Want to buy 02 WRX, help!

This is a discussion on Want to buy 02 WRX, help! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi I'm new here. But I've found a local 2002 Impreza WRX. It looks to be in good condition, and ...

Want to buy 02 WRX, help!

Hi

I'm new here. But I've found a local 2002 Impreza WRX. It looks to be in good condition, and I'm hoping for a test drive this weekend!

It's done 65,000 miles and the dealer is asking for £4495 (recently reduced from £4995). Has full service history apparantly and everything seems to sit right with it. Only mods are an STI spoiler and big bore exhaust (unsure of brand on this).

Do you guys have any advice, ie what to look out for etc. Is it worth getting one with 65k on the clock or should I hold out for the cold weather to clear up and see if any younger/less used ones come on the market?

-Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a thread running around here that will answer all your questions...it might be a sticky.

Can you get some pics and post them up for us?

As for the exhaust, it's possible that it could be a full on Turbo Back, thus making it possibly Stage 2, which is not a bad thing, but it would be modded and possibly driven a little harder. Also possible that the previous owner might not have had the proper engine management flashed to Stage 2. Check to the left side of the intercooler and take a look at the heatshield...can you tell if the downpipe has been changed?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    The miles are low by US standards. Be aware the miles indicated are stored in the instrument itself, not on the computer, so swapping instruments means presto, a new "miles" figure appears. Since you have FSH, that's very good. Is MOT an issue? For that model, check the radiator, the works ones failed routinely (I am on my third). On later (younger) models the exhaust would have warranted a reflash, but the 02 car doesn't mind so the exhaust can be a back box or a full turbo-back exhaust and you should be OK. The exhaust rarely means the car was driven by an elderly lady to church though... Also check the how-to-buy threads for info on what to inspect more closely.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks guys, sound advice. Will take this on, do some reading and let you know how it goes on Saturday. Also will try and get some pics up tomorrow to see what you think to it.

As promised the pics are on this link (this is the autotrader page that I found it on originally).

2002 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX 4WD 4DR ONLY 65000 MILES

Providing the weather holds out I'll be going to see it again on Saturday, hopefully I'll remember everything I've read in the past couple days. If it's all good I'll bring it back home with me!

Looks clean...definitely has an exhaust of some kind, the mudflaps are aftermarket, and the wheels obviously...

We can't see pics of the engine though unfortunately, so we can't help any further.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah it does look good. Taking a couple friends with me tomorrow also, one of which is a mate who runs the garage I use, has owned multiple jap cars (currently in an R33 GTS-T) so hopefully with those guys and all your advice I'll be able to make a good decision. If I do get it, I'll post pics from all angles including the engine bay

Thanks for your help guys, very much appreciated!

Sadly the dealer I planned to buy this from turned out to be a bit of a horrible person! He sold the car the day before I was due to buy it. BUT despite toying with the idea of a 200SX I have stuck to my guns and found another WRX AWD but the dealer doesn't receive the car until the 18th. But this one looks to be in even better condition only 60,000, plus FSH and cambelt change at 53,000 miles all receipts etc. So will have to wait and see!

I Support ClubWRX
    "Wait and See" is a great strategy. These are mass produced Japanese cars, there is always another one around. Hold onto your money until one that's just right comes along.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    "Wait and See" is a great strategy. These are mass produced Japanese cars, there is always another one around. Hold onto your money until one that's just right comes along.
    Well said.

If you don't find exactly what you want, then it's not worth plunking down the thousands. Its a lot of money to spend on something that is only partially of what you want or expect. It took me 3-4 months of searching after I decided I wanted another STI, until I found the right one.

You guys are definitely right. I'm still waiting it out. I've noticed since the weather has cleared up, snow gone n all, a lot more WRXs have popped up and many in very good condition. Planning (hoping) to find one for around May time now1

Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"