Noobie needing info...

This is a discussion on Noobie needing info... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I'm RJ from Houston. My main purpose of joining is to grab as much info as I can because ...

Noobie needing info...

Hello!

I'm RJ from Houston. My main purpose of joining is to grab as much info as I can because I'm in the market for a car.

I have found a 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS for a good (IMO) price although it has 150k miles.

With that much miles, what should I look out for? Any known issues at high mileage? Since the owner has no clue what has been done to the car (other than a recent headgasket change) I'll probably have to replace parts as they wear out - or show signs that they need to be replaced - which isnt my cup of tea because I'm the type who changes parts at the specified time/mileage.

Thanks and I hope to own a Subie soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

To be perfectly honest, I'd pose the same questions over at Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum: RS25.com or the NA section of NASIOC. Subaru turbo drivetrains are very different from the NA drivetrains. Regardless, I would have a leakdown/compression test performed on the vehicle to investigate the health of the motor internals. I have heard that the early NA 2.5L motors had head-gasket issues, so that's good that the part was recently replaced. I would stay away from a vehicle with modifications, though I'm sure it's much easier to find a stock RS than a stock WRX/STi.

Even the turbo drivetrains have a lot of life left in them at 150K miles if well-cared for. I don't see why the NA platform would be any less reliable.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/