Ordered my WRX a month ago

This is a discussion on Ordered my WRX a month ago within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I ordered my 2012 WRX 5-door a little over a month ago and can not wait for it to come ...

Ordered my WRX a month ago

I ordered my 2012 WRX 5-door a little over a month ago and can not wait for it to come in. However, I'm already trying to figure out a way to make the tail lights look better. I'm not even opposed to forking over a chunk of cash to completely replace them but I'm not finding any options out there (most likely the models too new). I was hoping to be filled in on some options out there other than just tinting them. Thanks for the help, I'm really looking forward to be a part of the Subaru community.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What I would like to do is paint the chrome in the tail lights PBP rather than do a tint but I'm not sure what all is involved in taking the assembly apart, plus my car isnt here yet either. GL with figuring out what you are going to do.
    Bryan | Stink-Eye Mob #265

07 Impreza Outback Sport, 5spd
    Sad I don't have this anymore:
    2012 WRX Premium, Plasma Blue Pearl hatch, Stage 1+
    check out my build thread

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bpeters87 View Post
    What I would like to do is paint the chrome in the tail lights PBP rather than do a tint but I'm not sure what all is involved in taking the assembly apart, plus my car isnt here yet either. GL with figuring out what you are going to do.
    I've heard most people just do overlays. I haven't messed with the newer models but on the 06-07 taillights you need to dremel them open.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Overlays would be the best bet for the taillights.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i really dont like the overlays.just my opinion ...i am going to remove the lens and tint them..i like that better. our car is PBP hatch premium. and just had the five windows tinted..front was 50% and rears 35%. going to paint the summer wheels gold. now have the silver winter wheels on, which i like the contrast better than the dark grey..jeff

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by '12 WRX Premium View Post
    i really dont like the overlays.just my opinion ...i am going to remove the lens and tint them..i like that better. our car is PBP hatch premium. and just had the five windows tinted..front was 50% and rears 35%. going to paint the summer wheels gold. now have the silver winter wheels on, which i like the contrast better than the dark grey..jeff
    Id be careful with tinting/smoking tails. Cops can be picky in certain areas. If you're going to take the effort to crack open the tail lights (if they are like the 06-07s) you might as well just paint the inside. It's a much cleaner look IMO and won't draw attention from the police.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

i was talking about the inside not the outside...and here its not a problem...only 600,000 in the whole dang state. they have better things to do...i sell lots of tint style paints at my store for the R/C cars..jeff

I Support ClubWRX
    I tried paint on the outside.They look terrible now.

Will be doing the overlays soon.Its just damn hard getting this paint off .

FYI the outer lens costs $300 a piece & the reverse costs $200 a piece if something were to go wrong.That about $1000 in total.

Overlays cost $50.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

not wrried about screwing them up...not much i can't do properly..all it takes is confedience and common sense in every project..jeff

@rage, I found the whole tail light assembly on subaru parts for ~160 i believe. At lunch so cant bring it up right now. Ill find it and post it when im back from lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters87 View Post
    @rage, I found the whole tail light assembly on subaru parts for ~160 i believe. At lunch so cant bring it up right now. Ill find it and post it when im back from lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does the new assembly make them red?

No it would be the stock color but if a mess up should happen it would be replacable without breaking the wallet, not cheap but not super expensive either.

Here is the link to the replacement tail light:

LCM SUBARU PARTS SUPERSTORE

I think the overlays look better than the paint and I didn't want to have to worry about them fading. I didn't do the overlays myself but I think most places will do it for about 120 (material included). Mine are actually vinyl pieces b/c the red tint wouldn't stick on. Just my .02