Oil leak

This is a discussion on Oil leak within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys my 2004 wrx is leaking oil (2 or 3 drops overnight) just wondered if its anything to worry ...

Oil leak

Hi guys my 2004 wrx is leaking oil (2 or 3 drops overnight) just wondered if its anything to worry about my local garage says crankshaft gasket between gearbox and engine but my trusted mechanic says its coming from sump plug and i also have a small leak coming from cv gaitor its booked in tomorrow for new sump plug and gaitors and just wondering if you think this will cure it or any advice really??
    Also wondered what oil i should be putting in it??
    And when the timing belt should be changed aparently its was done at 59,000 miles but now on 89,000 miles?
    Any help would be great

Many thanks
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The sump plug itself is unlikely to be the issue, there is a small crush ring washer that if re-used and on an over-torqued sump plug can leak. This should not be a problem at all.

Neither should the CV leak; if it's relatively fresh then no further repair will be necessary, but have them do both inner and outer gaitors and use authentic parts.

Use whatever oil is specified by the works in the manual and pick the correct viscosity for your area. I happen to use a synth 5W-40 but your area is different.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Many thanks for your help had it done today inner and outer gaiters and new sump plug the washer on the sump plug wasnt in brilliant condition and just pulled up about an hr ago so going to check see if i am losing any oil now!

Thanks again