ENGINE MODS (STARTERS) (fuel pumps...injectors etc...)

This is a discussion on ENGINE MODS (STARTERS) (fuel pumps...injectors etc...) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to this site but I consider myself familiar with most of the terminology. But I ...

ENGINE MODS (STARTERS) (fuel pumps...injectors etc...)

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to this site but I consider myself familiar with most of the terminology. But I have a question or two. Currently I'm driving a sonic yellow bugeye with black scoop and spoiler, It's pretty much bone stock except the previous owner removed the air box silencer and I currently have (not installed because I had to get it smogged) an hks high power exhaust system. First off, I'd like to begin some light modifications, anything from interior to engine (any suggestions?). I've looked into fuel pump and injectors and decided that the sti pinks (550ish cc) were right for my modification goals. I've heard that intakes (cold air) shouldn't be installed until after exhaust , injectors/pump, and engine management have been taken care of. I'm looking forward to modifying it but the engine management seems to be very expensive and debated over. I'd like to turn up boost but what should I use? I've heard electronic boost controllers are unnecessary and pricey over a manual controller. Is there a simple way to raise boost levels and other computer things like fuel air ratio (I'm a noob I know)to the proper levels for overall power gain? could i take it to a tuner and have them do it?

Here's my list of anticipated mods I'd like to install, any help/constructive criticism would be appreciated. ENGINE- install hks high power exhaust system (to remove cats and prep for increased boost), fuel pump (walbro 255), sti pink injectors, Injun cold air intake (with hydro lock), turn up boost? INTERIOR - kartboy shifter and new bushings (is the shifter worth it? is stock better?), my shift knob is razo and silver but scratched alot so new one of those, gauges (boost, a/f ratio, exhaust temp), change all backlights to red, and get a boot for my e brake. Possible sway bars not sure what to get though. HELP ME MAKE MY STOCK AT LEAST LEVEL 1 BADASS aha. ps: I don't like aftermarket blow off valves

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by h_wells3000 View Post
    (any suggestions?).
    See the link in my signature.

I've looked into fuel pump and injectors and decided that the sti pinks (550ish cc) were right for my modification goals.
    They are entirely unnecessary for your modification goals.

I've heard that intakes (cold air) shouldn't be installed until after exhaust , injectors/pump, and engine management have been taken care of.
    I would not instal an intake then either.

I'm looking forward to modifying it but the engine management seems to be very expensive and debated over.
    By whom is it debated? What is the nature of the debate?

I'd like to turn up boost but what should I use?
    It's not that kind of party. Let the computer handle boost. To manipulate boost, look into a management solution, either DIY or a commercial product.

I've heard electronic boost controllers are unnecessary and pricey over a manual controller.
    You don't need either.

could i take it to a tuner and have them do it?
    Sure. In exchange for $ they will remap the car and will probably compensate for any non-factory components you have chosen to instal, within reason.

Here's my list of anticipated mods I'd like to install, any help/constructive criticism would be appreciated.

fuel pump (walbro 255), sti pink injectors,
    Neither is necessary.

Injun cold air intake (with hydro lock),
    No.

turn up boost?
    No.

Possible sway bars not sure what to get though. HELP ME MAKE MY STOCK AT LEAST LEVEL 1 BADASS aha. ps: I don't like aftermarket blow off valves
    See the link in my signature and explore "what to do first" sticky threads on this site.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hey thanks man I did some more research and realized this post was kindof dumb. the engine management just kinda scared me aha. But i looked into the cobb accessport and realized that it was simple. But thanks you seem to know your stuff.