Calvinball's lengthy introduction...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's lengthy introduction... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello ClubWRX! A lot of intro threads start and stop with a "hello" and a "I'm waiting for my 2012 ...

Calvinball's lengthy introduction...

Hello ClubWRX!

A lot of intro threads start and stop with a "hello" and a "I'm waiting for my 2012 WRB base hatch." Personally, I like reading lengthy story-like posts, so my intro post is going to go into a bit more depth, as I have a feeling I'll be on this board for quite a while. Cliff notes for those who don't feel like reading: Hi! I'm waiting for my '12 WRB base hatch to be delivered sometime in March.

But how did I end up here? 5 years ago I was looking to sell my aging '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which served me well through half of college and a couple years afterwards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0286l.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	102338 (That isn't me, that's a friend of mine. I tried to find a good pic of the car on it's own, but I thought this was more hilarious)

The GTP was fun, I chipped it and did an intake, some exhaust, and some of the engine mounts. Loads of torque (well over 300) to the front wheels...wheeee! But in the end, it was an old Grand Prix. So I said goodbye and started test driving. Looking for a car coming off a lease, I test drove VW GTI's (both the 1.8t and the VR6) and liked them, but was wary of the reliability reputation they had. Tested a Cobalt SS (the old supercharged one) and was underwhelmed. It felt cramped and not fast, even though by the numbers it was quicker than the GTI iirc. Test drove a WRX as well, and liked it. On a whim I drove a RSX-S, not expecting to like it because there was no torque. But it wasn't bad, and then I realized I didn't have to shift at 5500 rpms. I took it into the 6ks, 7ks, and close to 8k and decided I liked the little rev-happy honda. I knew the WRX was also a great car, but I was quite worried about getting a used one, figuring chances were high I'd get one that was beat on a bit.

So that began my life with the RSX.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2yes.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	102339

At it's height, I had a race header, intake, reflash, and engine mounts. It was a fun little car, handled great and could move pretty well in those higher rpms, and with all the work done was somewhat quick around town in the low/mid rpms. The past couple years, however, I started to have nagging regrets about not getting a WRX whenever I would see one. In the past 3 months, those nagging doubts bloomed into a strong desire to move on from my RSX to bigger and better things.

I went to the subaru dealership down the street from me, and was dismayed at the numbers they were giving me. For a month or so I went back and forth between resigning myself to looking for a 2009 WRX and trying to figure out a way to make a new one work. In my desperation, I even went to a Mazda dealership and test drove a Speed3, figuring they are a little cheaper (especially since my fiance's uncle works there) and maybe I would like that as well. It impressed me, but the harsher ride turned me away, and the awesome acceleration/AWD of the stock WRX kept calling to me. They also obliterated the idea of a GTI, despite my one gearhead friend's attempts to steer me into a sister car to his. No...I was set on the WRX.

And then I stumbled, somehow, onto Truecar.com. That site gave me 3 dealerships with guaranteed prices much lower than my local Subaru did. I went to the dealership with the lowest (didn't hurt that it was in the town I grew up in) and came out with a brand new WRX ordered. My favorite part of the ordering process?
    Salesman: "So, what color were you thinking...light grey? Dark grey?"
    Calvinball: "Actually, I kinda like blue." (blue is my favorite color, and surprisingly I've never had a blue car)
    Salesman: "Oh! The famous blue!"

So here I be. A little over four weeks until my car is delivered with a buyer lined up for the RSX. Some 18 year old kid who argued with his parents over the budget they gave him because he loves RSX's so much. I'm happy my car is going to someone who will appreciate it, but I'm happier that I will soon be returning to the world of driving with torque. I can't wait to spend many years with my rally blue scooby, and probably those same years with the folks on this board.

Speaking of this board, some may have noticed that I've been lurking about, posting a few posts here and there before this official greeting. I've also spent some time over at NASIOC, put up a few posts, and I think I'm much more comfortable here. Not that I've really gotten a perfect picture of the community here; I do know that I have at least been acknowledged in the few posts I've made. NASIOC seemed too big, or something, and nobody even noticed my presence. What I've seen so far here makes me much more comfortable than there, and much more than I ever was at ClubRSX, where I never really got integrated.

So, hopefully some people enjoyed my lengthy discourse here. I promise not all of my posting here will be so mammoth, and I look forward to sharing my WRX experience with all you like-minded people!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Thanks for a good read. I, for one, always enjoy a well written out tale. Gives me a much better clue what's in your head. Keep us updated!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Thanks! Will do, I intend to hang out a bit and learn more about these cars, then start a build thread. Now, since I work in the field I work in, my actual build progress will be slow, so I'll have to make mountains out of molehills and discuss at length my planning/thought processes/etc.

Welcome!!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Thanks!

You have any plans for it yet?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Not really, gotta get those thoughts together first

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome and nice introduction.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Thanks to both of you!

Can you tell me more about this truecar.com thing. How it works, how much you got off, what region you are in. I am looking to buy in may, and want to know as much as I can
    Thanks

hola

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.