New to the WRX Community

This is a discussion on New to the WRX Community within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just recently picked up my first WRX (2012). I'm also new to learning about cars because I've always owned ...

New to the WRX Community

I just recently picked up my first WRX (2012). I'm also new to learning about cars because I've always owned beaters so I never took the time to learn about cars. I have about 800 miles on her now. I have a multitude of questions to ask the forum but I'll start with the most pressing issues for me now.

1. I need to get some winter tires and I want to drop down to 16" steelies for my winters. Any recommendations on which wheels and tires to go with if I want to be fiscally conservative on my winter set.

2. I've been reading about others having sporadic problems with shifting into 1st, 2nd and reverse. Any new thoughts on the issue? I've been kind of rough on the car because it's been a while since I've driven stick and a couple of my hot shot friends didn't listen to me when I told them to be gentle while breaking her in. Could I have done damage?

3. Any quick fixes for curb rash on the rims? Another hot shot friend tried to pull into a street spot and scraped the crap out of my right front wheel.

Thanks for your help and don't be too harsh on me. I know I'm waving my noob flag pretty hard right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	101999

This pic is from the dealer. I'll work on getting a better one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First, welcome to the club and congrats on the new ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajh0511 View Post
    1. I need to get some winter tires and I want to drop down to 16" steelies for my winters. Any recommendations on which wheels and tires to go with if I want to be fiscally conservative on my winter set.
    If you don't want anything that fancy looking and want to save a little bot of money, go for a set of 16" steelies. A lot of people run them for winter (myself included) and they're very easy to find for the price. Plus, they don't look too bad. Another alternative is older WRX stock wheels. Any WRX wheels from 02-now will fit your car. Just make sure they're stock wheels with the 5x100 fitment. NOTE: STi wheels will NOT fit your car.

2. I've been reading about others having sporadic problems with shifting into 1st, 2nd and reverse. Any new thoughts on the issue? I've been kind of rough on the car because it's been a while since I've driven stick and a couple of my hot shot friends didn't listen to me when I told them to be gentle while breaking her in. Could I have done damage?
    As long as you're not slamming into the gears and forcing them in or side stepping and launching the car, you'll be fine. I know some other members have complained about "sloppy" shifting, but I have not experienced it.

3. Any quick fixes for curb rash on the rims? Another hot shot friend tried to pull into a street spot and scraped the crap out of my right front wheel.
    I forget where, but there is wheel touch up paint somewhere in the internets.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum & congrats on the purchase

1.steelies with General Altimax Arctics

2.Go easy on it.Never force it in(insert here).

Try not to shift into 1st when the car is in motion.And if it doesn't want to go into reverse,first shift into first & bring it back into reverse.

3.No idea what to do with curb rash except maybe have it professionally repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    NOTE:04 STi wheels will fit your car. .
    fixed.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    NOTE: The only STi wheels that will fit your car are the '04 STi. All stock WRX wheels will fit it.
    truly fixed, and clarified.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    What they said. I can't help but ask - Why are you letting your "hot shot friends" drive your new car?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    What they said. I can't help but ask - Why are you letting your "hot shot friends" drive your new car?
    Fair point given the recent turn of events. My buddies and I have always drooled over WRXs like kids in a candy shop so when I got one, I couldn't make them watch me as I whipped around in my new rex.

Thanks for the input guys. It's greatly appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just got snow tires and spent 815 of 4 16 in steel rims and firestone winterforce tires
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I have found that every manual tranny car is a bit different from others in terms of where they engage and how forgiving they are. The WRX seems to be in the middle of the spectrum. Get used to putting it into gear with authority (not slamming it, but solid shifts - no lazy ease it in type of stuff) and you will be fine. Reverse does stick, but as was said, putting into any other gear (clutch still depressed) then into reverse takes care of the problem.

And please stop letting your friends drive your car. Until they pay the bills they ride in the passenger seat.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    And please stop letting your friends drive your car. Until they pay the bills they ride in the passenger seat.
    +1
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome to the Club! Don't fret about your tranny. If you feel your car shifts funny, then bring it up, but until that actually happens, I wouldn't stress about it. There has been talk of messed up clutches and shifting "problems" but they're few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    +2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me