nice WRX....you should buy my 06

Thank you guys for the information it has helped me a lot and its nice to see other fellow utah people on such a big site, on this other site i go to for my Honda there are no other utah people its ridiculous hah, but you guys made a good point subarus and hondas are completely different cars and shoudnt be treated the same or have mods done to it the same im going to see the 04 wrx tomorrow and very possibly buy it

Virtue - how much are you selling your 06 wrx for?

oh and by the way im in the West Valley Area

the 04's only have the ej20 (2.0L motor) ...you probally know that...the 06-07 WRX's have the EJ25 (2.5 L)
    its actually an 07 lol, i was kinda faded when i wrote that, im interested in an STI , so ive considered selling my rex.

i paid 18k about 6 months ago...ive put about 7k on it, its currently at 55000 miles....regular oil changes , only driven to church on sundays ...it has been smoked in, id be comfortable letting it go at 17k....then you can haggle me to 16500....if thats in your budget, PM me if you would like to look at it or would like more info

but i understand the smoking is a huge turn off to alot of buyers :P

GL with the 04 !

Virtue

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.